LBS needed for 2nd opinion- Mtbr.com
    Big Paws on a Puppy!!

LBS needed for 2nd opinion

I have a Redline Monocog SS that I'd like to have the rear dropouts resized to the MTB standard 135mm from the current 110mm BMX hub size. I talked to a guy at College Park Bikes would refused to do the job. He said that was too big of a jump and that the frame would be misaligned and that would lead to premature bearing wear. Sounds logical but I've seen guys over on the SS board acheive this modification with what they claim to be great success. So.... can any body recommend a shop that might also do frame alignment/cold setting work so I can get a 2nd opinion before I E-bay the bike for a more traditional SS frame? I'm in Ellicott City, MD just a reference point for the area the shop should be near.

Thanks.

Ratman
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

Fat Boy Deluxe
    I'm of no help on a shop that would probably do that for you. But I definitely would go with that second option of yours of selling the bike and getting something more standard. Of course there isn't anything wrong with the 110, your just more limited to what you can get, but theres a ton of great bmx stuff out there.

DT

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman
    I have a Redline Monocog SS that I'd like to have the rear dropouts resized to the MTB standard 135mm from the current 110mm BMX hub size. I talked to a guy at College Park Bikes would refused to do the job. He said that was too big of a jump and that the frame would be misaligned and that would lead to premature bearing wear. Sounds logical but I've seen guys over on the SS board acheive this modification with what they claim to be great success. So.... can any body recommend a shop that might also do frame alignment/cold setting work so I can get a 2nd opinion before I E-bay the bike for a more traditional SS frame? I'm in Ellicott City, MD just a reference point for the area the shop should be near.

Thanks.

Ratman
    Did you already do the math? Cold-setting a frame probably isn't cheap (even if you find someone to do it), and you may not get a lot for the frame since they aren't that expensive in the first place. My suggestion is to sell it as is, and let the buyer know what they are getting, or maybe trying to do it yourself if you are determined to get it to 135. Good luck.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Did you already do the math? Cold-setting a frame probably isn't cheap (even if you find someone to do it), and you may not get a lot for the frame since they aren't that expensive in the first place. My suggestion is to sell it as is, and let the buyer know what they are getting, or maybe trying to do it yourself if you are determined to get it to 135. Good luck.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Thanks for the replies and the link. I decided a few days ago to just keep the Redline with the 110mm spacing and rebuild the rear wheel with the existing hub and a better quality rim. I'm running a older set of Avid mechanicals front and rear so even if I were brave enough to try cold setting the frame myself the chance that I may screw up the disc brake alignment worries me. Plus I really like the bike even though it's basically a "SS on a budget" bike. I will most likely put my barely used (1 road ride) '04 Jekyll 800 up for sale instead......
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

Fahrrad fahren

Worth Doing

I'm not sure why they wouldn't. We're talking the steel version right? Their sister shop (Mt Airy) was willing to respace my 110 spaced Raleigh Twenty to 135, although I decided against for other reasons.

Kent Peterson respaced his:
    http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.as...10507.1844.eml

for this reason:
    http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.as...10507.1887.eml

Doesn't seem to have affected him adversely, but his is not a disc bike.

I'm sure there are tools to check/maintain alignment of both the dropouts and disc tabs.

H
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

Mar 2005
    Can't say I blame the shop. Not much reason to bend a perfectly good frame. It will weaken it. There is actually some really really nice BMX stuff out there. Sounds like you made the right decsion.