moving to richmond...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

moving to richmond...

will i be disappointed? right now I am living in boise, ID and don't expect it to be quite like that but am wondering how much fun i can expect to have riding around richmond? also like road riding and triathlons so if anyone has any info on that it would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
    coop

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

richmond riding

hey coop, we have plenty. dont know the terrain in boise, we have the mountains 1.5 hrs away. typical east coast rooty, muddy, logcrossing in and around richmond. more local trails east in williamsburg and like i stated previously, go west to go big.

plenty to keep busy, some have loops, bike playgrounds- ramps, seesaws etc. lots of local clubs for roadracing, not too informed on the road scene. the mtb scene has been here for a while, with good trails and support.

if you want more exotic, west va and north carolina arent far. this is a good location unless you are looking for big mtn rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    welcome to the area... where in richmond are you moving to? there is also some trails in state park here in chesterfield county... i have yet to go ride though and ive been here a year.... ugh im in serious need of a good long ride!

Sep 2008
    The riding downtown is amazing.

North Bank
    Butter Milk
    Forrest Hill Park

Those three mentioned can all be linked together too. If MB is your thing, I think you'll love Richmond.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by coop27
    will i be disappointed? right now I am living in boise, ID and don't expect it to be quite like that but am wondering how much fun i can expect to have riding around richmond? also like road riding and triathlons so if anyone has any info on that it would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
    coop
    Besides the trails as mentioned, the roadie scene is decent too. Local race promoters working hard to keep the sport growing with a few Pro teams located in Richmond too. Weekly training races at a local park and plenty of rural roads once you get out of the city limits. There's even plans of a weekly track race at a local speedway in addition to the 3 already scheduled on the VA race calendar. Richmond is centrally located between two other roadie hot beds with DC races filling up in hours to the flat lands of VA Beach.
    There's also a growing cyclocross scene to keep you entertained in the fall/winter.
    For tris, there's a handful of sprint distance events locally but there are plenty of longer distances within the state and a 1/2 IM on the Eastern Shore of VA. However, the major multisport race in the area is the Xterra off road events held in June.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for all of your responses, sounds like I can count on having a pretty good time there. I lived in charlottesville a few years back and found the road riding to be particularly awesome around there.
    Coop

mtbr member
    You could get in touch with this guy. I think he's in one of the bike clubs there and could probably hook you up with some people to ride with.

http://tswimba.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Check out the Central VA Cycling forum, http://cyclingcentralva.org/forums/ . You'll find that there is a lot going on in Richmond.

Members who have read this thread: 0