Looking for a beginner group- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Looking for a beginner group

Looking for a group of beginners or causal trail riders to learn with. Iím new to the sport this year and would like to find others who want to learn or experienced riders willing to teach.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Looking for a beginner group

Quote Originally Posted by SJeffries7635 View Post
    Looking for a group of beginners or causal trail riders to learn with. Iím new to the sport this year and would like to find others who want to learn or experienced riders willing to teach.
    Maybe I missed it but it would help narrow it down if you state where you are located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Sorry I apologize, I live in Aberdeen Maryland, willing to travel a couple hours if need be.

mtbr member
    Sorry I apologize, I live in Aberdeen Maryland, willing to travel a couple hours if need be.
    Try MORE ‚Äď Riding Bikes & Building Trails Since 1992
    They have rides in your area

mtbr member
    I am close by in Bel Air, this is a good area. There are about a dozen trail systems within about 1 1/2hr drive, so no lack of access. A lot of trails have FB pages and websites (LGP, PTAP, Rosaryville, etc) that list different level rides. I am a member of MVD Mountainbikers, we do beginner and casual rides occasionally in the area --- www.meetup.com/MVDMountainBikers
    The frequency of rides on the trails should pick up here soon as the weather changes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Honestly, I don't think experienced riders can really "teach" riding. It's something you need to get out and do. Whenever I've gone out with a beginner rider it's never to teach them, it's to show them the trails and essentially babysit them to make sure they don't get into trouble.

Read the book Mastering Mountain Bike Skills to have a basic understanding of what's going on.

As you ride and find questions, come and ask here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1492544493

mtbr member
    If you want someone to teach you, hire a coach or take lessons. Technique definitely can be taught, but it requires a certain attitude on both teacher and student that you aren't likely to encounter on a group ride - generally in groups people just want to ride, not take the time to coach someone. Plus when you have 5 experienced (or not) riders, everyone has an opinion, and even if you get 5 good pieces of advice, it's impossible to think about that many things at once.
    Likewise, when I've had people ask for advice on technique on rides, it seems like they are expecting a sentence or 2 that makes them able to hop 2' the way they've seen experienced riders do. It doesn't work like that.

Finally, reading about it, or watching youtube and asking questions, while that can teach you faster than just trial and error, is no substitute for having someone watch you and critique. A large percentage of students aren't doing what they think they are doing. And a large percentage of questions I get are where someone is totally sure their problem is one thing, but they could probably benefit more from working on something else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm in Hyattsville, and routinely hit up "Fairland Park" which is right near the 495/95 split. Its a great place for beginners to learn. A bit of a hike for you, but if you're even in the area, I'd be down to pedal with you. Ya gotta start somewhere, and throwing your leg over a bike on an easy network of trails like Fairland is the place IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swell6 View Post
    I'm in Hyattsville, and routinely hit up "Fairland Park" which is right near the 495/95 split. Its a great place for beginners to learn. A bit of a hike for you, but if you're even in the area, I'd be down to pedal with you. Ya gotta start somewhere, and throwing your leg over a bike on an easy network of trails like Fairland is the place IMO.
    Good suggestion, Fairland is definitely rideable for a newbie. My group does an intermediate ride here on tues nites that I usually attend, but we have a thurs nite beginner ride also that goes slower with more stops.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Anyone got any experience at the Susquehanna trails? According to trail folks it looks to be mostly diamond and double diamond, but itís only a 20 min drive from me. Is there any trail there that I could do easily or is it all expert trails.

mtbr member
    Anyone got any experience at the Susquehanna trails?
    if it's only 20 minutes, and I'm guessing nothing else is closer.... My recollection is the trails there are more steep and exposed than rocky or rooty technical. You'll walk some sections - that's life. For me it's one of those places where the terrain looks to have a lot of potential, but the trails there don't live up to it.

Elk Neck has a really good trail that no one seems to know about. Beach season you pretty much can't get in there on weekends. Spring and fall it's a blast.

Little Gunpowder has something for any skill level, and might be not too much further from you.

BICP Level 2 Certified
    Aug 2011
    Softballl guy is on the money! Check out MVD and the Thurs night Fairland ride! It's very friendly. I lead a more advanced ride on Wed in Patapsco. Up your way, you should also check out GUMBO. Like MORE mentioned above, they are the local IMBA chapter up there.
    BICP Level 2 Instructor/Ride Leader
    MVD Mountainbiker Leader
    Patapsco Cyclopath

Pain heals. Chicks dig scares. Glory Lasts forever. - Shane Falco

My YouTube Video Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/skibum616/videos

My created products (t shirts, mugs, etc):
    http://zazzle.com/Skibum616*