Long Steady Climbs DC Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Long Steady Climbs DC Area

Does anyone have any "favorite" gravel, forest, logging, jeep, roads that are long sustained climbs? I live in Montgomery County and I am looking for some hard climbs that I can do on my mountain bike to train for several marathon races I am planning to do this year. I expect that I will end up driving down to Harrisonburg area (about 2-2.5 hours for me) to do sections of the SM100, but I was hoping for something a bit closer, maybe out by Frederick that I might be able to ride on a more regular basis. Usually, when I want to ride hills I'll head out to the Catoctin area on my road bike, but I want to spend some time doing hard hills on my mountain bike as well. Most of the local stuff seems to consist of short punchy ups. Thanks.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by edgold73 View Post
    Does anyone have any "favorite" gravel, forest, logging, jeep, roads that are long sustained climbs? I live in Montgomery County and I am looking for some hard climbs that I can do on my mountain bike to train for several marathon races I am planning to do this year. I expect that I will end up driving down to Harrisonburg area (about 2-2.5 hours for me) to do sections of the SM100, but I was hoping for something a bit closer, maybe out by Frederick that I might be able to ride on a more regular basis. Usually, when I want to ride hills I'll head out to the Catoctin area on my road bike, but I want to spend some time doing hard hills on my mountain bike as well. Most of the local stuff seems to consist of short punchy ups. Thanks.
    Frederick: From the maintenance shed at Mountaindale, if you take Mountaindale Rd/Fishing Creek Rd to the top it's 4 miles of steady climbing. If stick to right hand fork (Gambrill Park Rd) it's 5 miles, both on gravel. Fishing Creek to Hamburg is a good one too. Rum Springs on the West side. Heading north on the Ridge, Buck Lantz Rd is a good one and so is Manahan. South on the ridge you have Hawbottom.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. Thank you very much.