night riding in/around loch Raven??- Mtbr.com
    kevboz
    Jul 2007

night riding in/around loch Raven??

I got back into riding back in May and I'm really hooked. Problem is, I work till 5 during the week and there just isn't enough time now to ride after work. So that leaves the weekends and well, this weekend I'm sure was just way too muddy to go. I also had family stuff to do.

SO my buddy was at a LBS and we were talking to the owner and he was telling us about riding at night. Then the bulb went off in my head :-)

Does anyoner ride in the Baltimore area with Lights. I'd also like to hear about your lighting equipment. You use LED? use handlebar and Helmet?

Appreciate any info.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

we do it on wednesdays...

I have been riding most of my life but just back into night riding after i found a local group who does it after work. We usually leave from Lutherville Bike Shop around 6 or so unless it is set up for later. I currently ride a Light and Motion Solo Cub that I scored from Nashbar for 159. It is the brightest least expensive light on the market at that price. (with 2 hour smart charging which is a saftey and convienience issue) Tons of research went into this decicion. It was 199 with a two day only 20% off. A good LED is 300+ and an HIID is minimally 279 at closeout pricing. A 100 dollar nightrider will get you by, but just wanting more. Call up the shop and see what they say about the rides. We go to the seminary side of LRaven and ride about 14 mi a night and then schedule to meet on other days if possible. sometimes its only three of us, but its a blast and we will wait if your a little slower. Good luck
    Last edited by baltistyle; 10-29-2007 at 09:14 PM.

kevboz
    Jul 2007
    May not go this week cause I gotta get some gear for cooler weather. What do guys wear for 40-50 degree weather? I'm a semi intermediate rider if that. My longest ride has been about 15 miles in one day. Normally ride LR. Also been on the Merrymans mill loop also. Very cool. And that was on a day where it was about 93 degrees. Usually my friends wear out before I do but we are all getting better. I'm not much on jumps or things like that. Or huge drop offs. I've read too many stories about broken bones and other crap. Maybe when I was 17 but not now. :-)

I did just get a new bike about 3 weeks ago and only had it out twice. I got a Cannondale Rush 5. My first full suspension bike and I love it

What's the age group of your group? Not that it matters but just curious I'm 36

Which Bikeshop IN Lutherville? Only one I can think if would be trispeed.. I guess that is lutherville?? That is also where I got my bike

can email me back @ [email protected].

Name is Kevin

One Gear
    Lutherville Bike shop is on the corner of Belona and York Road, 1 block north of Seminary. Loch Raven is a great place to night ride. Get some lights and have fun!!!

Jesus loved the dinosaurs
    Riding at night is great (and, frankly, the only way I get to ride in the winter.)

I ride Patapsco, loch Raven (usually Providence or Delaney Valley road), and, years ago, Gunpowder Blue loop.

I am currently using a Niterider Rage HID light, and before that, a dual beam classic.

Get a light and ride. You'll love it.

Ride.Recover.Beer.
    Seems hairy to me, riding trails at night. Can you really see that well with lights?

One Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by briank10
    Seems hairy to me, riding trails at night. Can you really see that well with lights?
    Yes, you can really see that well. I ride with 3 lights, 2 are on full time and the third is on for downhill and tricky stuff. I'd guess that we ride at about 90% of the pace that we go during the daylight. Daylight savings time ends this weekend, having lights will get you out during the week after work.

I am the owl
    Night riding is great. If you can afford a HID, do it. With a HID I find I only need a single light. If not, a 10w/10w halogen bar and helmet combo will do you pretty well. Stay away from commuter style lights, not enough power for serious trail riding.

Just an FYI to everyone: there is very little legal night riding in MD. Patapsco is pretty well known for issuing tickets if you get caught. Just giving you a heads up.

A few of us have worked with the parks and MORE to get some regularly scheduled night rides going. If you like rocks, we had twice a month night ride at Gambrill last year and twice a month at Greenbrier so there was a weekly night ride going on up near Frederick every week. Schaeffer has already got something going on a regular basis. Patapsco has been a harder nut to crack, but maybe something can get going. I'd like to see us get blanket permission to night ride anytime, just like we ride during the day, but I'm guessing that might be a long way off.

Keep the rubber-side down, night riding rocks!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

One Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Just an FYI to everyone: there is very little legal night riding in MD. Patapsco is pretty well known for issuing tickets if you get caught. Just giving you a heads up.

Patapsco has been a harder nut to crack, but maybe something can get going. I'd like to see us get blanket permission to night ride anytime, just like we ride during the day, but I'm guessing that might be a long way off.
    Thanks for giving everyone the heads up. I pretty much overlooked the legality issue. If you have any contacts at DNR I'd be interested in helping the cause. Paying rangers overtime to hand out tickets to bikers is just silly.

