Missing Schaffer (and others)- Mtbr.com
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004

Missing Schaffer (and others)

Having recently moved from Gaithersburg to Portland, OR, it's now apparent to me how I have taken Schaffer for granted. It was great having such a cool little riding area so close to where I lived. Portland is incredible and already I'm in love with the area (much more so than anywhere I lived in MD) but I haven't yet found a small MTB area with the after work fun that Schaffer offers.

I miss Avalon too. Having lived within 2 miles of the park for seven years left me somewhat jaded. There was a time when I was out there every day either riding or hiking with my dog. Those are certainly memories which I'll carry forever.

Looking forward to seeing some old friends on a business trip back to MD in October.

My last picture of Schaffer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    My last picture of Schaffer.
    Splendid pic, Sean. I loved Portland when I visited many years ago, but I don't know how long it will take me to get used to the rain six months of the year. It's rained just the past few days here, and I'm already bumming Hope those trails give you a technical enough challenge to match your skills!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Splendid pic, Sean. I loved Portland when I visited many years ago, but I don't know how long it will take me to get used to the rain six months of the year. It's rained just the past few days here, and I'm already bumming Hope those trails give you a technical enough challenge to match your skills!
    Thanks Ricky.

I've got to develop a whole new set of skills out here...breathing skills. I went out to the Hood wilderness area a few weeks ago and rode (I should say hiked, because that's the truth) a trail that gained 1100 feet in 1.75 miles. Then, it leveled out for all of one mile before the next round of climbing hell begain. I should have paid attention to the gradations on the topo map, at least I wouldn't have started out with a false sense of hope. The 6+ mile downhill payoff was worth the hours of suffereing. It's all good though, I'm more motivated to get back in shape than I've been in the past 5 years.

I haven't found the technical riding yet but have hundreds more trails to discover. From what I've been able to determine, there is NO trials scene at all which leaves me with the choice to try to start one up, or possibly just to give my aging bones a break and give it up.

Portland is truly great. The second week I was here, I had a chance to go meet Sacha White and to see his build process. He's a super nice guy who loves what he does (who wouldn't) and it shows in the quality of his bikes. Even better that through his descriptions of the build process, he's inspired me to set up a small garage shop to build my own frames. The winter rainy season won't be all bad and hopefully by the time spring ends, my wife and I will be riding new bikes.

Take care everyone.
    Last edited by smudge; 08-09-2005 at 01:17 PM.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

Bikes & Beer
    May 2005
    After riding shaeffer almost everyday for the first month of summer, i moved to Morgantown, WV for school. Although morgantown has some really nice riding spots, man do i miss shaeffer farms. I defiantly took this place for granted after living 5 minutes from it for almost my whole life.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks

Nice pic, thanks for posting.

I've ridden in some amazing places (all over CO, NC, GA, VA, TN, a little CA and NV), and one of my fondest riding memories ever is from Schaeffer. I was about 50 feet behind my buddy, about to fly down that doubletrack hill through the big field. As he started bombing down the hill into a setting sun, his big back tire was kicking up a big fishtail of dust. Just then my eye caught a deer darting across the field from right to left at a 90 degree angle with the trail, seemingly headed right for my riding buddy. I slowed up a little so my eyes could follow both the deer and my friend, and the deer leaped across the trail about 10 feet in front of him. My buddy just kept flying down, never touched the brakes as the deer crossed over in a flash. To this day, I think it's the coolest scene I've ever witnessed while riding.

I moved from DC to Atlanta a few years ago. Really miss Schaeffer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrider
    After riding shaeffer almost everyday for the first month of summer, i moved to Morgantown, WV for school. Although morgantown has some really nice riding spots, man do i miss shaeffer farms. I defiantly took this place for granted after living 5 minutes from it for almost my whole life.

You say you miss Shaffers AFTER moving riding in Morgantown????? Can I ask where you've rode at? I'm looking forward to the day I can move back. Don't get me wrong, Shaffers is OK when Patapsco or Gambrils is boring, but I make trips to Mo'town Charleston to ride. It does beat what's near me (Cederville) but Rosreyville (sp?) and Wakefield isn't too bad for an after work spin. I'll be in the area camping w/ a couple friends in Sept. if you're interested in joining up for a ride

Bikes & Beer
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    You say you miss Shaffers AFTER moving riding in Morgantown????? Can I ask where you've rode at? I'm looking forward to the day I can move back. Don't get me wrong, Shaffers is OK when Patapsco or Gambrils is boring, but I make trips to Mo'town Charleston to ride. It does beat what's near me (Cederville) but Rosreyville (sp?) and Wakefield isn't too bad for an after work spin. I'll be in the area camping w/ a couple friends in Sept. if you're interested in joining up for a ride
    I've mainly just rode bakers ridge, white park for the freeride stuff and coopers rock. Ive lived in mo-town for 4 years but just recently got back into riding. Dont get me wrong, the riding is great out here, im just a little more use to the smooth flowing singletrack trails of Shaeffer rather than the rugid 3 mile up and downs of coopers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrider
    im just a little more use to the smooth flowing singletrack trails of Shaeffer rather than the rugid 3 mile up and downs of coopers.
    But Coopers has a 100 yrds of smooth singletrack somewhere. I guess it's what u'r use to.

Like I mentioned before a couple friends and I will be camping by Coopers next month. U're welcome to join.

Members who have read this thread: 0