New Rider in Harrisonburg, Va- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

New Rider in Harrisonburg, Va

I didn't see an introduction forum so I'll post this here. Maybe I am just blind and there is an introduction forum.

I picked up a 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 at the beginning of Dec but the "better-half" will not let me ride it til the 25th. This is my first time owning a bike that didn't come from Wal-Mart, so I am anxious to get out and ride(not to mention riding a bike again after 4-5 years). I have wanted a MTB for a while now but its never been high on my list but after seeing/hearing countless stories, trips and photos it was time to get one. I do have a friend who has been riding for a few years.

Are there any good beginner trails around besides Hillndale? My buddy rides a lot at Massanutten. Just really checking in. I have been on the SVBC website but they don't post a whole lot over there and I will join sometime after x-mas.

mtbr member
    Welcome to riding in the burg! I just started riding a little over a year ago so I know it can be hard to find some good trails that aren't a little too challenging. If you are looking for a good alternate place to ride I would suggest Montgomery Hall park in Staunton
    There are also some good trails around Braley Pond and Hone Quarry too.
    2010 GF HiFi Deluxe

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the info. I will make it down there to check out the trails. I also want to stop in Black Dog Bikes, which I also see is a member here and posted in that thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Shoot me a PM. Tons of good trails in the area, including the trails in the city at Hillendale Park. Not a lot of mtn. biking going on with the weather and hunting season limiting access right now but it'll pick up in a couple months. Definitely join SVBC, you just missed our monthly social on Monday. Next one I think is on Jan. 10th.

Roland

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yea I figured biking has slowed down. I'll be out riding my bike on the 25th or 26th come hell or high water. LOL. If there is still snow on the ground I may just be riding on the roads.

another bozo on the bus
    Yeah, I second the suggestion of joining SVBC. They are more of a face to face kind of group rather than online, but you may get some takers if you introduce yourself and mention you are new to the area and the sport. Might also want to check in with the folks over at Shenendoah Bike Company as those folks are all avid mountain bikers. I make the trip to the 'Burg almost weekly as the riding in the area is so good. Welcome!

mtbr member
    Join SVBC and ask for someone to show you Mud Pond loop. Good little intro into the GW.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva Borracho
    Join SVBC and ask for someone to show you Mud Pond loop. Good little intro into the GW.
    Will do. My friend has rode this many time so I'll make sure its one of the first I go on.

mtbr member
    May 2010

So Envious

You have no idea how fortunate you are...wow. This is like living in Breckenridge/Copper and deciding you want to start skiing/boarding... Truly epic options in the Burg.

Not sure I can help on the beginner friendly trails as it is a 'destination' for me but once you get some GWNF miles under your belt you are golden as there are literally hundreds of miles of GREAT riding there.

All the stuff off of and in between Reddish, Flagpole and Lil Bald Knobs, south of 250, north of 33. Get that trail map they sell in the SBC shop...#791 or 792 I think. Awesome.

Fuggedaboutit...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yea i never realized how many bike trails there were. I'm pretty sure I have that map from my hiking map collection.

Members who have read this thread: 0