To the lone wheelman at Gambrill today:- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

To the lone wheelman at Gambrill today:

You are a stud.

A buddy and I made the trip down there today just for the hell of it. For me, being new at this, just the anticipation of riding something new was overwhelming. Stoked, to say the least.

We dropped in down the black, and were hoping to take a right onto yellow and do that whole loop. That initial dh section of the black beat the crap out me, but it was awesome. Then....that climb. I mean really, that's just mean. Once it opened up to the sort of doubletrack, it was solid ice under the thin layer of snow. I slipped while walking up it and busted my damn knee open. Walking!

I was about 100yds ahead of Hutch when he yelled, "Hey, the black goes this way." To which I replied, "F that dude, I'm not walking back down." Continued up what I guess was Green, to the road.

Turned right and slabbed it past the overlook until the yellow broke off to the right. Yay for ice! This is where I pickup up the scent (tracks) of another rider. And then I fell. And then I fell again. Once more for good measure. Why the hell not, right?

Hutch said, "this is dumb." So we walked through the woods back to the road, turned right again and went about a mile until a trail broke off left through a gate. Found the yellow trail shortly and took a left. Now this is a sweet little trail! A bit rocky, but really nice flow. Cleared the first log pile with a newfound ease, and got cocky. The downed tree across the trail a few minutes later kicked me right square in the nuts, and brought me back down to reality. I think I went at it too fast, slammed the ring, and over I went.....hard. Dear readers....icy rocks and roots hurt worse than non-icy rocks and roots. Just FYI.

Ten minutes later my right leg stopped throbbing and I could put weight on it again, so on we go. Got to the rock garden, and Hutch fell. He then proceeded to beat the crap out of a tree with the little stick that ripped his new tights. Whatever works for you, right?

I saw that our unknown cyclist friend had climbed the garden clean. I tried 4 or 5 times, just too slippery for this noob. How did you do that, oh studly one?

From there we headed back to the truck, and I limped my way into the cab. Hutch says, "let's go ride somewhere else." Fine.

After my toes thawed and my right leg had time to really tighten up, we got to Greenbrier. Long story short, we rode Orange to Red (to the right). Planned on shortcutting it, but it was too much fun....and not icy at all! I'm glad to say I completed the entire big climb, after yelling at the mountain a few times for not being smaller. Found Greenbrier to be pretty easy and non-tech, but flowy and fun.

Neither of us had ever been to either place. We were very impressed and will definitely be back down once it warms up.

BTW...I need a 29er. Seriously.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

Bicycle rider
    Nice write-up! See you Saturday at the race… right?

Gambrill is a blast. Give it another shot when it is dry, you will love it.

mtbr member
    And go with someone that knows the trails so you can see how it's ridin...

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'll be there Saturday!

We loved it as is! Well, at least I did. He's not quite as twisted
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

My little friends
    Perhaps the studly one had his tires mounted backwards and went down that rock garden!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker
    Perhaps the studly one had his tires mounted backwards and went down that rock garden!

AHAHAHAHA!! It was you!

Nah, he rode up it. I took notice of all his tracks and that direction is the only one that made sense.

I guess it wasn't all that bad of section, but the snow and ice made it sooooo slippery.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Was it icy like this Wood?

mtbr member
    No sir. Icy like sheet of solid ice, not crumbled ice.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

Members who have read this thread: 0