LBS in the baltimore area?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2006

LBS in the baltimore area?

Hi I am looking for an entry level FS bike and am new to the baltimore area. The bike I think I have narrowed down my choice is Specialized's FSR xc. The only store I have found that carries the bike is Hudson Trail Outfitters. Got a very smug vibe from Princeton & City Bikes.

My question are there any benefits or better services I might find from one bike store to the next in this region. I can travel down to DC, but would like to stay within reason. Any opinion on HTO's service down the road?
    thanks jeff

another bozo on the bus
    i know college park bikes used to carry specalized, but im not sure about this year. they have really taken care of me in the past. give 'em a call. half way between b-more and dc. i think capitol hill carries them too, but not sure. really good guys over there.

Unit 91
    I am not trying to be offensive or anything but I dont know who you got a bad vibe from about Princeton. We are a cool group of people. We do not stock the FSR XC but I would be glad to order one for you and answer all you questions about getting you into Moutain Biking. I will even ride with you. Come on down to Princeton Sports in Columbia and I will help you out. Other then that, yes HTO does carry them and if you go to the one in the Towson Town Center ask for Kevin the shop guy if he is still working there. Have you considered any other bikes then the Specialized?
    Bikes

Jan 2006

thanks

I went to the Falls Rd. location on a Sunday and maybe everyone else was out riding. The other bike I am looking at, but haven't gotten to ride yet is Trek's Fuel 80. When doing a test ride in a parking lot what should I be looking for? Thanks jeff

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterRelease
    I went to the Falls Rd. location on a Sunday and maybe everyone else was out riding. The other bike I am looking at, but haven't gotten to ride yet is Trek's Fuel 80. When doing a test ride in a parking lot what should I be looking for? Thanks jeff
    I've ridden in Baltimore for years....I can't talk highly enough about Princeton Sports on Falls Rd. Ask for Corey, he's the bike shop manager and has been there for years. Just a great, great all around guy, a good bike rider and bmx rider, etc.

Maybe you just got a young kid or something on the wrong day.

Parking lot test rides suck, especially for full suspension. I think the #1 most important thing to figure out is - does the bike fit you perfectly?

Unit 91
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperClyde
    I've ridden in Baltimore for years....I can't talk highly enough about Princeton Sports on Falls Rd. Ask for Corey, he's the bike shop manager and has been there for years. Just a great, great all around guy, a good bike rider and bmx rider, etc.

Maybe you just got a young kid or something on the wrong day.

Parking lot test rides suck, especially for full suspension. I think the #1 most important thing to figure out is - does the bike fit you perfectly?
    Corey knows his stuff and he is a very down to earth guy. The problem with test riding at bike this time of year is that everything is geared towards ski's and snowboards, so bikes dont get a lot of attention. But I love to talk about bikes if people come in asking. If you are interested, PM me shuttlerealease and I will let you know when I am working, then you can make a trip down to the Columbia store. If you are willing to be open to other offers and bikes, then that would be great. If you give me a price range, we can work with what I have and if we need to special order then we will.

Def. the fit is the #1 thing.
    Bikes

Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet
    Corey knows his stuff and he is a very down to earth guy. The problem with test riding at bike this time of year is that everything is geared towards ski's and snowboards, so bikes dont get a lot of attention. But I love to talk about bikes if people come in asking. If you are interested, PM me shuttlerealease and I will let you know when I am working, then you can make a trip down to the Columbia store. If you are willing to be open to other offers and bikes, then that would be great. If you give me a price range, we can work with what I have and if we need to special order then we will.

Def. the fit is the #1 thing.
    princeton sport is the BEST LBS in this area, i bought my reign 3 from corey, and he gave me such a nice discount, included some freebies as well. i also visited the shop in Columbia, one of the guys was so friendly, leting me ride the bikes around the shop just so i can get a feel. Also, there was a FSR XC Pro at the falls rd shop, it was sized small, which was why i didnt buy it, but the reign was much better anyways.

PS: can i apply for a job at either location? a part time or full time during summer? i need cash to support my bike upgrades.

Unit 91
    Thats awesome. Wow, I had no idea we had an FSR XC at the other store. How are you liking your Reign 3?

Yes you may. Last time I checked laws dont prohibt you to where you can/cant apply.
    Bikes

Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet
    Thats awesome. Wow, I had no idea we had an FSR XC at the other store. How are you liking your Reign 3?

Yes you may. Last time I checked laws dont prohibt you to where you can/cant apply.
    reign 3 rides like champ, but i am thinking of upgrading some parts so i can do a bit of freeriding, its kind of heavy to do only XC.

Unit 91
    Yea, that is understandable, any bike you buy has to be upgraded...well except if you bought an S-Works. Haha. What were you thinking about upgrading?
    Bikes

Dec 2005
    definately a fork, manitou sherman flick plus or rock shox pike, new fork means hubs so i will need 20 mm hubs, and x.9 x0 drive terrain, and maybe better brakes in the future, like 7 inch avid juicy 7s.

Members who have read this thread: 0