National Park Service Trail Plan for Roanoke- Mtbr.com
    CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

National Park Service Trail Plan for Roanoke

Passing along some info from the BRBCVA to all interested parties.

The National Park Service has been in the process of developing a trail plan for the area adjoining the Blue Ridge Parkway through Roanoke. They have come up with 3 Alternative plans that they would like people to comment on. It looks like we are not invited to ride on the trail that parallels the parkway – horses and foot traffic only (I think). Could have been a concession to the horse folks. They have had that trail to themselves for a while. If they are going to rebuild it, why not make it truly multiple use. However, of utmost importance to mountain bikers is to support Alternative C trail plan. This plan will open the Chestnut Ridge loop to mountain bikers for a year. Then they will revaluate and determine if we are invited to stay. Not sure if they really want us there, but we bombarded them with e-mail comments early this year in the first planning stage. Let’s do it again.

The Chestnut Ridge loop is a 5.5 mile loop that surrounds the Roanoke Mountain Campground just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was rebuilt to IMBA specs and has very sweet flow with lots of dips and curves. It has been off-limits to bikes. In fact, they have recently been issuing $75 donation requests for those that couldn’t resist going behind the “No Wheeled Vehicle” signs. This system also connects into the Mill Mountain Trail system which is open to bikes (most of it). If you are local, please give them a comment. If you are not local, but you live near NPS land this precedent could affect trails in your area in the future. They did not restrict comments to locals, but you have to give them your home location when you comment. After all, it is the NATIONAL Park Service.

Click onto the website below and check out the maps and 3 alternative plans. Then go into the National Park Service website (located in the document). Click on the NPS “Comment on Document” and let them know what you think. They might find out we are not such bad folks after all.

To review plan and submit comments got to: http://www.virtualblueridge.com/news...s/news-253.asp
    Comment period Oct. 23 - Dec. 1, 2007
    Public Meeting at Explore Park 3:00-800 Nov. 15, 2007.

Feb 2006
    Good job getting them to give this a try. My first MTB experiences were riding Chesnutt Ridge Loop (trail acces was close to the house I grew up in) at the ripe old age of 8 riding my Schwinn Moab with G-Force rigid fork and bio-pace cranks. We had loads of fun, and the campground host and pkwy rangers generally left us alone. I suppose it was because we were so young. Certainly didn't know any better. MTB's weren't too much in the public eye in regards to trail accessat that point though.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Dec. 1st Deadline

Just a reminder for any that wanted to comment on the Blue Ridge Parkway trail plan for Roanoke area, December 1st is the deadline. Comments from someone who attended the public meeting were positive towards us, but the Park Service is slow to change their ways. Chime in if you like. The Park Service manages a lot of land and it would be good to get our foot in the door.

Members who have read this thread: 0