Iron Ore Trail / Hoop Hole Solo Ride- Mtbr.com
    CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Iron Ore Trail / Hoop Hole Solo Ride

Close to home, and one of my favorite areas is the Hoop Hole / Roaring Run trail system. The area is better known for hiking trails than biking areas. Roaring Run Falls and the lower Hoop Hole loop are the most well know hikes.

The ride I like combines the Iron Ore Trail, the lower part of the upper Hoop Hole loop (right side), the upper part of the lower Hoop Hole loop (left side) and the hardtop that connects the two systems.

I usually ride the other direction to get the killer down hill on the Iron Ore Trail.
    This time I rode up the Iron Ore Trail. The advantage of that direction is that after the climb the rest of the ride is either downhill or mostly downhill.

This route starts at Roaring Run Trailhead. Turn left at the outhouse (sound Appalachian enough for you). The Iron Ore trailhead is starts there

The climb is about 2 ½ miles, 1200 or so feet, and is mostly rideable along an old wagon trail used to haul iron ore or wood for charcoal. Most of this trail is wider than the average singletrack.

After a mile and a half or so of climbing, there is about a half mile of technical stuff that’s pretty cool (much better coming down).

Then it levels out a bit and contours around the hillside.

After 2 ½ mile you connect with the upper loop of the Hoop Hole Trail. If you take a right here there is another 1000 foot brutal climb. Funny, they took the trail to within a couple hundred feet of the top of Rich Patch mountain and then veered off and back down. What a shame – its beautiful on top with cliffs and great views but you have to do a tough bushwack to get there. I digress, this ride route goes left and down.

The trail becomes incredibly narrow and is a challenge to navigate. Some rocky technical stuff is dispersed throughout. This is a remote area that few people visit.

After several miles of tough downhill, you connect with the lower part of the Hoop Hole Trail. Take a right here. If you go left it will take you out through Stoney Run – mostly hike a bike trail (beautiful though). The trail get wider here and is much used by hikers.

After a mile or so, you come out on Hipes Branch. Beautiful area with some hike – a bike stretches where you cross the stream.

At the end, you come out at the Hoop Hole Trailhead on Route 615, Craigs Creek Road. To do it as a loop, you ride back to the left on Craigs Creek Road for 4 miles or so, turn left at Roaring Run Store and back to the parking lot at Roaring Run Falls. You can also park at the store for a $3 fee.

Map of this route:

www.justthebonnet.com
    Cool. What county is this? Parking area location???
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

dirt rider
    Looks like a great ride.

Do you do most of these rides solo?

the unvarnished nonsense
    Looks like a neat ride, CCR. Thanks for taking the time to share the pics!
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Capt. This area is in Botetourt County right on the Alleghany County line. Covington is not too far to the north.

If you were going to Douthat on Rt 220 North from Roanoke, turn left on Rt 615 just past Eagle Rock where the road goes from 4 lanes to 2 lanes. Go about 5 miles and Roaring Run Store in on the right. For Roaring Run trailhead, take Rt 621 from the Store for a mile and it is on your left. The Hoop Hole Trailhead is maybe 4 miles further up Rt 615 on the right past the store. 615 comes out in New Castle if you follow it all the way through.

Sciron - I ride solo more times than not, mostly out of habit and being too lazy to arrange to meet people. Started riding solo back in the National Forest behind my house. Old habits die hard. When I ride these hairier rides I always let my girlfriend know where I am going (where to look for the body). Probably best to ride with a partner, but a lot of my rides are spontaneous and when the opportunity arises I go .

Go make a difference
    Looks like great stuff but please be sure you're not poaching trails that we're not supposed to ride on. Doing that and then going public with the ride results doesn't help us (mtn bikers) with access issues. If biking is allowed, then awesome! We have some great NF land in north GA that we ride but not everything is open to bikes so we have to be careful.

Thanks for posting that up! I'm looking for some riding in south central VA near Kerr Lake if you know of anything. Looks like I'll be making some visits up that way for the next couple of years.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    Looks like great stuff but please be sure you're not poaching trails that we're not supposed to ride on. Doing that and then going public with the ride results doesn't help us (mtn bikers) with access issues. If biking is allowed, then awesome! We have some great NF land in north GA that we ride but not everything is open to bikes so we have to be careful.

Thanks for posting that up! I'm looking for some riding in south central VA near Kerr Lake if you know of anything. Looks like I'll be making some visits up that way for the next couple of years.

As far as I know, these trails are open to bikes. There is nothing posted in the area anywhere stating otherwise. It is a roadless area , i.e., potential wilderness so that could all change at somepoint. The Jefferson National Forest is typically pretty liberal about allowing mountain biking access. I think the pain and misery quotient of riding these trails keeps most people out. The Roaring Run Falls trail is not really suitable for riding, so I wouldn't advise that even though its not specifically prohibited.

Because I am !
    CCR, looks like that was a fun time. That looks like my kind of trail. Wish it
    wasn't so darn far away from me. I just need to plan to take a good week off
    next year and head down your's and Captain's way to get in some different riding.
    If I can just pry myself away from all this stuff here in WV....

Great pics by the way....

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Odn

Hard to do it all, isn't it ODN. I have the same problem. Would like to visit Davis and Slatyfork more, but if you have good stuff closer to home - I'd rather be riding than driving. A lot of the stuff I ride is definitely Slatyfork Shuffle Crew type of trails - minus the mud. Not quite as rocky, but maybe a little more steep. Its all good. Come on down when you can. Is that a new Avatar?

song of the saw-whet owl
    looks like some awesome riding down thar!
    yeah, as long as its not designated wilderness area, or specifically says its prohibited for some odd reason, all national forest land is open to bikes.
    just another piece of chaga

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider
    Hard to do it all, isn't it ODN.
    Yes it is, however it sure is fun trying

Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider
    Is that a new Avatar?
    And, yes it is. Courtesy of Oldnoob's picture from our last ride in Davis.
    Just finished touching it up tonight......

Ride till the snow's too deep !

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

Members who have read this thread: 0