new river trail death- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

new river trail death

Hello,
    Anyone have news of the lady that was killed by a falling rock on Saturday on the NRT.
    I was there. Just need a update if anyone knows anything.
    Thanks

Apr 2004
    All I heard was what you heard. I don't know any more details than that, though. If I do hear any, I'll certainly post them...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    We were there on a camping trip with some kids from our church. The long story made short is this.
    A group of adults past us at a rest stop on the trail. We caught up with them at a busy road crossing. We chatted a bit and they road on. Within 3 minutes one my party rode up with a couple of the kids(We had 13). He decided to ride on and was just behind the adult group. Suddenly a ranger flew up the trail in his truck. Within a mile of where I and the kids were waiting, a boulder, I would guess to be as big as 2X3 ft. fell from a high rocky embankment. With no warning it hit one of the females in the adult group in the head causing "massive skull trauma" and kill her on the spot. It crushed her helmet, and cause the seatpost on her bike to break from the impact. It was very sad obviously. The Rangers and EMT's were VERY professional with the way they handle the whole situation especially with the kids. We were wondering if her name had been released the public and if there were anymore details of the accident.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Info...

......from the Roanoke paper:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/breaking/wb/136873

That's sad.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Newer version of same (sad) story that Casey posted.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/136907

Members who have read this thread: 0