Morgantown, WV area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Morgantown, WV area

i was wondering if anyone can tell me where i might find some trails in the morgantown area? after a long break from riding, i am trying to get back into it. i am aware that cooper's rock has some trails, but looking for some other places. any info will help. thanks.

The White Jeff W
    No moss...

mtbr member
    From what I understand, there's tons.

Go to the Google Group "Rocky Gap Riders." One of the guys goes to WVU and rides out there all the time.

You're in luck, though. There's a bazillion trail systems within a 2 hour drive from you Phenomenal stuff.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    this is great, thanks a lot.

Because I am !
    Coopers Rock, Big Bear Lake near Hazelton and just north of Bruceton Mills is
    Quebec Run. These are some good ones in your area.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bschultz
    i was wondering if anyone can tell me where i might find some trails in the morgantown area? after a long break from riding, i am trying to get back into it. i am aware that cooper's rock has some trails, but looking for some other places. any info will help. thanks.

I'm probably going to be moving to the area here in the next few months and I know Coopers pretty well. WVU Forest is just on the other side of I68 there, but it's not a "maintained" trail system.

As ODN pointed out, there's a number of places to ride around the area and I'm looking forward to exploring some of these areas. If you want to hook up sometime for a ride, drop me a PM.

mhk
    beer horse
    Great cycling community in Morgantown, both road and mountain. Check out Google group "monbikeclub"--it's very active and will list group rides. Check out WVMBA.com for race schedules and other organized rides, plus links to local riders' blogs that will inform you of events/rides going on in the area.

Chestnut Ridge is the area across I-68 from Cooper's, by the way. White Park is small, but in town. Baker's Ridge is also near town and has some very nice trails, even though part of it has been developed in the last couple years. Big Bear and Quebec Run, while a little further away from town (30 min) provide some awesome riding.

Group rides year round, rain, snow, or otherwise.

New riders always welcome!
    Yeah, well . . . that's just, you know, like . . . your opinion, man. --The Dude

My bike is cooler then me
    when you get to Morgantown, stop buy Pathfinders, they can hook you up with some great area riding and pretty much any other out doors sport you can think of.

http://www.pathfinderwv.com/

tell them Hilty sent you

coopers has got some good ruff XCish riding good for a quick day trip, but boring after a while. i actually rode line in town, there are drops, and steps, and ruff urban stuff all over that town good luck and enjoy!
    '09 Cannondale Moto Carbon 2

'is that a Thomson in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?'

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Big Bear is as they say "the Sh!t" over 30 miles of REAL singletrack and of course home of the 24 hours of Big Bear. There's also the Wisp if your into the Gravity thing. It's pretty beginner friendly with most of it rideable on a trail bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicyclewrench
    There's also the Wisp if your into the Gravity thing. It's pretty beginner friendly with most of it rideable on a trail bike.

as well as snow shoe and seven springs if you are a bit more hardcore, both around 2 hours away

mtbr member
    I'm in Cumberland. Moving here after living around DC for 5 years...I've absolutely hated this place for a couple years.

Now that I'm riding....I'm so in love. I've come to realize this area is sort of a mecca, of some sort. I've got great riding right out my back door, and 2 hrs in any direction will get me more than I could ever hope to ride.

My only wish is that the local riding community was a little stronger...
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

word, check out the local forums, you would can find all sorts of things to do with locals... or just ask and see if anyone out there is in your same boat.

Dog-food-eating-chicken
    So much out there near Motown. EPIC rides from your doorstep if you're into that kind of thing.

Lived there for 9 years. Loved it. Moving back this summer after a 4-year stint in the PNW. Looking forward to hitting it up again.

Welcome to PM for more details.
    My legs hurt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

a while ago

When I was in school we would ride in the WVU woodlot, that was 5 years ago though. It's close to town makes for a nice quick ride. Not sure if the trails are still open. It's probably student housing knowing motown.

mtbr member
    Rode Big Bear for the first time today.

O.....M......G.

That is all.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWood922

O.....M......G.
    Well that could be taken a couple different ways. But I'll take as you liked it. That place
    is awesome IMHO! My son and I ride there quite often and it's a 2 1/2 hour drive for us.
    We really like the 21 mile loop they show on their map.

ODN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoornut
    Well that could be taken a couple different ways. But I'll take as you liked it. That place
    is awesome IMHO! My son and I ride there quite often and it's a 2 1/2 hour drive for us.
    We really like the 21 mile loop they show on their map.

ODN

You would be correct, sir.

I'm used to Rocky Gap, which is basically a wheelchair path.

Personally, I could never ask for anything more out of a trail system. I'm hoping to go back up tomorrow!
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey ODN,

You wanna schedule a celebratory ride of me moving to M'town on Saturday the 4th @ Coopers? I'll be hitting that no matter what, but if you and snotty wanna tag along you're more than welcome. Or better yet, we could meet down at KSF in Charleston.

mtbr member
    +1 on Big Bear and Quebec Run. Great riding.

Because I am !
    [quote=crashedandburned]Hey ODN,

You wanna schedule a celebratory ride of me moving to M'town on Saturday the 4th @ Coopers?/quote]

Sound pretty good. I'll likely watch the weather the week of and see how it looks. I'm still
    fighting off a nasty chest cold and hope to be well over it by then. But I'll put this on my
    calendar. Wow that will be a killer, no more than I've been on the bike.

ODN

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    I'll be in Charleston the w/e of the 4th helping my brother move. Let me know if you guys end up riding the Forest, crash.

mtbr member
    Theres also Mountwood Park. Its about an hour and a half from Motown. Head I-79 south, then hit US 50 west, and its on the left about an hour down. Theres signs for it.

Graphic Designer
    Big Bear is a great set of trails, from what I remember they had a trail map at the campground gate, but I would print one just in case, it's huge. I think it was like 5-10 bucks for a pass, but we camped there, so we just biked off from our camping area.

I would take a bell to make noise, etc, as we saw a massive black bear when we turned a corner. He took off when we started making noise. Apparently the camp name isn't just a misnomer, there are black bears all over according to the people at the campground gate.

The singletrack is nice, and is very extensive. I would be prepared for mud if it had just rained recently.
    'Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.'
    -Mark Twain

Members who have read this thread: 0