Norton, VA / Jefferson National Forest- Mtbr.com

Apr 2007

Norton, VA / Jefferson National Forest

We'll be visiting family in Norton this weekend, (9/21-9/23), and I'm thinking about riding the trail that runs from High Knob to Ramsey.

Any one interested in meeting for a ride Saturday morning? I haven't ridden any of the trails in that area in 10 years but remember them as being pretty fun. If there are any better trails out there - I'd be interested in riding them instead.

I can be reached here or at [email protected].

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    double post
    Last edited by hillbilly_hank; 09-20-2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: double post

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    We're planning to ride on High Knob early Saturday from Edith Gap to Bark Camp. There are some hike a bike sections but it's pretty fun. Let me know if you're interested.

Apr 2007
    I am definitely interested.

Two questions:

What time?
    Where's Edith Gap?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Time is unknown at this point... I'll find out tonight.
    Edith Gap is up the Tacoma section toward Bark Camp then take a right, then a left... I'll be leaving from Norton, it would be easiest to follow me. One thing I must warn... this section of trail is rough and steep. The distance isn't too long but it will work you anyway.

Apr 2007
    Sounds like a challenge. We have similar terrain here in West Virginia. Just let me know when. I'm looking forward to the ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Devils Fork

I hiked up the creek this summer and it looked like maybe a bikable spur to right, not far from the trailhead. I'm planning to explore this some time. Has anyone ridden it ?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind
    I hiked up the creek this summer and it looked like maybe a bikable spur to right, not far from the trailhead. I'm planning to explore this some time. Has anyone ridden it ?
    I've hiked Devils Fork coming in from the bottom (past the old school house) and from the top on the Straight Branch trail. Coming from top to bottom would be rideable but if you continue past Devils Bathtub the trail will become pretty much unrideable for a good portion. That section of trail is foggy in my mind but I don't remember it being rideable. Maybe I need to recon that again, it could be a fun trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Devils Loop Trail

HH
    We parked at 619 by an abandoned white house and hiked up Devils Bathtup trail which has some incredible swimming holes.
    It sounds like you can also intersect DLT via the Straight Fork Ridge trail from High Knob somewhere on Little Mountain.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    HH
    We parked at 619 by an abandoned white house and hiked up Devils Bathtup trail which has some incredible swimming holes.
    It sounds like you can also intersect DLT via the Straight Fork Ridge trail from High Knob somewhere on Little Mountain.
    I'm familiar with coming in from both directions. Coming in from the way you did, if you pass all the swimming holes, that is where you will find the nasty sections of trail I remember. The road to access the Straight Fork Ridge trail is known to us locals as the Big Cherry Lake road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_hank
    I'm familiar with coming in from both directions. Coming in from the way you did, if you pass all the swimming holes, that is where you will find the nasty sections of trail I remember. The road to access the Straight Fork Ridge trail is known to us locals as the Big Cherry Lake road.
    The trail I noticed veering off to the right was pretty close to the trailhead, before any swimming holes. I'm not sure if this is the DLT trail or something else.
    Shoot, that area is so nice I wouldn't mind going back even if I just rode on the forest service road above the trailhead. Is that Big Cherry Lake road ?
    That's some of the clearest creek water I've ever seen and cold too !
    Are the other creeks around Norton that nice ?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    The trail I noticed veering off to the right was pretty close to the trailhead, before any swimming holes. I'm not sure if this is the DLT trail or something else.
    Shoot, that area is so nice I wouldn't mind going back even if I just rode on the forest service road above the trailhead. Is that Big Cherry Lake road ?
    That's some of the clearest creek water I've ever seen and cold too !
    Are the other creeks around Norton that nice ?
    I think that is still considered part of the DLT. If you pass all the swim spots you will come out on Staight Fork trail and if you hang a right, it would bring you down that trail. If my memory is correct, the section of trail you're talking about is an old logging road. The turn from the old road onto the Straight Fork trail may not be marked and could be confusing to find. Of course it has been 2 years and many trails since I've hiked that area so it's all fuzzy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_hank
    I think that is still considered part of the DLT. If you pass all the swim spots you will come out on Staight Fork trail and if you hang a right, it would bring you down that trail. If my memory is correct, the section of trail you're talking about is an old logging road. The turn from the old road onto the Straight Fork trail may not be marked and could be confusing to find. Of course it has been 2 years and many trails since I've hiked that area so it's all fuzzy.
    So I guess what I'm wondering is, whether you could avoid the non-rideable sections by taking the turn on the BLT to Straight Fork (bypassing the swimming holes) ?
    I'm wondering about the feasibility of riding up the forest service road and down Straight Fork/DLT, assuming I could find it.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    So I guess what I'm wondering is, whether you could avoid the non-rideable sections by taking the turn on the BLT to Straight Fork (bypassing the swimming holes) ?
    I'm wondering about the feasibility of riding up the forest service road and down Straight Fork/DLT, assuming I could find it.
    From my memory of the trail, it would be totally feasible to do that. With a little time to think and look at my maps, I might be able to work out a loop that would be a little less mind numbing by eliminated some road sections. Hmm... I'm getting some ideas brewing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    HH
    That sounds great. Keep me posted. I'd like to head that way sometime this fall and check out High Knob/Bark Camp as well, so any area info would be greatly appreciated including good places to camp.
    BTW, I finally got around to doing the Jerry's/Rowland/old 84 loop last weekend. That one is definitely a keeper.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Which way did you ride Jerry's Creek?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Down.Started at the meadow off the FS road near Skull's Gap.
    Apparently in talking to one of the horse groups, we were lucky to have missed a bee's nest on Jerry's that they ran into the week before. Sounded bad. The horses got stung also and took off without the riders. I wouldn't want to meet a horse barrelling downhill on Jerry's Creek, with or without a rider. We saw 3 different groups on horseback and Jerry's was pretty chewed up in places.
    I'm not sure what the best direction to ride, it's gonna be a tough climb out in either direction.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I've ridden up and down Jerry's Creek. Maybe I should say I've ridden down Jerry's Creek and walked up it. Rowland Creek is a tough climb but is mostly doable where Jerry's just seems impossible for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I think there are tons of uncharted jeep trails and old skid trails off the FS road between the Rowlands Creek trailhead and Hurricane campground (especially around Bartons gap), but I haven't found anyone who has ridden them. I pulled a bob trailer up that rode last summer and noticed alot of possibilities.

Apr 2007

And a good time was had...

Thanks HH for the tour of the mountain Saturday. Keep after the powers-that-be concerning those trails. A little clean-up will go a long way.

I had a great time and enjoyed the ride in spite of the occasional endo and bee sting.

How did Sunday's ride go?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    We've got some work ahead of us clearing trail but we're going to have some fun once it's done.

Sunday hurt as usual but I finished about 30 minutes faster than last year.

Members who have read this thread: 0