NBR: Camping in BRMs or GWNF- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

NBR: Camping in BRMs or GWNF

Hey everyone, we are getting away on our first vacation in quite some time. The trip includes camping in the BRMs - something I have missed doing ever since going to school out that direction.
    Since all the campgrounds are booked solid(!) and have been for quite some time, it looks like we will be doing the primitive thing. The difficulty in this is compounded by the fact that we will be meeting up with at least one other carload of people and then have to scout/scope out a decent spot within a mile of the road.

Does anyone have any little-know secret spots N of Lynchburg and W of Charlottesville that they would let us in on? Any must-do hiking routes? Any other advise/considerations?! Feel free to PM or post up!

Thanks in advance!!!

mtbr member
    i assume you've tried Sherando Lake Campground? i'm surprised they'd be full, though there is the big art show in the 'boro this weekend. i would not recommend the surrounding Nat'l forest, i.e. Big Levels, for camping. great for riding but it can get scary at night out there, rednecks + crystal meth...you figure it out. you didn't mention when you're going but there's the big IMBA festie going on this weekend at the Stokesville campground out near Harrisonburg. i'm sure there's plenty of camping there plus lots o' biking and fun for the whole famdamily. lots of NF land out that way too that i think is safer than Big Levels, and i think there are some developed campgrounds out there too.
    will there be beer?

Feb 2006
    Agreed with hogwash. GWNF around the stokesville area is your best spot. Tons of roadside "primitive" camping sites and more trails for you to hike and ride than you could possible imagine all around you. Just driving along SR95 around Todd Lake, Elkhorn Lake area you will see tons of sites.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Awesome guys. Thanks so much. Turns out reservations were made at a place near the park on the E side of scenic drive near Charlottesville. Was good for all intents and purposes, and I have saved y'alls instructions for next go-round!

Members who have read this thread: 0