MTB riding in baltimore county, dangerous?- Mtbr.com

Dec 2005

MTB riding in baltimore county, dangerous?

so im here for school at UMBC, and i have not heard anything good at all about baltimore, all my buddies in NYC are calling this place "murder capital" and what not, so i am wondering how safe is it to go around in baltimore county on a bike alone? how safe is it around paptasco state park and gambrill? i hope i dont need to carry bear mace with me everywhere...

mtbr member
    I can't speak about the greater Baltimore area as a whole, because I'm not very familiar with it, but Patapsco, and the area surrounding Patapsco, is very safe. Just make sure if you're parking at the Park and Ride to lock your doors when you leave your car.

I am the owl
    Safer than NYC unless you are a crack dealer. Seriously, Patapsco is totally safe, just watch out for the deer darting across the trails at dawn and dusk. I live right near Patapsco and UMBC, no worries in this area. We also cycle in the city all the time without any issues. You just avoid the really bad areas which there aren't to many of anyway. But as far as trail riding goes, anywhere there are decent trails you won't have an issue.

Just an FYI, Patapsco takes a long time to dry out and it's heavily used, so don't go mud bogging and destroying the trails. Wait for it to either be dry or frozen.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

I am the owl
    Oh, and Gambrill is even safer. And a lot of the trails out there (including the Watershed) can be ridden when wet because they are mostly rock.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

another bozo on the bus
    watershed is where its at. pretty safe, but there is one area where 2 burly ass dogs will take chase at the top of a big grunt. you have to flee down a burly dh. the dog once was nipping at my friend's ankle. i could barley pedal it was so funny. going out sunday. patapsco is fun, but pretty easy.

Dec 2005
    thx a lot guys.

another bozo on the bus
    also good road riding around umbc, ellicott city area if you ride road.

Members who have read this thread: 0