May be Moving to work in Baltimore, where to live- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

May be Moving to work in Baltimore, where to live

So, I may be moving to the area for a new job in downtown Baltimore. If you were moving where would you move to if some of the top things you care about are the following:
    1) An easy daily commute to the central business district. I don't want to waste time looking at the bumper of the car in front of me.
    2) Access to decent trails to ride to from the house. I'd love to be able to get some before or after work rides in.
    3) Relatively easy to and from BWI. I will probably be flying in and out at least once every 2 weeks.
    4) Neighborhood with a coffee and or ice cream shop, some restaurants maybe even a club/pub with live music a short drive away.
    5) A safe neighborhood. I am used to not locking my car or house. I don't expect this but also want to be in a place were I or my wife do not feel uncomfortable walking the dog ( a small not at all imposing one ) at any hour of the day or night.
    Last edited by oldcolonial; 02-05-2020 at 02:35 PM. Reason: better grammer

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcolonial View Post
    1) An easy daily commute to the central business district. I don't want to waste time looking at the bumper of the car in front of me.
    Try to minimize time spent on the beltway (695).

2) Access to decent trails to ride to from the house. I'd love to be able to get some before or after work rides in.
    Gunpowder and Patapsco are approximately 40 minutes northeast and 25 minutes southwest of Baltimore, respectively. Susquehanna and Fair Hill are smaller and too far. Thereís some good riding up in Delaware if you want to change things up on weekends.

3) Relatively easy to and from BWI. I will probably be flying in and out at least once every 2 weeks.
    Iíd look into Howard County and southwest Baltimore County for their proximity to Patapsco. Columbia, Elkridge, Halethorpe, Arbutus, Catonsville, Hanover, and Ellicott City are very close to BWI.

4) Neighborhood with a coffee and or ice cream shop, some restaurants maybe even a club/pub with live music a short drive away.
    If you just need one of each and youíre OK with driving there, thatís pretty much anywhere but living in the city youíll have a much broader selection. Fish Head Cantina in Halethorpe (not in the city) is an example of a decent neighborhood bar with live music.

5) A safe neighborhood. I am used to not locking my car or house. I don't expect this but also want to be in a place were I or my wife do not feel uncomfortable walking the dog ( a small not at all imposing one ) at any hour of the day or night.
    Anywhere within riding distance of singletrack is probably reasonably safe because itís in the suburbs. I live in the city and just deal with the random gunshots, petty theft, and DGAF attitude.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I don't know all the specific neighborhoods and it's a big area so you'll have to do some research but what you're describing sounds an awful lot like the areas surrounding Patapsco State Park. Ellicott City, Elkridge, Catonsville, Arbutus... That area.

I am the owl
    Catonsville. Plenty of places to get a house with a short pedal to the trails. Easy access to BWI, easy access to downtown. Main street Catonsville has expanded in recent years with bar restaurant options when you want to be close. More options 10-15 minutes away in Federal Hill in B-more or Ellicott City in the other direction.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Definitely keep it coming!. As a follow up question, I have seen that property values have been flat to trending down in many of the areas. This is concerning to me given the general trend in coastal house prices being up, and in some cases up significantly. With that in mind, how is the rental market. I am feeling like I would much rather pay rent than buy and face all that price risk.

I am the owl
    If you buy in Catonsville/Ellicott City area you should be fine. Focus roughly in the Patapsco Valley corridor. Baltimore City proper is probably not a good marker. Gentrified areas command high prices, the rest of the city probably going down (very generally speaking). Look roughly in this area. Pay a visit and ride Patapsco if you can. https://www.trailforks.com/region/pa...ey-state-park/

Quite a few group rides, happen, so you can get a local tour and also talk to some people about the area. https://more-mtb.org/pages/events

I use to live there, it's a good location for daily riding. I'm out in Frederick now, which you'll be 45ish minutes a way from and well worth the trip out for our riding. https://www.trailforks.com/region/frederick-watershed/

May be Moving to work in Baltimore, where to live-map.jpg
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    We had the very same choice to make 5 years ago. Without question, Catonsville for the win. Good shops in the area, good food, access to P'tap is right out the back door depending on where you pick, the airport is very close and easy to get to, and the heinous bumper-bumper traffic is for pretty short distances most days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Turns out the job did not work out. They checked and ( I assume!) liked references but I was the back up candidate. So, for now, I am still keeping the rubber side down in the Boston Metro Area. Thank you all for the insights.