Maryland Bound!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Maryland Bound!

mtbr member

Maryland Bound!

Hey everyone!

My wife and I are bound for the Baltimore area due to job relocation. So while I'm trolling job sites I figured I'd do something fun and look at the local forums

We've got a few questions. We've looked at some nice houses in the Whitemarsh area's and liked the place, but where are some other nice spots to live in? We'd like to be near Baltimore, but not necessarily in Baltimore.

How about some cool local riding spots? I know of Patpsco State Park, but that's about it.

Lastly, how about some good local LBS's?

Thanks for the help, and if you can think of any other good to know information for a new transplant feel free to share!

mtbr member
    Do you want to live North, South, East or West of the city? How far are you willing to commute?
    I love Anne Arundel County (between Annapolis and Bowie), I used to work in Dundalk and didn't like it there much. Towson area is nice, parts of Pasadena, Odenton, Millersville, the list goes on and on again depending on how far you want to drive.
    Rosaryville on Route 3 South in Upper Marlboro is worth a ride from Balt, Scheaffer Farms in Germantown is also worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lumber825
    Do you want to live North, South, East or West of the city? How far are you willing to commute?
    I love Anne Arundel County (between Annapolis and Bowie), I used to work in Dundalk and didn't like it there much. Towson area is nice, parts of Pasadena, Odenton, Millersville, the list goes on and on again depending on how far you want to drive.
    Rosaryville on Route 3 South in Upper Marlboro is worth a ride from Balt, Scheaffer Farms in Germantown is also worth the trip.

Great question!

My wife is working for Black and Decker, which is situated in Towson. She wants to be close to work. Myself, I do not have a job lined up yet in Baltimore, so I'm fairly open to a commute, 40-50 miles one way would not kill me, but closer the better.

So I guess, around the Towson area would be ideal.

One Gear
    Lutherville surrounds Towson to the north/west and Timonium is just north of Towson. Both are nice and have a short drive to B&D. Loch Raven is 5 minutes north of Towson is good for a local ride. Patapsco is 30 min south of Timonium, so you would have 2 parks in reach.

The commute from White Marsh to Towson sucks on any given day. 95 South can back up for miles just prior to I-695. There are 3 or 4 small bike shops around Towson and there is a Performance just East of there.

Good luck

mtbr member
    My office is 20 minutes south of Downtown Baltimore. A few of my guys have looked into living in PA near the Md line. From Towson that would not be a long commute (millage wise) but I have no idea on traffic that way. I do know that it is expensive as crap to live in Md. My guys looked to Pa for more house and less taxes then they have now.

Bicycle rider
    Welcome to Baltihood! B&D is one of my clients so I am happy to hear they are hiring. If she wants to live near work I would have to recommend Towson. I live in Columbia which is about 20 miles away and like it lots. Good luck!

Oh yea - post up in this thread when you get in town if you want to ride patapsco - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=320393&page=34
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by .40AET
    Lutherville surrounds Towson to the north/west and Timonium is just north of Towson. Both are nice and have a short drive to B&D. Loch Raven is 5 minutes north of Towson is good for a local ride. Patapsco is 30 min south of Timonium, so you would have 2 parks in reach.

The commute from White Marsh to Towson sucks on any given day. 95 South can back up for miles just prior to I-695. There are 3 or 4 small bike shops around Towson and there is a Performance just East of there.

Good luck
    FTW.

I would also add that living in the city IS a possibility - there are plenty of nice parts near Towson on the north end of things - Hampden, Roland Park, Guilford (depending on your $$ level) to name a few that have EASY (i.e. short and no traffic) access to Towson. I live in Hampden and I am about 15 minutes from both Loch Raven and Patapsco. Property taxes are high in the city but prices are still generally lower than the county. If you don't have kids, consider the city.
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    White Marsh is crap, and the traffic northeast of the city in that direction is a nightmare. Traffic around Towson can be a mess too. I agree with tbaier, I live in Mt. Vernon smack in the middle of Baltimore and I love it. Mt. Vernon, Fells Point, Canton, Charles Village, Hampden, Roland Park, and Mt. Washington are all really good neighborhoods in the city. Avoid east and west Baltimore (keep your head down), patterson park north, greektown, essex, dundalk, and glen burnie.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys! That helps a ton. Now just to find a job for a techie sales guy!

I'm looking forward to the move, should be much better than the current situation we're in!

Looking forward to riding with you guys!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Fair Hill, White Clay, and Middle Run are close to each other and less than an hour from White Marsh. The trails are listed mostly as moderate and easy singletrack.

http://www.gpstrailsource.com/Maps.aspx?MapID=26

You might also want to include Perry Hall when looking for housing. Housing is cheaper on that side of Baltimore because it's outside the Baltimore-Washington corridor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudforlunch
    White Marsh is crap
    Maybe a little harsh, but very true. If you can I would avoid the White Marsh area.

mtbr member
    Race Pace Bicycles in Columbia for a good LBS. Everything you'll need.

Columbia is a nice place to live, traffic is gonna suck anywhere.

Bicycle rider
    Princeton Sports in Columbia is also another good LBS.
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0