McIntire Park - Charlottesville riders shed some light- Mtbr.com
    Gravity addict

McIntire Park - Charlottesville riders shed some light

2 weeks ago I saw signs everywhere in town "save McIntire" I went out today and rode and the park was busy with ball games and birthday parties. So I went online to check out what the deal is with the park. I see something about a parkway going through it or something of the sort.
    How will this effect the park? and will it effect the trail system inbetween the H.S. and Rescue Squad? I've enjoyed the trails today, and the light freeride stuff is still in ok shape...is the freeride stuff still maintained, and will there be more built there?
    I'm so out of the loop being away from riding for almost a year due to injury, but this is such a great trail system for in town besides O-Hill.
    So C-ville riders shed some light on the subject whats up with the park?
    Just FYI I don't live in C-ville I'm from Waynesboro.
    How's that dirt taste?

Gravity addict
    guess no one knows or cares whats going on there. What a shame...
    How's that dirt taste?

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by yakuzafreerider
    guess no one knows or cares whats going on there. What a shame...
    Lots of people know what's up, they're just not checking the regional forums on mtbr daily.

The parkway will be on the east side/golf course side of the train track that divides the park. No changes are planned for the wooded area near the firehouse. The trails near the leaf dump may take a small hit. The potential exists for additional stuff, possibly next door to a relocated skate park? Not sure, but the current skate park might get nuked with an interchange at Route 250 (it seems like the cheapest place to go...). Makes sense to put effort in to a skate/freeride combo.

If the trails need work, post up or get something organized. Glad you're back on the bike!

Gravity addict
    thanks for the response Will. The trails itself there are in good shape as usual, saw some exposed nails in some steps at both stream crossing that I wish I could have hammered down...as well in one of the freeride features.
    Who should I talk to about adding some more freeride stuff and extending the freeride line? Curious too as to the limitations of what can be put in there. Your right on with a skate/freeride combo and maybe worth the wait to put both together,
    Im glad to be back on the bike as well, but taking it slowly. I really havn't been cleared to full out ride yet but so far can handle everything there at McIntire ok.
    How's that dirt taste?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    looking forward to riding these trails... and maybe crashing some city council meetings

Gravity addict
    Id like to see a pump track similar to hillandale park in harrisonburg has there. I'm considering getting with the locals and parks and rec about it. But right now I'm waiting to see if I will be building something like this along with some freeride stuff at VXP (valley xtreme sports park) in greenville.... ground breaking for the park is sometime at the first of the year so I should know then. I'm really hoping to build a pump track on a slightly larger scale with a roll in so the bigger bikes can rock it too, and add in some freeride, and dirt jumps features to it to make it even more fun.
    And as well my doc told me by mid december I should be all clear to do whatever again, so digging and building will be no problem. I'll be glad to not feel like I can hold back on the trails again in fear of tearing $30,000 in shoulder/ clavicle repair up before I was given the ok that I'm fully healed and too I'd like to participate in building something that will make others riders stoked to ride.
    How's that dirt taste?

Members who have read this thread: 0