Thread: Moving to NoVa

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Moving to NoVa

Just accepted a job offer to begin work in Chantilly on Jan 7th. Pretty pumped about it!

That being said... I'm looking for riding buddies and groups. I'll be living about a mile from Fountainhead, so if anyone makes it out that way frequently let me know! I also know a few guys that ride for Bike Lane, and hear that there is a good Thursday night group ride.

If anyone knows of good groups, or is looking for someone to ride with let me know! I fall into the "Fun trail ride" category of rider.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Check out the MORE website for group rides. See you on the trails!

Events for December 2018 – MORE
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks man! That's a good resource. That Thursday night ride should be easy to add into my weekly schedule.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    MORE is a huge organization (relative to MTB anyway) and is particularly active in that area. I'd hook up with them for group rides, work days and socials and you'll have a crew of riding buddies in no time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yup, MORE is a good starting place. Weekly rides at Wakefield at least 2-3 days/week.

There's also a weekly ride in Wednesday @6:30 starting at The Bike Lane in Reston and riding through Lake Fairfax Park.

And quite a few regular MeetUp groups at many of the parks.

It's a great area for mountain biking - 3-4 quality neighborhood trail networks, plus an hour to get to Front Royal (GWNF, Elizabeth Furnace) or Frederick (Watershed & Gambrill State Park) for actual mountains.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Sounds good to me! Making the Wednesday night ride at Wakefield, and the Thursday night ride out of the bike lane should be easy for me to do. Riding trails for the first time in the dark is always fun, haha.

I'm planning on doing the "Figure 8 of hate" ride out of Elizabeth Furnace the Sunday before Christmas. I'm excited to check that out.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    I'm planning on doing the "Figure 8 of hate" ride out of Elizabeth Furnace the Sunday before Christmas. I'm excited to check that out.
    Let me suggest the Original Figure 8 which takes you all the way to Signal Knob and adds some additional technical ridge riding.
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17578767
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx View Post
    Let me suggest the Original Figure 8 which takes you all the way to Signal Knob and adds some additional technical ridge riding.
    Thanks! That sounds rad. Looks like we are gonna do that, haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    On Facebook, find MORE and there will be a lot of info to Network

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx View Post
    Let's not kill the new guy before he's even settled in!!!

Either version of the Figure-8 is pretty awesome. It's a long day either way, plan accordingly. If you aren't used to riding east coast rocks, plan to be slower than normal.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Crack Monkey View Post
    It's a long day either way, plan accordingly. If you aren't used to riding east coast rocks, plan to be slower than normal.
    Yeah, bring plenty of food and water - there's a piped spring after mudhole gap near the gate on the dirt road leading to Signal Knob, it's roughly at the crossover point of the figure 8, so you could potentially hit it twice.

Full repair kit including 2 tubes would be wise. You'll have a few stream crossings on mud hole gap, they are probably running high right now.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Haha, thanks for the warning guys! Most of my serious riding happens in Pisgah, so I'm used to spending some time in the back country. I'll bring my full repair kit, and a water filter just in case.

I can't stop looking at all of the riding up there. Being so close to the mountains is going to be a game changer for me. I drive out to western NC to ride at least once a month... and that's about 5.5 hours each way, lol. Being 1-2.5 hours from good riding is going to be amazing.