Looking to Test Ride Jones 29 and/or Jones Plus in Virginia Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Looking to Test Ride Jones 29 and/or Jones Plus in Virginia Area

Hello,

I am in the market to purchase a dedicated singlespeed mountain bike. I'm sold on the Jeff Jones philosophy. I currently ride a singlespeed Salsa Mukluk. I enjoy it a ton, but I want steel, a narrow Q-factor and dialed rigid (non-suspension corrected) geometry.

I'm trying to decide between the original 29er and the newer Plus model. I'm 6'2, so the Plus offers some advantage in fit with the larger 25" size. It also probably feels a bit more like my Mukluk with its meatier treads. The standard 29er offers something very different from my current ride, but does retain the option of playing with a full fat front end, if I find I just can't get on without lots of air between the rim and the ground.

I do not plan to bike-pack or tour. I just want a fun bike for punchy Blue Ridge mountain trails in a dedicated singlespeed platform.

Happy to here your thoughts on the various Jones models. Also very interested in any offers to share the Jones cult-following and help me make this decision by seeing the bikes in person.

Thanks in advance,
    Eric

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Where are you? The Bicycle Escape in Frederick, MD is an official Jones dealer and regularly carry stock. Give them a call.
    https://thebicycleescape.com/
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I actually went to Frederick about a month ago to check out Gravel & Grind and to see some Rivendell models in person. Also took note of the Crust bikes on hand there. Had I been settled on the Jones at the time, that would have made for a great day of bike store (and coffee) visits. I'm going to be planning another trip ...

I am the owl
    I've been on the Jones Ti Diamond frame (single speed) since 2008. It is by far my favorite bike with the short wheel base and where you sit in the frame. The one thing I would change about it would be in increase the BB height. I have mine set at the 12 o'clock position for max height and still would prefer higher. The Plus version drops the BB lower, deal breaker for me. In the chunky Blue Ridge, I would not want to go lower (ride in Frederick the majority of the time, they are my home trails).

I've got the fat front option, use it in the winter and sometimes in the summer.

Jones riding in Frederick
    Looking to Test Ride Jones 29 and/or Jones Plus in Virginia Area-2575828046_ce0b889e04_b.jpg
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Looking to Test Ride Jones 29 and/or Jones Plus in Virginia Area-img_0567.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	1153010I'm 5'11 and ride the ti 29 Plus (24") . The bike handles WAY better than you'd expect in tight single track . Recently, I took it with me to PR on some wet, tight and rooty trails and it performed great .

I am the owl
    FYI, Jones just announced he'll be doing his standard geometry bike with plus tires

Jones Bikes – The Jones Plus SWB is Coming!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.