Massanutten western slope info- Mtbr.com
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Massanutten western slope info

Hey there,

I'm making the annual family trip out to Capon Springs, WV in a couple of weeks and was thinking about setting a day aside to get some Shenandoah stoke! The last two years, I've been too overwhelmed to screw around with the logistics and opted for just riding park at both Bryce and Massanutten, but I'd like to check out actual trails this time out.

I was thinking about renting at Shenandoah Bike Company, then heading over to the Massanutten western slope system. I'm a pretty competent rider coming from the PacNW so I'd love to experience some techy East Coast descents.

Any suggestions for your favorite routes? I was looking at Pink Loop on mtbproject.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I've never ridden there, but here's a strava link from the XXC race last weekend.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2418963641

Folks always talk about 2000 hours as being techy.

Here's the enduro as well from last weekend.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2415548458

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Also check out the stokesville campgrounds.
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/703...om-stokesville
    '18 Sentinel
    '19 GT Fury

mtbr member
    May 2017
    If you had two hours to ride at either western slope or out of Stokesville CG, what would be your choice rides? ( will be in Harrisonburg for a class next week and can get out after 5 or 6p for a ride.... wil have lights too for extended ride )
    thnx for info

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Hey there,

I'm making the annual family trip out to Capon Springs, WV in a couple of weeks and was thinking about setting a day aside to get some Shenandoah stoke! The last two years, I've been too overwhelmed to screw around with the logistics and opted for just riding park at both Bryce and Massanutten, but I'd like to check out actual trails this time out.

I was thinking about renting at Shenandoah Bike Company, then heading over to the Massanutten western slope system. I'm a pretty competent rider coming from the PacNW so I'd love to experience some techy East Coast descents.

Any suggestions for your favorite routes? I was looking at Pink Loop on mtbproject.

Thanks!
    I'd just check out the enduro course to figure out the choice descents and build a route from there depending on desired distance. You could also just do laps climbing the gravel, it's not a terrible climb and there's a bunch of options from the top. Regardless of what you do, make sure you ride 2,000 hours. (The descent off Kaylor knob is pretty killer too.)

Quote Originally Posted by spleeft View Post
    If you had two hours to ride at either western slope or out of Stokesville CG, what would be your choice rides? ( will be in Harrisonburg for a class next week and can get out after 5 or 6p for a ride.... wil have lights too for extended ride )
    thnx for info
    Stokesville CG - Shaeffer Hollow out the back of the campground to Lookout then add in either Trimble Mountain loop or an out and back on Tilghman West... Though either option adds a bunch of gravel. If I was looking to just do trail I'd probably just do the full Narrowback/Festival loop... But Lookout and Trimble are far better.

Western Slope - I'd make it a priority to get to Kaylor's knob and do the long (nearly 20 minutes) descent off of that from the enduro. I'd probably do the gravel climb to the ridge trail, ridge out to Kaylor's and down the descent then back up the road for a quick lap of 2,000 hours if I was in a hurry and just wanted the goods.

This question seems familiar, almost like it's left a scar on my mind.

Jan 2004
    Thanks for all the beta, TheDwayyo, notso and F.I.T.nj! Good idea checking out the enduro route to put a ride together, but I'll make sure Kaylor's and 2,000 hours are on the list! And looks like I'll be flying out with my own bike, though I'm still planning to stop into SBC -- looks like a cool shop.

And anyone who wants to meet up and watch a NW punter deal with East Coast chunk (and humidity), I'd be stoked to have a ride buddy. I'll probably be looking to ride mid-week 6/24 - 6/28.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You could always ride the 2K trail up and get a good feel of the humidity. It's not really that bad going up.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    I posted this in the other thread, but it bears repeating. Tillman road is closed at Hearthstone Lake. You can get through on a bike when they're not working, but is otherwise a major obstacle if starting in Stokesville proper with the intention of riding anything off Narrowback and Reddish.

Jan 2004
    Belated thanks to all for the beta on Massanutten. Made it out there last Wednesday -- hot AF, but had a good time. I got a couple of laps of 2K hours and threw in a Special K which was also pretty fun (despite almost running over a snake and t-boning a deer!), then climbed up to Kaylor's and descended upper Lairds back towards the lot. I got a little lost down at the bottom of Lairds DH and noodled around for a while before finding the imba flow trail.

