and just like that....we're moving....- Mtbr.com
    the unvarnished nonsense

Bonking ... not feelin' well and just like that....we're moving....

Came home yesterday, to the farm we've rented for 7 years and received a call from the owners. Long story short: We have 2 months to relocate. Glad to see the Shuffle activities are now being planned by committee, as I most likely will be a resident of another state when this year's Slatyfork Shuffle goes off. If possible, I will travel back for the friends and festivities.

Feeling like someone pulled the rug out from underneath me, then kicked me when I was down. I'm bracing myself with the thoughts of returning to civilization, where restaurants are plentiful and my neighbors have complete sets of teeth and chromosomes. But, damn, am I gonna miss the mountains, scenery, trails and slopes (and a certain bunch of derelict cyclists that I've come to know and love).

"Everytime that wheel turns 'round
    You're bound to cover just a little more ground..."
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Because I am !
    Dude ! I hate to hear this news. Pocahontas County just won't be the same without davis and family . I sure hope you don't move so far away that we can't share the trails with you Pat. Malibu and I always enjoyed stopping by and seeing you and the family when we were down there.

Do you have any preferences? I'm sure you'll be looking back around Pittsburg but if that
    doesn't pan out let me know. I work with a statewide medical group West Viginia
    Medical Command and they have contact with hospitals throughout the state. Maybe
    someone there can put out some feelers to the hospitals in the area you might plan on
    going. Just say the word.

Sure hope you will be close enough to join us for lots of rides this year. Can't imagine a
    gathering without davis being there. If you don't move across the nation good friend, you
    can count on Malibu and I to give you a hand "Have Pickup Will Travel" !

Say hey to Amy and the little one. Malibu throws a howdy your way also.

ODN and Malibu
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Damn Pat. Sorry to hear that. Kinda unexpected there.

mtbr member
    Stick Roanoke on your short list. Douthat, Carvins, Dragonsback, Pandapas, etc.. are only the tip of the iceberg. Hit me up if you are in the area and my bros and I will show you some secret stash rides that will blow your mind. Good Luck.

Not sure what to type?
    Man I hate to hear that. I'm gonna lose my riding buddy.
    Good thing I just bought my girlfriend a new bike.
    Hope you can make it down for the shuffle and some riding in between.
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

www.justthebonnet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmax
    Stick Roanoke on your short list. Douthat, Carvins, Dragonsback, Pandapas, etc.. are only the tip of the iceberg. Hit me up if you are in the area and my bros and I will show you some secret stash rides that will blow your mind. Good Luck.
    Wow, sorry to hear that. But roanoke would be a good idea, think of all the beer we could drink

Let us know where you end up & always feel free to call if you need any help during the move, I know you're getting up there in years so I could provide some strong muscles for you
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Bummer Davis. Any other options for staying in Marlington area? Or, does this just look like a good time to make a move? Best of luck, whatever you decide on. Sticking another plug in for the Noke - lots of medical stuff in the area employment wise (and it is growing with a new medical college being built). I was thinking the little lady has a background in medicine.

the unvarnished nonsense
    We do like the Roanoke area, but there's a pair of grandparents up in Pennsylvania that are dying to be closer to their only grandchild, so I think its time we head back to Pennsylvania. Maybe there will have to be a Laurel Mountain area Shuffle in the near future (think Seven Springs/Laurel Mountain area, the best riding in PA).

Its exciting, yet sad to start packing (which I'm doing now). Wonder what the new neighbors will think when the see me unloading 12 bicycles for 2 adults. Guess the days of walking outside in the yard and squeezing off a magazine or two are nearly over. And there probably won't be any deer hunting off of the back porch opportunities, either. Oh well.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecklerboy
    Man I hate to hear that. I'm gonna lose my riding buddy.
    Good thing I just bought my girlfriend a new bike.
    Hope you can make it down for the shuffle and some riding in between.

Like the new avatar. I don't think I'll ever forget how painful that day was for me. Or Capt. Phun explaining, "..but we wrote 'burrito' in the gravel and drew an arrow pointing which way to go..." I believe that was the same day that Chili and I came upon the recently flipped over car on Camp 70 Road....."uhm, yeah...we'd like to stay until the first responders arrive, but this keg's getting warm, and uhm....we really should be going before the police get here...Good luck!"

OK, so were not gonna win any Good Samaritan awards....

Not sure what to type?
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    Like the new avatar. I don't think I'll ever forget how painful that day was for me. Or Capt. Phun explaining, "..but we wrote 'burrito' in the gravel and drew an arrow pointing which way to go..." I believe that was the same day that Chili and I came upon the recently flipped over car on Camp 70 Road....."uhm, yeah...we'd like to stay until the first responders arrive, but this keg's getting warm, and uhm....we really should be going before the police get here...Good luck!"

OK, so were not gonna win any Good Samaritan awards....
    No arrow in the road, just the word Burrito.
    Added a few extra miles onto my ride.

You will definetly have to make it back for the Shuffle.
    It just won't be the same without you tripping over every rock and stump in the campsite.

