Montvale Mayhem- Mtbr.com

Thread: Montvale Mayhem

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Montvale Mayhem

Anyone going to the Montvale Mayhem race in Montvale, VA on 9/15? Thinking of entering my first race here.

mtbr member
    blammo585 - I've raced here every year they've had it. The trails are nice - two creek crossings for cooling off. It's a compact trail system so you usually see other riders during the entire race! And as with any Bedford Parks race, there's usually good food afterwards!!! Come on out!!!
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Are there usually a good number of people that show up? Particularly for the 19-39 Beginner Men class?

mtbr member
    Usually have a fairly good turn out. It's a fairly low key race and would make a good first race to enter. Kenny and the Beford park system do a great job and have some good post race food.

mtbr member
    Currently there are 37 total riders registered 3 in the 19-39 beginner male. 19-39 sport male is the biggest class generally - there's 9 of them. Come on out!

mtbr member
    Can anybody tell me what this course is like? I'd like to try it this year (I know it's changed names to "Throwdown N Tanktown") and am wondering what gear ratio I should use and whether or not it's rigid-fork friendly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post
    Can anybody tell me what this course is like? I'd like to try it this year (I know it's changed names to "Throwdown N Tanktown") and am wondering what gear ratio I should use and whether or not it's rigid-fork friendly.
    Fun, tight course. There are some short climbs, one is particulary annoying at about 2/10 mile. We're not talking huge elevation changes as the terrain is more rolling. I will ask about gear ratio. I would think you'd be ok on a rigid fork, but I'll ask that as well.

Please come, Kenny Palmer puts on good events and is always looking to have more racers than the year before. I think he posts on here as well, so I'll try to get him to answer your questions too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Rigid would be ok, not many rocks, some rooty areas but overall a relatively smooth ride. If you are a BA then 32x16 is good otherwise 18 or 19 would be friendlier. All this assumes you are used to east coast single track so relatively smooth means for around here.
    Come on out, you'll have a great time.
    Kenny
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerJen View Post
    Fun, tight course. There are some short climbs, one is particulary annoying at about 2/10 mile. We're not talking huge elevation changes as the terrain is more rolling. I will ask about gear ratio. I would think you'd be ok on a rigid fork, but I'll ask that as well.

Please come, Kenny Palmer puts on good events and is always looking to have more racers than the year before. I think he posts on here as well, so I'll try to get him to answer your questions too.

Members who have read this thread: 0