North Fork WV.. some questions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016

North Fork WV.. some questions.

Hi everyone,

I am meeting a buddy this saturday and we plan on doing the north fork trail in wv. judging from the pics, this ride should be pretty sweet.

from my understanding the best way would be to go south to north? i was wondering if anyone had the exact address to the north trail head. I would like to meet my buddy there and then drive down south to begin the trail.

any tips and stuff we should be aware of?

edit: i poked around and found the address.
    Last edited by gillymtb14; 05-24-2017 at 07:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The entrance to the South trailhead is located at the top of the mountain off rt 33 behind a radio tower that is beside the road on the left (assuming you are traveling from Seneca Rocks). This thread may help:

http://forums.mtbr.com/virginia-wv-m...l-1042422.html

I am the owl
    You can download the GPS track from MTB Project https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/655...tain-trail-501

I've ridden the north half as a loop, parking at Redman Run trail, heading south on the road and climbing up the dirt road to around mile 12 on the above link, then heading north. Once finished, the road ride back to the car still has a good bit of climbing. More than a few people have told me the southern end isn't nearly as good as the northern end.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    i assume the GPS track goes into a computer on your gps things on your bike?

how much traffic on the road did you experience? i've been told it can be a little busy. a lot of space on the road to ride on?

thanks for the heads up. do you ride in frederick, md by any chance? i recognize your bike from some watershed videos, maybe its a different bike.

I am the owl
    The GPS track can be loaded on a GPS or your phone if you have a routing app on it. Also, MTB Project has an app you can download the routes to on your phone.

The road is Smoke Hole Rd, parallels the trail on the east side (not Rt 33 which is on the other side of the ridge). Based on the few times I've been on it, It is a pretty lightly traveled road. It's hilly and twisty which keeps traffic speeds down.

Frederick Watershed are my home trails, so chances are you that was my bike you saw. I have a few friends with similar rides though.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.