mtbr member

Must ride trails - Davis/Canaan, WV?

I'm currently vacationing for the week (7/3 - 7/10) in Canaan (Timberline Resorts) and am wondering if there are any must-ride trails I'm forgetting.

So far, Plantation, Dobbin House, and CVI. Any that I'm missing?

Hopefully the rain holds off for the rest of the week.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You have seen this map, correct?
    West Virginia Trail Inventory

Additionally, the trails at Timberline are great as well. Although many are gravity-oriented/ lift-assist, there are trails to the west side, that eventually link to Canaan Valley State Park, and then connect to fire roads and trails that head north into Davis.

mtbr member
    Wow! Thanks for the map. I have a big map I bought years ago at Blackwater Bikes, but this one will be helpful (and more convenient) when out on the trails.
    I'm gonna stop by the Timberline Lift area to check their hours. For some reason I thought that was only open on the weekend.

Again, thanks!

I am the owl
    Moon rocks/HooDoo Rocks in CVI and Splashdam
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Word! I love sharing that map. I keep it bookmarked and geek out whenever I have a few moments available. It's interactive, and has tons of additional/ hidden info when you select a trail.

Regarding the DH trails and lift at Timberline... Correct- open Saturdays/ Sundays only.
    Regarding the XC trails at Timberline... I think they are always open and free. If there is a rate, it is (should be) cheaper than the lift pass.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    For CVI...check out the "Hellbender Cirque" ride on MTB Project. It's basically just adding Hellbender and Splash Dam after coming down from HooDoo Rocks.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info. It's appreciated, guys!

A quick story and a warning. The other year when I was here, I ended my Plantation Trail bike ride on Canaan Loop and then back to 32. The section of Canaan Loop that I rode was gravel, but certainly no challenge for any vehicle.

So this year, I decided the wife and I would take a scenic Jeep ride on the WHOLE Loop, starting at Blackwater State Park. While getting directions to the trail, the park worker asked what kind of vehicle I drove. I told her a Jeep, and she said I should be 'okay.' Remembering the relatively tame gravel section from earlier rides, I thought her question kind of odd, but wrote it off.

I also wrote off the sign at the road entrance requiring 4 wheel drive. Lol.
    Let's just say, I learned there is a BIG difference on the road conditions on the Blackwater side of the loop. (I guess the rain the past week didn't help much either.)

Keeping in mind, I'm no stranger to off-roading, I was actually starting to get concerned we weren't gonna see the other end of the trail. (My wife on the other hand was CERTAIN we wouldn't make it out.)

It was a hell of a ride, but we somehow made it. And now I need a beer.
    Thank God for Jeep Wranglers. (3" Lift, 35"s, and lockers help too.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    Thanks for all the info. It's appreciated, guys!

A quick story and a warning. The other year when I was here, I ended my Plantation Trail bike ride on Canaan Loop and then back to 32. The section of Canaan Loop that I rode was gravel, but certainly no challenge for any vehicle.

So this year, I decided the wife and I would take a scenic Jeep ride on the WHOLE Loop, starting at Blackwater State Park. While getting directions to the trail, the park worker asked what kind of vehicle I drove. I told her a Jeep, and she said I should be 'okay.' Remembering the relatively tame gravel section from earlier rides, I thought her question kind of odd, but wrote it off.

I also wrote off the sign at the road entrance requiring 4 wheel drive. Lol.
    Let's just say, I learned there is a BIG difference on the road conditions on the Blackwater side of the loop. (I guess the rain the past week didn't help much either.)

Keeping in mind, I'm no stranger to off-roading, I was actually starting to get concerned we weren't gonna see the other end of the trail. (My wife on the other hand was CERTAIN we wouldn't make it out.)

It was a hell of a ride, but we somehow made it. And now I need a beer.
    Thank God for Jeep Wranglers. (3" Lift, 35"s, and lockers help too.)

Hehe. I went in there last year from the Blackwater end in a full-size truck. After going across the first 3-4 creek crossings, I turned around (in the creek) at the bedrock incline. The rhododendron was grown in so bad, I scratched the sh!t out of my truck and screwed the mirror up while backing up.

Is it still overgrown?

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'd say it's definitely still overgrown. I acquired some authentic West Virginia pintstriping on my Jeep as a result.
    I know EXACTLY what bedrock incline your talking about. Pretty crazy climb. I was skeptical we were gonna make it ourselves. My wife was freaking out when she saw that incline. Lol.
    Thankfully, we made it. In hindsight, without a second vehicle or at least a winch, it wasn't the wisest decision I made this year. Haha!!

formerly Giantxc
    I haven't been there in years, but I always enjoyed the lead mine trail north of Davis. Plantation is overrated inmho

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk