NORBA Snowshoe...trail conditions..?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

NORBA Snowshoe...trail conditions..?

Hello all

I will be at Snowshoe for the NORBA race towards the end of the month. I've raced there for the last 2 years and was curious if the trails are as muddy now and in mid august as they typically are in june. I heard the trail during the 2002 race was fairly dry. If anyone has been on the trails recently I wouldn't mind hearing how they were. If the trails are as nasty as the past couple of years I guess I'll need a set of mud specifc tires. Anyway, I appreciate any news/reports you may have.

Jan 2004
    I was up there this last weekend and despite the rain the DH trails were in great shape. Nice and tacky and fast. The mountain isn't as saturated as in the past couple of years and soaks up the normal amount of rain they've been getting. We did some drainage work on the beg/sport course and routed the springs off the trail under large flat rocks.

But bring your Swampthings just in case!

Mike

Oct 2003
    Dartman - I'll be racing the sport/beginner race and was wondering what trails the course covered?

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleWalter
    Dartman - I'll be racing the sport/beginner race and was wondering what trails the course covered?
    I believe it'll be the top of the old sport/beginner course to a new trail at the bottom of "Ball-n-the-jack" called "Sweet Dreams". Sweet Dreams has some fun berms in it along with some flat and off camber turns. There are a couple of big rock drops with easy landings for the fast lines. Keep your speed up at the end as there is a slight uphill and flat run to the finish.

The pro/expert is a combination of last years course and last years Mayhem course. The long flat mud section is eliminated. Keep the rock gardens. There is rumored to be a booter off Westridge road and there will be a table top or two on the ski slope along with a redesigned hip jump. The long off camber section has been benched in a bit and the big log drop has a hardened launch ramp. There is a new big rock drop under the lift line and you cross the ski slope again to the finish line rock.

Both will be very fun and very fast!

Mike

mtbr member
    Will the sport course for the norba race be the same for Mayhem in the mountain? This is my first year racing, and my second race will be snowshoe. I did wisp in beg. class and won so i think i should try sport. What is a decent time for the sport course at snowshoe?

the unvarnished nonsense

Recent weather...

Rained at least 24 out of the last 36 hours. It's, uhm, moist. But certainly not *wet*, at least not by local standards. Currently not raining.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost