Mid Atlantic Trail Tire Combos- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Mid Atlantic Trail Tire Combos

I mostly ride in Delaware (primarily Brandywine) and am looking for tire recommendations for my new 29 FS trail bike. The bike is used and came with Nobby Nics, 2.35 front / 2.25 rear. The rear is showing lots of fluid leaking through small punctures so I plan on moving the 2.35 to the rear and replacing the front tire with something new. I am an intermediate rider and need a tire with some sort of transition knobs, as I lean in some in turns but not super aggressively. (I dont like the Ardent up front due to the sketchiness in this mid lean) Rim inner width is 22.5mm, so I am not looking for anything bigger than 2.4 or anything designed for wide rims. Also not looking for anything that will sap too much of the snappiness from the bike. I currently run Forekasters 2.35 on my Hardtail or a Forekaster front / Ardent Rear. The Forekasters have been great but I am interested in something just a bit more grippy/supple.
    Tires I am considering:
    DHRII 2.3 - Should be good grip and weight isnt too bad. Concerned about mud shedding and possible transitions knobs. Maybe to much drag (rolling resistance due to blocky barely ramped center knobs)
    XR4 2.4 - Seems like good grip, supple and good weight. Concerned about sidewall durability and designed around wide rims.
    Aggressor 2.3 - Seems like a good in between tire.I can find almost no good info on this as a Front tire. Maybe that should be a hint.
    New Hans Dampf (HS491) 2.4 - Looks like a good tread pattern and good rubber compound. Expensive, designed around wide rims, maybe too much drag.

Tire choice around here is tricky. Dirt is usually great but need to survive pointy rocks and wet roots. Don't want to pack with mud but also don't want to drag an enduro tire's weight and big knobs up all the punchy hills. What am I missing? What do you guys run?

g=9.764m/s2
    For Bwine DH the DHF and DHRii combo has worked well for me... others like the Aggressor and the new Dissector looks promising though only WT for now. In time, look toward wider rims 27. - 30 mm, youíll be amazed at the difference wider stance and higher volume makes...

WillWorkForTrail
    I used to run an Ardent front and rear, and the sketchy transition didn't really bother me because I got that goon lean going on, where I like to goof off and throw the bike way over - it's not the fastest at times, but I'm out having fun. I recently picked up 4 or 5 Maxxis Rekons in various sizes (2.6, 2.4, 2.25) for different bikes, and I would say the 2.4 will remind you a LOT of the Ardent, except maybe a little faster rolling, and definitely with better transition grip for the leans. You can tell that's there just by looking at the tread pattern. It might be worth a try for you. For what it's worth:

2.6 Rekon front and rear on my Trance 29
    2.4 front 2.25 rear rekon on my single speed.

mtbr member
    Honestly, the trails at Brandywine, Middle run, iron Hill or Fair hill for that matter do not need aggressive tires. Those trails for the most part are smooth and flowing and could be ridden with a cyclocross bike (which I have done since 1985!).

A tire I like for that area is the Michelin Wild GRIP'R2. Rolls fast with good traction. At 29 X 2.25 it is narrow by todays trend but still works very well. It is also light at ~750 grams in 29" form.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm in MD and run a 2.4 XR4 TE front and 2.3 XR3 TE rear for a few years now. Love the combo and have no issues with sidewall durability. I run them on 27mm rims.

In a few days I'll be able to tell how they run on 25mm rims as the wheels for my sons bike just showed up and are 25mm inner.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    For Bwine DH the DHF and DHRii combo has worked well for me... others like the Aggressor and the new Dissector looks promising though only WT for now. In time, look toward wider rims 27. - 30 mm, youíll be amazed at the difference wider stance and higher volume makes...
    Wider rims are probably in my future, but I need to hold off bike on bike related purchases for now. Maybe next spring....

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I used to run an Ardent front and rear, and the sketchy transition didn't really bother me because I got that goon lean going on, where I like to goof off and throw the bike way over - it's not the fastest at times, but I'm out having fun. I recently picked up 4 or 5 Maxxis Rekons in various sizes (2.6, 2.4, 2.25) for different bikes, and I would say the 2.4 will remind you a LOT of the Ardent, except maybe a little faster rolling, and definitely with better transition grip for the leans. You can tell that's there just by looking at the tread pattern. It might be worth a try for you. For what it's worth:

2.6 Rekon front and rear on my Trance 29
    2.4 front 2.25 rear rekon on my single speed.
    I rode a Rekon rear on a T429 test ride. I liked it but it packed up with mud a bit. It also is only a "WT" in 29x2.4, so designed around a much wider rim that I have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Honestly, the trails at Brandywine, Middle run, iron Hill or Fair hill for that matter do not need aggressive tires. Those trails for the most part are smooth and flowing and could be ridden with a cyclocross bike (which I have done since 1985!).

A tire I like for that area is the Michelin Wild GRIP'R2. Rolls fast with good traction. At 29 X 2.25 it is narrow by todays trend but still works very well. It is also light at ~750 grams in 29" form.
    You certainly have a point about not needing enduro tires. I will ride my Hardtail in Middlerun and Fair Hill, but I want my trail bike to tackle some tougher terrain. Brandywine certainly has some of that if you know where to look, and I would like to venture further into Wiss and Mt Penn. I will take a look at the Michelins.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I'm in MD and run a 2.4 XR4 TE front and 2.3 XR3 TE rear for a few years now. Love the combo and have no issues with sidewall durability. I run them on 27mm rims.

In a few days I'll be able to tell how they run on 25mm rims as the wheels for my sons bike just showed up and are 25mm inner.
    Let me know how it goes. XR4 seems like it might be just right for me, just concerned about that rim width. Thanks for the help.

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpilot View Post
    Let me know how it goes. XR4 seems like it might be just right for me, just concerned about that rim width. Thanks for the help.
    I use XR4/XR3 combo. Both 2.4x29 and 30mm ID rims. Perfect for area. Like it for XC and trail more than my long travel 29s DHF and DHRII.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpilot View Post
    As far as profile, they look fine on my son's 25mm rims.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpilot
    You certainly have a point about not needing enduro tires. I will ride my Hardtail in Middlerun and Fair Hill, but I want my trail bike to tackle some tougher terrain. Brandywine certainly has some of that if you know where to look, and I would like to venture further into Wiss and Mt Penn. I will take a look at the Michelins.
    Check out the Vittoria Agarro discussion in the wheel and tire forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I've been running a Maxxis Assegai on the front and a XR4 on the rear in Patapsco and Fairland (Maryland) and would highly recommend this combo for those looking for the best possible grip at a reasonable weight.

I have been absolutely loving the cornering traction offered by the Assegai. While it is more tire than necessary, I think it's a far better option than the DHF for most of Maryland's riding. Since most of the corners around here are pretty tight and flat, I find it hard to lean the bike enough to start taking full advantage of the DHF's side knobs, often resulting in a vague feeling as the tire sits between the center and side knobs.

The Assegai's transition knobs keeps the tire sticking to the group regardless of the lean angle. After switching from a DHF I feel much more confident in the corners. I expect the Assegai will also help improve my cornering, since I'm feeling much more confident committing to corners at higher speeds.

Coming from a DHR2, the XR4 gives up little in breaking while being significantly lighter. I would take it any day over a DHR2.

While this setup isn't super light, it's not overly heavy. I feel the weight penalty is more than made up for in the additional confidence and security these tires provide over lighter ones.