Massanutten Mountain area trail- Mtbr.com
    CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Massanutten Mountain area trail

Out of my home turf here. I was riding on a backroad between Edinburg and Luray Caverns area a few weeks back on Rt 675. Passed an ORV trail sytem on 1 ridge, then came to the top of a second ridge. (This is somewhere near Roosevelt Camp). A trail goes north at least a couple of miles north to Kennedy Peak or Kennedy Knob. I think itís on Massanutten Mountain. Trail looked pretty cool with a lot of embedded rocks. Is this a worthy MTB ride? I just walked the trail a ľ mile or so and it looks like fun. Iím supposed to be back in the same area Sunday and thought I might have time for an afternoon ride on the ridgetop.

mtbr member
    Massanutten Trail

You are correct, take it North toward Kennedy Peak. It involves some climbing, but is a great ride. 2-3 miles from 675, you come to a trail intesection. It should be signed, Kennedy Peak to the right, Massanutten Trail to the left. Right ends at a lookout over Kennedy Peak. Left keeps on rolling...and after another mile on Mass., go left onto Stephens Trail. Hold on tight!! Awesome ride back down to 675 at Camp Roosevelt, which is a good place to park and start the ride. Probably 1-1.5 hour long ride. Across from Camp Roosevelt is Duncan Hollow (orange trail). Another great ride.
    National Geographic Trail Map 792 has all the trails on Massanutten and Great North Mtn. It's a very good map for learning the area.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Thanks RetroG. I saw a number of cars parked at the Camp Roosevelt area and some at the top (quite a few from out of state). I did not see any bike racks apparent, so I was wondering about the MTB potential. I might just have a few hours to spare, so that loop sounds excellent. Will pick that map up at a later date.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider
    Thanks RetroG. I saw a number of cars parked at the Camp Roosevelt area and some at the top (quite a few from out of state). I did not see any bike racks apparent, so I was wondering about the MTB potential. I might just have a few hours to spare, so that loop sounds excellent. Will pick that map up at a later date.
    It's one of my favorite rides. That and Massanutten heading south thru Duncan Hollow all the way to 211 and back on Crisman Hollow Rd.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    RetroG. Thanks for the advice. Rode the loop yesterday afternoon. Wow. I thought Dragons Back had rocks. The top of Massanutten Mountain is the rockiest stuff I have ever had 2 wheels on. Had to walk a little, particularly in the steep section leading up to Kennedy Peak. The cool part is, even with all the rocks it is mostly rideable. Rocks are almost all embedded and most are not sharp. The drop down Stephens Trail is awesome too. Even the tame sections of these trails have more rocky technical riding than most trails. Typical in my area is that you run into a patch of this stuff and then it smooths out again. Massanutten rocks just keep on coming. Will post some trail photos on my Photobucket site later this week. I really feel like this ride improved my technical riding skills considerably (I've been riding about 3 years now). You either have to ride em - or walk. I missed the trail up Masanutten on my way up and just rode the road. Where does that trail come out on top?

Duncan Hollow will be next on the must ride list.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Can someone recommend a 4-5 hour route here?

Hi,

I've never made it out to this area for a MTB ride, but I often ride by it on the road coming up through the fort valley. Can someone recommend a good 4-5 hour route through here? I have the right trail map, so I can link it up on my map if you give me the trail names or numbers. What trail head should I leave from?

How easy is it to get lost out there?

Thanks guys,

Steve

I am the owl
    Try this:
    Up Shaw from Ft. Valley, Buzzard Rock from South to North, down the road to Sherman, north on the ridge back to the Shaw intersection, finish by descending Shaw back to Ft. Valley.

That will give you some of the most technical trail you can ride with some killer climbs and descents.

Trails are well marked, but be prepared, there really aren't any bailouts and there are a few places where mistakes have a high penalty.

BTW, this is on the north end.
    Last edited by riderx; 02-28-2008 at 01:55 PM.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

I am the owl
    Another slightly less technical option (still plenty of rocks):
    Sidewinder up to Mudhole gap, left on road, right on Mine Gap, Right on Orange (Mass. trail I believe), descend orange to road again, follow north to Signal Knob, right on Signal Knob trail, right on Menaka Peak, descend Bear Wallow to Sidewinder finish in Signal Knob lot.

Both rides start in the Signal Knob lot. You can extend the above ride by skipping the Mine Gap climb and continuing to the T intersection, go right and climb to Woodstock tower, then right on Mass. Trail. then pick the ride up from directions above.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Another slightly less technical option (still plenty of rocks):
    Sidewinder up to Mudhole gap, left on road, right on Mine Gap, Right on Orange (Mass. trail I believe), descend orange to road again, follow north to Signal Knob, right on Signal Knob trail, right on Menaka Peak, descend Bear Wallow to Sidewinder finish in Signal Knob lot.

Both rides start in the Signal Knob lot. You can extend the above ride by skipping the Mine Gap climb and continuing to the T intersection, go right and climb to Woodstock tower, then right on Mass. Trail. then pick the ride up from directions above.
    Thanks for both descriptions. I'll have to check them out. I'm growing tired of doing all my training on the road.

I am the owl
    If you want to shorten ride number 1, after descending Buzzards and hitting the road, turn right on Shaw and climb back to the ridge that way instead of Sherman. It's an easy turn to miss, it's an unmarked dirt service road. You'll miss some great tech. ridge riding that way but it's still a good loop and if you are with some one who is suffering or you are short on time it's another option.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Members who have read this thread: 0