Need Info. on rentals and trails in North VA.- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

Need Info. on rentals and trails in North VA.

I live in San Diego and will be visiting in-laws the week of November 16-23. I am interested in recommendations for a place to rent a bike for a couple of days and trail recommendations. I will be in the Vienna, VA area. I think the main cross streets are Beulah and Maple (or Chainbridge?). It is not too far from Tyson's Corner. My wife is from this area but Ia m not and so I don't what's available.

Appreciate any help.

If you are planning a trip to SoCal and need similar recommendations please do not hesitate to ask me.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm not familiar with renting bikes around here, though there are three shops in Vienna: Spokes, Performance, and Bikes @ Vienna. Give them a call and I'm sure you can find a rental. As for trails, the closest to Vienna is the Difficult Run trail in Reston. You can find directions here:

http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trai...20Bike%20Trail

It's a tough trail to follow, at times, but you should be able to figure it out. Read the first post down below by JD for good directions. There's also a trail a little further away at Wakefield Park which is ok. I like that one a lot better than Difficult run if you're able to drive for 30 minutes or so. Neither of these trails will be anything compared to the riding you must be used to in SoCal, but they'll be better than nothing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That link didn't copy right. Try this:

http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trai...icult%20Run%20
    Mountain%20Bike%20Trail

Copy and paste it.

I live to bike
    In NoVA hit up Wakefield or Fountainhead. Fountainhead will give you a better workout and is more technical. Not sure where you can find rentals in NoVa, though. If you wish to go a little farther west, there is great riding in the George Washington National forest, and Halfmoon Mountain Outfitters does rentals and even offers tours. www.halfmoonbikes.com

Aug 2006

Thanks for the Information!

Much appreciated. I found some very helpful links from this site to another that describes the Fountaindhead Trail and those in the GW NF. It sounds like there is some excellent riding in the area. My rental idea may be a stinker. I may end up going to one of the local shops that you have listed in Vienna and purchasing a a lower end hard tail that I can keep at my in-laws, or maybe I'll find a used Rockhopper or Stumpjumper on Craigslist in the area? We'll see...

Thanks so much for your help!

NICE KID...NICE

Pedalshop

Mike at the pedalshop rents bikes...give him a call.......pedalshop.com

Members who have read this thread: 0