The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

the unvarnished nonsense
    And the winner in the "Worst Photo Ever of a Shuffler" goes to..........

me.

(At least it wasn't the one of me showing the how the locals cross the river at the bottom of the old Prop's Run trail....)

www.justthebonnet.com
    If you act fast I bet you could claim Campsite #6 for your own. Set up a little trailer, open up a still & get to businees. With the economy in the crapper, that is my bailout option, Camp Rd. 70 & assistant burrito maker.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:

spooge is gone!
    That sucks - Hope everything works out for you and the family. You'll still be in charge
    of wing night though.
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Sorry you're having to move. Good luck with the new place Pat.

Jul 2006
    Just saw this.

Sorry to hear about that Davis. But sometimes crap like that happens and it turns out to be for the best when you look back a few years. We had that happen once in Mo-town. Got one month notice to find a new place - Had a husband in grad school, a 7 yr old, a 3 yr old, was 5 months pregnant, and we had non-refundable airplane tickets for one month from then. Talk about stress.

It'll all work out - keep us updated.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by Tass Over Teakettle

It'll all work out - keep us updated.
    Made an offer on a home in Johnstown, PA and it was accepted. Waiting for the agent to fully execute the sales contract with seller, then its mortgage paperwork and inspection time. We expect to close in early April.

www.justthebonnet.com
    So are you going to be organizing the Amish Bonnet Shuffle in PA?
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    So are you going to be organizing the Amish Bonnet Shuffle in PA?
    As Jerry always said, "might as well"! We'll be about 25-30 minutes from Laurel Mt., which I consider to be the best riding in all of PA. More rocky singletrack than you can shake a stick at, and its actually near civilization. Looks like next year's winter pass will be at Blue Knob, Seven Springs, or Hidden Valley instead of Snowshoe. Our new house has over 3100 square feet and rooms aplenty in case anybody has the urge to check out some more northern riding.

mtbr member
    Johnstown? you'll prob have the opertunity to shoot deer then. And you only have one choice of those 3 resorts, seven springs. Ice Knob and hidden Valley aren't worth it, although hidden valley passes work at wisp too, so that sweetens the deal. Sorry to hear about the move, i've always dream't of living close to snowshoe, but work doesn't allow.

mtbr member

Move to Florida

As a very misplaced former shuffler, come on down to Florida, no income taxes, no cold weather, and plenty of scantly clad beach comers. Sounds great, eh!

But,

No mountains, no dirt, no rocks, no climbs, no downhills. the high point of the state is 345' above sea level.

There are some great trails down here, Santos, San Felasco, Markham, Boyette, Alafia, to name a few, some offering hours of singletrack. I could use a riding buddy who actually likes to ride. Right now the group I ride with can't quite get the concept of only 4 people going for a ride. Whenever you raise the invitation it gets extended and 20+ show up, ride 15 minutes wait 10, ride 15 minutes wait 10, etc. Social time is great just not at every intersection.

Enjoy life back in the big city! If you come to the Sunshine State for vacation hit me up, my job would allow me to almost drive across the state for a ride with an old bud.

Happy trails,
    dadembk

Because I am !
    Made an offer on a home in Johnstown, PA and it was accepted. Waiting for the agent to fully execute the sales contract with seller, then its mortgage paperwork and inspection time. We expect to close in early April.
    Dude, I've been to Johnstown a few times. That's still within 2 1/2 hrs of Davis, WV and within 1 1/2 hrs of Big Bear, Coopers Rock and Quebec Run area. Sure hope you can find time to ride with this fat old man again. I'd also like to try this Laurel Mtn you mention.

As the Capt mentioned, we'll definately have to have a mini-shuffle in Davis again this year. I know sooo many trails there now. Weather's getting better, hope to ride with everyone soon.

ODN

(Edit) whoops fixed a typo.
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    Dude, I hate to hear you are moving. I am n utah snowboarding and that alomst bummed me out but not really. Let me know if you need help moving and I will adjust my schedule to be busy. Should be at the shoe this weekend doing a pig roast slopeside.

Real reason you are moving up there is to be with all your "Salsa" buddies. Kicking us rednecks to the curb. Recent analysis I heard about PA. You got Phily on one side Pitt on the other and Alabama in the middle. You'll fit in just fine. I call on Cumberland, MD so we'll have ti get some rides in up there.
    Can you hook that up to your car?.......

Jul 2006
    Johnstown's not bad. I spent 4 years in college there at UPJ, and my ex's family has lived there all their lives. We lived there for 3 years before moving to Mo-town. Good hospitals and all for your wife, too.

Davis would be do-able for ya still.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by whit022000
    D I am n utah snowboarding and that alomst bummed me out but not really.

I didn't realize that Utah let people with such limited skills ride there. Who knew? Good place to find a wife (or two, or three) though.

Sorry I'll miss the big Subie Swine-fest.

My goodness....its noon on St. Patrick's Day and I'm sober. I MUST be getting old.

Members who have read this thread: 0