Life is a sport
    Jan 2004

New question here. Nice vacationing area around Richmond (within 2 hours drive)

Coming down to Richmond VA
    Week of Feb 14th

Will have 2 and 5 year old with us

A few questions

would love to get 2-5 days of nice intermediate to easy expert (not hucks, no DH, just fun flowy single track) in. Wife and I both ride and wondering what is in the area. Saw National Forest Trails of West Harrisonburg and Pocahontas State Park

these good for Camping (maybe RV or family Tent)?

What is Weather like in mid February? if it is not really warm - anyone know of areas that might be a lot warmer with in a driving distance??

Are their things to do with the kids - while one of us rides? (we will usually ride about 2 hours)

Sorry for all the questions - totally unfamiliar with the area
    Go Ride

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Biker View Post
    Coming down to Richmond VA
    Week of Feb 14th

Will have 2 and 5 year old with us

A few questions

would love to get 2-5 days of nice intermediate to easy expert (not hucks, no DH, just fun flowy single track) in. Wife and I both ride and wondering what is in the area. Saw National Forest Trails of West Harrisonburg and Pocahontas State Park

these good for Camping (maybe RV or family Tent)?

What is Weather like in mid February? if it is not really warm - anyone know of areas that might be a lot warmer with in a driving distance??

Are their things to do with the kids - while one of us rides? (we will usually ride about 2 hours)

Sorry for all the questions - totally unfamiliar with the area
    National forest trails tend to be rugged. There are some exceptions in the Harrisonburg area (Tilghman west outside Stokesville being the main one) but they are rare. Stokesville is definitely a great area for camping though.

Weather has been kinda crazy so far this winter, but it's usually safe to say that mid-February will be the coldest part of the year - especially in the mountains. Anything between 0 F and 40 F is typical. More importantly though, there's usually snow on the ground around that time. Even if there isn't, trails like you describe are usually wet from melting snow.

Unfortunately that's pretty much the absolute worst part of the year for riding in the entire mid-Atlantic. You may get lucky, but I wouldn't be betting on it. That won't change in the surrounding area either, best you could do would be go further west into Canaan Valley of WV and go skiing instead.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There is also Massanutten trails. Not sure how they would be in February. I've always ridden them in warmer temps. And the trails at Hillandale.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    There is also Massanutten trails. Not sure how they would be in February. I've always ridden them in warmer temps. And the trails at Hillandale.
    Massanutten's Western Slope trails are pretty rugged. Hillandale probably fits the bill, but from what I hear there isn't much there... And again, it won't be anywhere near warm and there's a very good chance it will be wet and/or covered in snow.

mtbr member
    the weather will be a shot in the dark, it could be in the 50s or it could be in the teens. if it is above freezing, the trail will probably be wet, they don't dry quickly here in the winter and we have had a lot of rain. if you get a cold snap and the ground is frozen, you could be in good shape

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Check the weather before you go a week out and follow. yOu will likely be able to find someething close.

From Richmond Area worth Checking out:

- Pocahontas - Losts of Sjngletrack and if too wet for whatever reason can ride the gravel fireroads
    - Fredericksburg - 2 Trail Systems check fredtrails.org
    - As mentioned Stokesville - Lots of options, never closes but not a place you want to me solo in the winter without knowing the area and being an experienced rider IMO
    - Some stuff near Charlotesville been long while since I have been out there though not sure how holds up in winter

If one of you are riding and other is wathcing kids best bets assuming dry out are porbably Pocahontas and Frederericksburg area.

As far as camping, most state parks closed until 1 March for camping, mutlipel private campgrounds. Near Richmond if you have a RV Americamps in Ashland is nice right off 95.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Richmond - Buttermilk, Forest Hill, North Bank, Belle Island - All connected right in downtown, good riding. Also Pocahontas miles of gravel if the weather is bad and singletrack with roughly 40 or so total miles.

Williamsburg - Freedom Park, York River are within an hour, nice and fun.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...8e&action=view

Fairfax - Fountainhead Park - https://www.novaparks.com/parks/foun...-regional-park

These 3 places give you enough for your vacation. Traveling all the way toStokesville or Massanutten would be right at at or over a 2 hour drive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I agree with the Pocahontas suggestions above. All the flow trails you could ever want.
    I live in Charlottesville and we have a several places to put together fun 2 hour rides, but it has been SO WET. I've only been trail riding once in the last couple months. It was actually a little too wet for that one as well but it was on private property and the owner said to have at it...

If the weather ever actually gets cold, then stuff might freeze up and at least make early morning rides possible.

Also, as far as the more back country stuff goes, many of the usual suspect trails are in bad shape with downed trees. There was a bas ice storm about 6 weeks ago. That combined with wet and windy weather has really taken a toll. Just heard yesterday that Slacks trail in Sherando had 15-20 chain saw sized trees down on it.