Looking for trail suggestions in the GWNF...- Mtbr.com
    Bikecurious
    Aug 2007

Looking for trail suggestions in the GWNF...

So after too many years off I'm finally getting back into riding and am looking for some suggestions for some new trails near Harrisonburg. I'm in pretty crappy shape so the uphills kill me, but I'm not too bad in the technical areas. I've ridden Mud Pond, Narrowback, Flat Run, and a few others in the George Washington National Forest. Any Other suggestions that wouldn't kill a newb? Looking for some maybe 8-12 mile loops with a variety of terrain. iknow there are a ton of trails that don't really show up on any maps, any suggestions would be appreciated.

old man riding!
    There are three that I would consider my favorites, first is Braley's pond,second is dowells draft, and third is lookout moutain trail. Lookout is my favorite. If you go to Black Dog bikes in Staunton or Shenadoah bike in Harrisonburg you can get directions to the trail.. Have fun.

I live to bike
    Shenandoah Mountain Trail. IMBA lists the Southern Traverse section of the Shenandaoh Mtn Trail as an epic. Awesome trail! Maybe a little on the long side, but awesome nonetheless. quick overview--5 mile fireroad climb, ~15 miles of awesome rolling singletrack, ~15 miles back along the road. There is a bailout at Jerkemtight Rd to make it shorter. IMBA's website will give you directions, etc. http://www.imba.com/epics/harrisonburg_va.html

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Buy this map It'll be the best $9 you've ever spent and shows the entire GWNF in detail. There have been several times I'd have been completely lost without it.

Bikecurious
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions. Is Braley's Pond the same as Bridge Hollow? If so that was an awesome ride, kicked my ass but one of the funnest I've been on. I think the Southern Traverse might be a little out of my skill and stamina level, as well as the 5 mile climb up Dowell's. Lookout might be next on the list though. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them, I'm aways up for an adventure. Jastangl, I have a very similar map, but thanks for the info. There are just so many trails around here its hard to figure them out without someone who's ridden them before. Thanks.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by g-bus
    Thanks for the suggestions. Is Braley's Pond the same as Bridge Hollow?
    Basically, Bridge hollow is the trail from Ramsey's draft/Mountain house that climbs up to the ridge gap for Bald Ridge. If you go straight through the trail intersection at the top of the ridge and drop down the descent on the other side that trail is called Bald Ridge Trail, but is the Braley's descent as you end up at Braley Pond.

I've yet to ride all of Lookout, one of the few I have left to hit up, but the section we rode of it at the end of the SM100 Sunday was super fun ridge riding.

If you don't want to climb up the fire road to Dowell's, just start at the bottom of the single track descent and start climbing up until you get tired. That single track is not steep and absolutely rips on the way down. These are the easier trails in the area with most of the flow.

Members who have read this thread: 0