Massanutten Riding- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    43

    Massanutten Riding

    I travel up to Massanutten / Elkton area on business every couple of weeks. What sort of riding is there over there? I usually stay in Harrisonburg for a night or two, and have one whole day free to ride or at least an afternoon usually. I have done the Massanutten DH and will be doing it again this year. But it is probably easier for me to pack my XC bike on business trips. Any suggestions would be well taken.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    I am the owl
    Reputation: riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,908
    If you stay in Harrisonburg, head west to the Todd Lake area of the George Washington Nat. Forest. Look for Stokesville on the map. Tons of great riding in that area. Check in with the Shenandoah Bicycle Company in Harrisonburg and they should be able to hook you up with info.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    46
    The western slopes of massanutten are really good. It's where the virginia state championship is held each year. I used to work in Elkton and rode there all the time. Very good trails, scenic etc.

    Go towards Elkton on 33, turn left onto Indian Trail Rd. Go through Keezletown and turn right onto mountain valley road, turn right on Happy Valley road, and then you will see a small parking area where you can access all the trails. There is a paved road that goes up to the top of massanutten resort area, its gated off at the top. There are trails crossing the paved road at several places.

  4. #4
    featherweight clydesdale
    Reputation: Fattirewilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker033
    The western slopes of massanutten are really good. It's where the virginia state championship is held each year. I used to work in Elkton and rode there all the time. Very good trails, scenic etc.

    Go towards Elkton on 33, turn left onto Indian Trail Rd. Go through Keezletown and turn right onto mountain valley road, turn right on Happy Valley road, and then you will see a small parking area where you can access all the trails. There is a paved road that goes up to the top of massanutten resort area, its gated off at the top. There are trails crossing the paved road at several places.
    Si, but to my knowledge its private and not open unless you're a resort guest, with an employee, done a bunch of trailwork there, or something similar. Someone shout if I'm wrong.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly
    Si, but to my knowledge its private and not open unless you're a resort guest, with an employee, done a bunch of trailwork there, or something similar. Someone shout if I'm wrong.

    That is correct. I was just staying there last week. I got stopped once by a guy asking for the resort pass thing. At least this time he didn't have a gun.

    I had a really good time one some of those new trails there! I think I covered just about the whole mountain while I was there. Thanks for the trail work!!!

    I would think they should offer a trail pass there. You know like 10,15$ for a day or something. I think they mainly uses it as a point when they are trying to sell you condos. I can't quite figure why massanutten resort is trying to do with it.

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTarget24
    That is correct. I was just staying there last week. I got stopped once by a guy asking for the resort pass thing. At least this time he didn't have a gun.

    I had a really good time one some of those new trails there! I think I covered just about the whole mountain while I was there. Thanks for the trail work!!!

    I would think they should offer a trail pass there. You know like 10,15$ for a day or something. I think they mainly uses it as a point when they are trying to sell you condos. I can't quite figure why massanutten resort is trying to do with it.

    So I guess that those trails are out of the question, as I am not staying on the resort. I will be in Harrisonburg tomorrow, and should be done with meetings by about 3. Will I be able to get to the "Todd Lake" area and get some riding in before dark? I havent checked the map yet.

  7. #7
    featherweight clydesdale
    Reputation: Fattirewilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro Newbee
    So I guess that those trails are out of the question, as I am not staying on the resort. I will be in Harrisonburg tomorrow, and should be done with meetings by about 3. Will I be able to get to the "Todd Lake" area and get some riding in before dark? I havent checked the map yet.
    Yup. Bring a flash light, matches, food, and some cooler weather clothing...just in case.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RetroG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro Newbee
    So I guess that those trails are out of the question, as I am not staying on the resort. I will be in Harrisonburg tomorrow, and should be done with meetings by about 3. Will I be able to get to the "Todd Lake" area and get some riding in before dark? I havent checked the map yet.
    Check out Reddish Knob. It is near the Hone Quarry camping area West of Harrisonburg. There is so much riding out that way, it's hard to choose. Time is a factor. Check out the trail review section: Harrisonburg, Shenandoah Mtn, Stokesville areas.
    Or go here: Shenandoah Mountain Touring

  9. #9
    shaved yeti
    Reputation: bonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    430

    Massanuttin' Hijack!

    Sorry for the thread hijack, I figured this was a good place to post a few questions.
    I'll be out that way May 19th through the 25th and I need to know what bike to bring with me.

    What's the terrain like there?
    Am I looking at bringing a super-light XC rig, all-mountain bike, park bike, freeride, DH?
    What kind of knobbies are you folks running out that way?

    What's everybody's opinion?

    TIA
    Too old to ride. Too young to die.

