Logs removed at Patapsco- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Upset Logs removed at Patapsco

Parked at Landing Rd and entered the woods on Morning Choice trail. Made the first left onto Log trail and realized as I approached the water crossing that the two log overs had been removed. At that moment I knew what I would find ahead. Sure enough, every log was removed from the "Log" trail as well as all logs from Log trail to Connector trail on the Lower Patapsco Connector trail.
    Maybe there was a good reason for the removal, but it seems as though many of them had been there for a long time without any issues.
    So much for a technical challenge. Not much different than riding on the sidewalk now.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratefulshane View Post
    Parked at Landing Rd and entered the woods on Morning Choice trail. Made the first left onto Log trail and realized as I approached the water crossing that the two log overs had been removed. At that moment I knew what I would find ahead. Sure enough, every log was removed from the "Log" trail as well as all logs from Log trail to Connector trail on the Lower Patapsco Connector trail.
    Maybe there was a good reason for the removal, but it seems as though many of them had been there for a long time without any issues.
    So much for a technical challenge. Not much different than riding on the sidewalk now.
    You Patapsco people and your damn logs. Come ride the Frederick Watershed to see what a technical trail looks like, log after log after log ain't it.

PS - Sounds like it was the park. Totally within their right and I can understand why they'd do it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I haven't been on the trail yet, but heard about this yesterday. What a shame! I love the challenge of those logs. Easy enough for hikers to step over them. And you're right, they've been there for years without issue. Not sure why they did it. If the rangers wanted to spend effort maintaining the trails, why not spend it on the Grist Mill trail that is still closed a year after the storm?

mtbr member
    I just rode the log trail (barley & hops) a few weeks ago so this must be recent. Can't say in all the years I've ridden it I've ever seen a hiker or horse on it. I will have to check with my PTAP buddies and see what's up.

mtbr member
    Yea PTAP'ers are not happy about it. Evidently DNR was out there with their chainsaws, why, no one seems to know, those logs have been there forever. Sounds like they de-logged Nacho also.
    I am getting increasing frustrated with the park in general. For one-- it's overcrowded, you are constantly stopping or slowing down for hikers etc. The trails are used so much that a lot of them are no longer single track but more like double track. Most of the BaltoCo side is not open after the storms last year and looks like they may not be for quite some time. Then stuff like this happens where they dumb down a nice trail, I don't get it.

mtbr member
    I rode there yesterday; a huge new log fell in the last week, right in the middle of the ones they removed. It's bigger than any of the ones they removed, almost as big around as my wheel - serves those jokers right.
    I had been avoiding that trail since they vandalized it. At least the jumps are still there..

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    One of the MORE liaisons (I think he is anyway) posted a letter from the rangers. It's basically an apology and says that it was a mistake. It happens and I think it's super cool that they acknowledged it. They even talk about training to make sure it doesn't happen again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I rode there yesterday; a huge new log fell in the last week, right in the middle of the ones they removed. It's bigger than any of the ones they removed, almost as big around as my wheel - serves those jokers right.
    I had been avoiding that trail since they vandalized it. At least the jumps are still there..
    How does a log randomly fall into a trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    was that meant to be stupid or pedantic? Hard to tell sometimes.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    some things even science, or the old farmer down the road, cannot determine
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    One of the MORE liaisons (I think he is anyway) posted a letter from the rangers. It's basically an apology and says that it was a mistake. It happens and I think it's super cool that they acknowledged it. They even talk about training to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    I read the letter from Joe the DNR guy admitting they screwed up, at least they were honest about it.
    I rode it last nite. I did see the huge tree that just fell, that one actually needs to be cut. They didn't take out everything, they did leave the smaller logs that are more or less embedded in the ground. it is still pretty neutered now though.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftballGuy View Post
    I read the letter from Joe the DNR guy admitting they screwed up, at least they were honest about it.
    I rode it last nite. I did see the huge tree that just fell, that one actually needs to be cut. They didn't take out everything, they did leave the smaller logs that are more or less embedded in the ground. it is still pretty neutered now though.
    Pissed the old ones got removed, but anxious to see the new one cut out. Sheesh I'm glad I don't do trail work in Patapsco.