Happy Trails
    Apr 2010

Marlinton/Tea Creek/Slatyfork

Headed to Marlinton, WV/Slatyfork area this weekend. Any suggestions on must ride trails in the area? Prefer loop style rides. Any trails closed or unrideable do to the flooding in June? thanks

Ride Bikes. Drink Beer. Repeat

mtbr member
    Tea Creek is a must-ride especially the DH that parallels 150. Here's the local trail group site with more info: Local Trails | Pocahontas Trails

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    A loop we did a while back
    http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/some-...n-1017143.html

I think it was 23-24 miles, which is a lot in that neck of the woods. You could stay in the Tea Creek system by staying on Boundary to Tea Creek and not diverging off into the strip mines like we did.

A loop including Bear Pen and Boundary would be my preference for a shorter ride (my two favorite trails there).

I have not heard anything about flood damage.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Just a word of caution: The DH that parallels 150 is Tea Creek MOUNTAIN Trail. Not to be confused with Tea Creek Trail that is unrideable. Tea Creek Mountain starts near the Scenic Highway overlook (the second one if traveling from Slatyfork, the third if traveling towards Slatyfork) and Tea Creek Trail begins off of Mine Road on the other side of the Gauley system. Both end up in Tea Creek Campground.

If you have time, I'd also consider riding Kennison Mountain (several length options), and possibly a turn around Rimel, aka Laurel Run, located near the VA border on #39 (about a 9 mile loop).
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Happy Trails
    Apr 2010
    had a great weekend of riding, thanks for all the suggestions. boundary probably my favorite. spent 5 hours in the saddle on Saturday and about 2.5 on Sunday. bear pen a little too boggy for my likingon Sunday but still fun would love to ride it in drier conditions. tea creek mountain trail...ohh ****...ridge beyond my capabilities and the downhill was so overgrown, narrow and slick from rains Saturday night was hanging on for dear life but overall good experience...only if the fisherman on
    my camp trip would have better luck in the area. who knows when we will return.

Ride Bikes. Drink Beer. Repeat

mtbr member
    We might be hitting Snowshoe for a couple days and looking forward other stuff to ride. I'm assuming all these are in that area after a quick look at a map? How many days is snowshoe worth?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

the unvarnished nonsense
    Snowshoe gets a lot of DH attention but there's plenty of good XC there as well. Back in the day NORBA raced there and of course the 24 Hours moved there from Canaan. Maybe a day of riding at Snowshoe proper and a day riding out of Silver Creek. It's not single track but you could always ride the old gated FS roads out to the long abandoned logging town of Spruce. There's nothing there to actually see except the scenery and railroad tracks, but still a pretty cool ride.

Coming off of the mountain its probably 20-25 minutes to get to Slatyfork and the Mine Rd entrance to the Gauley trail system. Another 10-15 will put you at the end of the Highland Scenic Highway. Probably another 30 minutes to cross the HSH and get to the Cranberry Vistor's Center for the Kennison trails. Rimel area is better accessed from Snowshoe if you go "off the back" and head towards Green Bank then head south (30 minutes, at least).
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Anyone know if Tea Creek Trail is still unridable? And if so, are there sections that are passable the could be used to link up a loop?

Any other recent or pertinent intel for first-time visitors?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fleetwood View Post
    Anyone know if Tea Creek Trail is still unridable? And if so, are there sections that are passable the could be used to link up a loop?

Any other recent or pertinent intel for first-time visitors?
    Tea Creek Trail is the same, with the exception of occassional massive rains which change the landscape for the better, or most likely for the worse. It is extremely rocky with countless creek crossings. it can be "ridden," but most likely you will be walking on many sections.

Are you sure you are not confusing Tea Creek Trail with Tea Creek MOUNTAIN Trail, which is the trail that is commonly ridden?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I was trying to follow CCR's route as described in the link above.

Would the following be a decent route? Depart Tea Creek campground on Bannock shoals to Boundary trail to Bear Pen Ridge to Gauley Mountain down to Tea Creek Mtn back to campground?