New to Aberdeen, MD area, Where to Bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New to Aberdeen, MD area, Where to Bike?

I may be moving to the Aberdeen, MD area by the end of the year and I wanted to know what kind of XC riding was available in the area down there. I'm expert level rider and ride hard and ride a lot. I know there are MASS races close down there but wasnt sure where the best parks and places to ride were. Also is there a big racing scene down there? Thanks in advance.

I am the owl
    Susquehanna State Park will be closest. Haven't been there for years but the trails were OK for this area. Has a lot of potential but the trail system as it stood could stand a lot of redesign IMO. That said, I think they have some of that under way.

Loch Raven reservoir is your next close bet. There are also pockets of Gunpowder State park that have some trails, but mileage on the legal stuff is fairly small and probably won't keep you satisfied.

Check this thread for more info from someone who asked the same question.

Where are you coming from?
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Coming from the Woodbridge but i work in Eatontown so I ride Hartshorne (90%) and Allaire a lot and started to ride at Chimney Rock this past season quite a bit.

Thanks for the ideas on places to ride. Is the stuff down there rocky, rooty, hilly, sandy, etc?

I am the owl
    My guess is the trails you are riding will be similar. Along the I-95 corridor in MD you'll find a mix of buff singletrack, roots and rocks with very little sand. Most trails in that area tend to stay wet in the spring due to the soil composition. Head west to where I am (Frederick, MD) and you'll hit the eastern edge of the Appalacians and more rocks than dirt as well as more elevation change.

Patapsco just outside of Baltimore is another great trail system and would be a fast, almost all highway drive for you from Aberdeen. You can read some stuff I wrote about it here. Scroll to the very bottom of that article and you can read about the trails where I live now.

If you are willing to drive a few hours you can hit some epic riding from where you'll be based. Search Michaux and the George Washington National Forest for starters.

If you go to the MD DNR web site you can pick up some nice durable topo maps of the MD state park riding for cheap. That can get you started. Also, search Motionbased.com for GPS tracks of any of the areas mentioned and you can get a feel for elevation etc.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sweet Info. I read that article in Dirtrag when it came out. Very nice job and im sure at some point I''ll set out to check it all out.

Once I move I will send you a PM and maybe you can give me a tour.

Rider and Wrench
    I am working in Aberdeen right now and live a bit North of here, not all but alot of the answers took you south and are some great rides. But there are also some excellent trails heading north at Fair Hill Nature Preserve, Elk Neck State Park and Middle Run/White Clay in Newark, DE just to name a few more. Check out some of these on utube. For more info check out the Delaware Trail Spinners website- Hope to see you on the trails soon.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by smoFLASH
    Once I move I will send you a PM and maybe you can give me a tour.
    Just send me a PM when you get to MD
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Bicycle rider
    Welcome to MD. You have lots of options with 1.5 hours of you… White Clay, Patapsco, Gambrill, etc. Watch this regions posts and make plans to ride with a group so you can get familiar with the area. Enjoy!

Members who have read this thread: 0