  10. #10
    gefiltephish
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    98
    I'd check out www.shenandoahmountainbikeclub.com and check out the trail updates, trail work dates, contact many knowledgable people, esp. those on the Exec. Board like Thomas, who also owns Shenandoah Bicycle Co. (www.shenandoahbicycle.com). Going on a Monday social ride was a great way to learn the trails around the valley... Rode Mud Pond and Narrowback on one side of the valley and the 'Nut on the other. Every Friday they have a "Friday Fatty" ride which the site describes as 3-4 hours in the GW Nat'l Forest.

    I'd say a lighter full sus xc rig would be best for these trails.... some loose rock and sand, lots of rocks and roots, some mud... the trails flow great although to get to the scenic views on the knobs of most peaks be prepared for billy-goat graded climbs. I personally go it on a Bianchi steel hardtail and would have it no other way, I know ppl who ride here on DH rigs and rigid SS so just have fun

    Last week was the IMBA trail building week and my girlfriend and I personally helped shelf an awesome switchback. They had two machines made especially for trail building...

  11. #11
    gefiltephish
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    98
    Tires?!? I was running Fire XC Pros and they worked fine... but especially on a hardtail I wanted some additional height, girth, and general cushion... I found the IRC Trailbears (2.25) are great for that apllication made the Fire XCs seem very narrow (I think they're more like true 1.95s) I would NOT run a Hutchinson Python or something made for efficiency, on the climbs and tech. sections they'll be done... there are some crazy rock sections at massanutten...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    272
    I was there over july 4th weekend and had a geat time .hooked up with the guys at the shop and rode the backside .it was awesome , After riding we went to the water park and had a blast riding the flowrider wave and all the slides,and floating around the lazy river ,It wasnt very crowded at all.I was surprised and I was thouroughly whooped after biking and enjoying the water park .By the way theres a good buffet in the water park which i took full advantage of after a full day of fun cant wait to go back.
    trlridr

  13. #13
    featherweight clydesdale
    Reputation: Fattirewilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,381
    Just an update: annual trail passes for Massanutten are available for purchase

    Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition: Massanutten
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,816
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTarget24 View Post
    That is correct. I was just staying there last week. I got stopped once by a guy asking for the resort pass thing. At least this time he didn't have a gun.

    I had a really good time one some of those new trails there! I think I covered just about the whole mountain while I was there. Thanks for the trail work!!!

    I would think they should offer a trail pass there. You know like 10,15$ for a day or something. I think they mainly uses it as a point when they are trying to sell you condos. I can't quite figure why massanutten resort is trying to do with it.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+What he said

    I'm currently dating a woman down in Harrisonburg so we swap meeting places every couple wks. So I went down there and found out that the MT. was close by. Went out one day and rode it while she hiked. It was ok and I could ride it more but as target pointed out, and as I found out from a local, it's privately owned. If you want to become a club member, it's like $50 bucks for the yr and another $12 for the resort pass. No day passes. WTF? I was told that you can do trail work in exchange for a day pass or something but since I have limited time there, that's a no-go for me.

    I did check out Red Knob but didn't get to ride that day. The trail from the top looks great. However, it's a 10 mile road ride to get back to the top. So unless you're going to shuttle w/ someone, you're road climbing. When I was there, a could guys were getting ready for their second run down the trail after shuttling it.

    I've got some great riding here (Davis, Big Bear, Coopers Rock, Kanawha Forest, Valley Falls and others I've not even explored yet) that for the limited time down there visiting her, I'll just ride here. If you're going to be down there alot, a club membership and pass would be worth it.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by trlrdr View Post
    I was there over july 4th weekend and had a geat time .hooked up with the guys at the shop and rode the backside .it was awesome , After riding we went to the water park and had a blast riding the flowrider wave and all the slides,and floating around the lazy river ,It wasnt very crowded at all.I was surprised and I was thouroughly whooped after biking and enjoying the water park .By the way theres a good buffet in the water park which i took full advantage of after a full day of fun cant wait to go back.
    Did you ride the New Trail (pink)? It starts at the overlook and makes a loop back to it, its my favorite trail on the western slope. I live in Massanutten and ride the trails several times a week. I park at the overlook take pink down, hit the trails at the bottom and take pink back up.
    -Nick

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,248
    Just finished my second trip there. Place is a blast but you better not mind climbing back up to the top! I love the rock sections along the ridge on the top of the pink trail (if taken to the right out of the parking lot). The berms have held up well but have alot of junk down in the bottoms witch makes the climbs hard if you com back up them.

    Great place and really fun trails!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Good View Post
    Did you ride the New Trail (pink)? It starts at the overlook and makes a loop back to it, its my favorite trail on the western slope. I live in Massanutten and ride the trails several times a week. I park at the overlook take pink down, hit the trails at the bottom and take pink back up.
    -Nick
    I will have to hook up with you nxt time im down, if your game for showing an old guy around, My 5spot & I took advantage of the boys at the bike shop using their knowlage, they were great hosts and you gotta love the shuttle . L0L
    trlridr

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.