Looking for those 2 hours of climbing, one hour of decending type places- Mtbr.com
    Huh?

Looking for those 2 hours of climbing, one hour of decending type places

Sometimes I just can't satisfy myself. I've started to love the trails around here but the problem I'm having with them is that they are too flat. I'm not a big fan of 100 foot climbs. What I'm really looking for is a mountain where you climb for a good long time, and descend it back down. I'm thinking there are some places in WVA that would be good, but I'm not very sure. Please tell me if you can think of anywhere. In case it might help, I'm riding a 5-6" travel bike and ride relatively lightly, but love chucking the thing around.

Bicycle rider
    The Watershed has what you are looking for.

I am the owl
    Looks like you are in Sterling, VA. If you are looking for long climbs followed by long descents the closest place will be Elizabeth Furnace just west of Front Royal. Might not be an hour downhill but you can probably find 40 minutes. Keep traveling south on the Massanutten Mt. range and you'll find plenty more stuff including lots of good trails in the area west of Harrisonburg. All of this is part of the George Washington National Forest which has a lot of long climbs and long descents.

WV will have some options too, just not as close. Maybe some of those locals can chime in with their favorites. The Watershed in MD has plenty of technical terrain and some good climbs but you won't climb for 2 hours and you'll max out descent time at 10 minutes or so.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

www.justthebonnet.com
    In WV, Slatyfork has more climbing that you can puke on. Kennison Mtn, Boundary Trail, Props run, tons of climbs. Search for Slatyfork on the forums & you'll find plenty of info.

In Va, you have Douthat State Park with lots of long climbs & super fun downhills. Search the VA DCR website for trail info & park maps.

By Blacksburg you have Poverty Creek/Pandapas Pond with plenty of climbing & downhills to be had there as well.

By Roanoke you have Carvins Cove, again, enough climbing to make you want to puke.

Where are u located for reference?
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

Bicycle rider
    When I feel like doing an epic climb I jump on my road bike and hit Skyline Drive. Start in any of the small towns at the bottom of the mountain and then ride up to Skyline and then do as much of Skyline as you want and then turn around and head back. That is if you have a road bike!

she keep you buying rats
    Quote Originally Posted by ExigeS
    The Watershed has what you are looking for.
    Where is the 2 hour climb in the shed??
    ;-)

I haven't been there myself yet (I was going to to this weekend but got sidetracked) but Reddish Knob. It's down a little west of Staunton VA... the peak is 4,397ft, but I think the base is about 1,100ft. There used to be a video on Youtube of part of the decent.... it looked awesome. I think it's 10 miles in length.

Without going deep into WV... just over in the eastern panhandle there's Cacapon (a little south of Berkeley Springs WV, about 30mi west of Hagerstown). Depending on which route you choose to the top it's pretty techincal, steep and slow. It's about 2,300. It's pretty steep so the decent might not be a full hour.

( http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...48144&t=p&z=13 )

Western NC is where you can do lots of long climbs and long decents... there's a bunch of 5,600ft+ peaks.

Huh?
    Thanks for all of the replies. I actually live in Leesburg, but I'll update that whenever . I might have high expectations for long climbs and descents living where I live, but longer climbs than 30 seconds are very welcome.

I was looking at Douthat for a while now, and I do plan to go there one day. Some website that reviews trails rates it incredibly highly (and these guys have been to British Columbia).

I've never heard of Slatyfork, so I guess I'll have to look that up. Blacksburg and Roanake seem kind of far, but I've never driven to those areas and know the names only by reputation.

As for Skyline, I'm afraid I'm lacking a road bike.

Cacapon. I've never heard of it. I'm looking all of these trails up as I type. But I'm definitely keeping all of these in mind... riding around in Sterling and Leesburg for 11 years does get boring after a while

mtbr member
    Move to the Rockies or the West Coast for what you REALLY want...

the unvarnished nonsense
    Douthat, Slatyfork. Climbing at the shed????

Again, Douthat, Slatyfork.....
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Jul 2004
    liberty furnace,
    just west of woodstock VA, its about 1500' of elevation gain, really really nice down tech upper and fast lower.

about a 2 hour climb but like a 10 min down...

if I could go down for an hour I would reach utopia

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Big Walker Mtn. in sw Va.
    the climb is pavement-up rt. 52-then rolling gravel/rock till downhill.
    down is 7+ miles.
    lots of big gravel-long downhills in Bland and Giles Co. Va.

Bz
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    Agreed,

I live here in fairfax and enjoy the climb/decent mountain biking, which I have not found on the east coast. Man do I miss SLC.

mtbr member
    Ditto...there are no two hour climbs in the shed. If you haven't been there though and you live as close as Leesburg it's definitely worth checking out.

I don't know if I could do a sustained two hour climb on a mountain bike...that would be pretty tough, and I'm in decent shape. Two hour climb backpacking no problem. Two hour climb on a road bike probably doable, but I'm a wimp and don't ride on roads.

Huh?
    It's not so much the climb as the downhill I'm interested in. I'd take a 10 minute climb and a 2 hour downhill any day, but physics just doesn't work like that. I'm in fairly bad shape for a biker, but when you think about it, the most fun part of biking is doing that special run after a hard ride.

I figure this thread is good for many reasons, and I hope it also helps others. Thanks for the incredible responses.

Right now, I'm thinking of hitting the Watershed this weekend... mmmm

Torque me. Make me spin!
    I was going to suggest Black Canyon Trial in Wilson, WY.

mtbr member
    Check out the thread Gambrill Today...we have gone up the last couple weekends and done the DH runs...we'll probably go this weekend too...sunday usually...meet at the Comcast towers...
    Maybe see ya there...I ride a black Perp...names Ed

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am a recent ~ about 6month transplant to the DC metro area (east Falls Church) from Flagstaff , AZ. I know people think flat desert when they think Arizona but northern Arizona has real mountains, real as in more than 10,000 feet. Yes it seems really flat here by comparison. Many flagstaff rides were over 40 miles long and packed with more than 4000 feet of climbing. The ski hill in flagstaff has a base of 9,200ft and tops out at 11,500. Many of the ski areas around here offer up a mere 800 or so vertical feet.

All that aside the shed will not disappoint. Now that i have ridden it I am, constantly looking for gaps in my work schedule and people to car pool with. I am under employed so time is no problem but I cant afford to make the drive frequently solo.

As far as near by stuff goes potapsco is not too far away and has more elevation and topography than wakefield, shaffer, rosaryville or fountain head.

If you want a 2 hour uninterrupted climb and a long descent you need to go the Pisgah national forest.

Huh?
    Check out the thread Gambrill Today...we have gone up the last couple weekends and done the DH runs...we'll probably go this weekend too...sunday usually...meet at the Comcast towers...
    Maybe see ya there...I ride a black Perp...names Ed
    I sure hope so. It'll be really nice to meet more riders with true passion. Be warned, I'm young and possibly bold.

mtbr member
    Well then "YOUNG MAN" you will have the opportunity to ride on your own when this old fart can't keep up with your bold self...but we'll surely point ya in the right direction...

What It Be ?
    liberty furnace,
    just west of woodstock VA, its about 1500' of elevation gain, really really nice down tech upper and fast lower.
    x2

We did alot of our SM100 training out there. We would average around 45-50 miles with about 6-8k worth of climbing over a 5-6 hour ride. Plenty of climbing a few nice decents.

I'd look into Harrisonburg. Hit up www.mtntouring.com they know all the local trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0