I am the owl
    Weird, I did not expect to get the word today, but sure enough it came through. The Gambrill night rides have been approved for 2007/2008. Twenty rider limit, 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month, details here. If you like technical terrain, this is up your alley.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Yes, that is the caveat. Ride at your own risk- Patapsco and Gunpowder will issue tickets if an energetic officer sees you. I've personally never gotten one, but I've heard it happens.

I've recently joined to be a trail mainatainace volunteer for Patapsco. I also intend to join MORE and IMBA, and volunteer for trail maintainance through them, as well. That is the best way to convince the powers that be to allow night rides.

Ride.Recover.Beer.
    Ticketing for night riding is pretty interesting. I've never considered that. Are there signs stating hours open to the public?

I am the owl
    Yes, there are signs. State parks officially close to all users at sunset. Loch Raven is a Baltimore City owned watershed, but follows that same rule. There's a kiosk sign at Seminary and a few others around the more popular entrances.

benlineberry - thanks for stepping up to volunteer. We had 75 trail workers out two weekends ago at Patapsco, mostly mountain bikers. Something like 290 volunteer hours in one day. You are right, the park notices that. Believe me, it holds weight. I encourage everyone to join IMBA and MORE, there's power in numbers. Get involved with advocacy, but when you do you'll realize how much we take for granted (trail access, etc.) Next Patapsco trail work day is Nov. 25th.

Here's something else you might not know: all of that sweet singletrack at Loch Raven, it's technically off limits to bikes. Only fire roads are open and the fact that bikes are even allowed at the reservoir at all is because of volunteers who fought to keep it open 10 years ago (see MAMBO) and still go to city meetings to make sure we have access.

Sorry to derail the thread. Ride your bike, have fun, volunteer if you have a chance
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by briank10
    Ticketing for night riding is pretty interesting. I've never considered that. Are there signs stating hours open to the public?

ticket if you are lucky. I've seen bikes confiscated (worked there one summer in high school - night patrol is how they punish rangers, so if you meet one out there after dark he/she WILL be in a bad mood).

AFIK night riding is illegal in loch raven too, but it's not a state park so there is no ranger patrol, so no real enforcement. I have a feeling that could change with a couple complaining neighbors though. It is clearly stated on the sign/bulletin board at the seminary trailhead that the park closes at sundown.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    AFIK night riding is illegal in loch raven too, but it's not a state park so there is no ranger patrol, so no real enforcement.
    Actually there are City Watershed Police responsible for patrolling the 3 city owned watershed (Loch Raven, Pretty Boy and Liberty). Other agencies do enforcement too. You can get some ideas about the city's perspective on it's watersheds here.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Ride.Recover.Beer.
    Anyone ever try and run from the Night Patrol?

Next Patapsco trail work day is Nov. 25th.
    I've already emailed someone about it last week... I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    ticket if you are lucky. I've seen bikes confiscated...

I'm sure they don't do that any more. If they tried, that would be a mistake... it's dark, and they're unarmed (unless you count the flashlight.) A ticket? Fine. Part of taking the risk.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by benlineberry
    I'm sure they don't do that any more. If they tried, that would be a mistake... it's dark, and they're unarmed (unless you count the flashlight.) A ticket? Fine. Part of taking the risk.
    I'm not sure where you got that info, but DNR officers (a.k.a. MD Natural Resources Police) are armed and are the ones who patrol the state parks.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Was just at a evening park function (owl prowl)... two park officers tagged along with Park volunteers- zero guns. Flashlights and walkie talkies only.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by benlineberry
    Was just at a evening park function (owl prowl)... two park officers tagged along with Park volunteers- zero guns. Flashlights and walkie talkies only.
    Park officers or Park Staff? I can assure that Nat. Resources Police carry guns and do patrol the park. I've seen them, I've talked to them, they've questioned me when I was in the park early in the morning for trail work before official hours and I've seen them doing rounds at closing time.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Park officers or Park Staff? I can assure that Nat. Resources Police carry guns and do patrol the park. I've seen them, I've talked to them, they've questioned me when I was in the park early in the morning for trail work before official hours and I've seen them doing rounds at closing time.
    Don't know... I'm not Barbara Walters. I didn't interview them. I know they were wearing green DNR jackets and sensable tan pants, and were responsible for patroling the park at night. (they were talking about it)

You are correct in that most DNR officers I've seen have guns... these two, who patrol the park, didn't. (Although they did have radios. Maybe that's to call someone with a gun if there's a problem.)

Members who have read this thread: 0