I did get a lot of strange looks and a bit of side-eye from hikers going up to Kaylor's. I'm happy I ended up doing the loop counter-clockwise 'cause there definitely would have been drama descending down the ridge trail.

Fun day overall -- big shoutout to the builders!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I'm heading down to this area late August, I've been trying to find a good idea of what trails to ride and where to park to access them. Having never been to Virginia I'm pumped to ride here, just trying to figure it out

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by borgomen View Post
    I'm heading down to this area late August, I've been trying to find a good idea of what trails to ride and where to park to access them. Having never been to Virginia I'm pumped to ride here, just trying to figure it out
    What area of the state are you planning to be in and what kind of riding are you looking for? Generally speaking, the standard "go to stokesville" answer covers all the bases. But if you're looking for something specific, other spots might be better.

In "late" august, most of the SM100 course trails should be pretty well cleared since the race is Labor day weekend.

Here's a strava file for the "standard" Lookout Mtn loop (not from the campground). It starts and ends at a public, Forest service parking lot.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2533068241

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    What area of the state are you planning to be in and what kind of riding are you looking for? Generally speaking, the standard "go to stokesville" answer covers all the bases. But if you're looking for something specific, other spots might be better.

In "late" august, most of the SM100 course trails should be pretty well cleared since the race is Labor day weekend.

Here's a strava file for the "standard" Lookout Mtn loop (not from the campground). It starts and ends at a public, Forest service parking lot.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2533068241
    Most likely staying somewhere near Harrisonburg but we haven't booked anything yet. Wherever we stay needs to be relatively close to Shenandoah park (the reason we are going ha) . Harrisonburg seemed to be a central spot between George Washington forest , Shenandoah and Massanutten (all of which seemed to be places to ride at first glance at my project)

That Strava link looks great! We are looking for singletrack trails mainly, avoiding extended paved riding if possible. Nothing too gnarly as my wife is coming off of a recent crash and won't have too much seat time coming into the trip. Overlooks are always welcome

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone have an a 2020 version of a recommended route at Western slope? I've ridden there one time, back in fall 2016 and it looks like I went:

-clockwise up to kaylors ridge (up lairds DH)
    -Kaylors ridge over to 2k hours.
    -2k to special k
    -special to lower homestead

Based on reading through here and the directions on trailforks there are probably better routes to take. Ill be riding this wednesday afternoon on a Knolly Warden C.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    Anyone have an a 2020 version of a recommended route at Western slope? I've ridden there one time, back in fall 2016 and it looks like I went:

-clockwise up to kaylors ridge (up lairds DH)
    -Kaylors ridge over to 2k hours.
    -2k to special k
    -special to lower homestead

Based on reading through here and the directions on trailforks there are probably better routes to take. Ill be riding this wednesday afternoon on a Knolly Warden C.
    Left at the map board at the back of the parking lot, follow the gold diamonds until youíre back at the parking lot about an hour later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The gold loop misses a lot of the best trails there but it can be used as a base route and take some detours.

Using MTB Projects featured rides:
    Start on Gold Loop but take a detour to ride Laird's loop. Laird's Nostril is a nice rocky climb and Laird's Nose is a very fun descent. Get back on Gold Loop but make a left to climb Upper Ravine up to the ridge line. Stay on the ridge line South all the way down to Puzzler. The end of Puzzler will get you on Special K and take you back to parking on Homestead.

I haven't actually ridden this route yet but I've been on each trail on seperate rides. It hits some really good climbs and some of the best downhills. Plenty of Massanutten's rockyness in that route. As I don't get out there to ride often enough I haven't been on the inner trails much. But if you want more riding by the end of Puzzler you have easy access to any of the inner trails you wanna try.

I'm assuming you already paid but if not you need to pay on the LuvTrails app.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    I'm assuming you already paid but if not you need to pay on the LuvTrails app.
    Donít assume youíll have cell service at the parking lot. I saw quite a few people try to scan the barcode on the signs and it didnít work due to weak cell signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the advice everyone - here is a route a buddy also gave me:
    "
    -up Gold Loop counter clockwise, to upper ravine, right on Kaylors ridge trail, to 2k then -split left off of 2k up to the ridge for the new puzzler trail,
    -Left on Special K to bottom of 2k, cross the road, drop down berm trail.
    -Take a right on Lower Ravine, left on Big valley Drop-in, straight across onto blooming laurel, cross over onto new trail Quarantine (not on map),
    -left at bottom, follow blue trail till top of little monkey, down lower homestead.