Info for my nephew - where to ride near Arnold, MD- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New question here. Info for my nephew - where to ride near Arnold, MD

Hello East Coasters -

My 16-yo nephew from Arnold, MD (near Annapolis) comes out to visit me in Idaho once or twice a year. Whenever he's here he loves to grab one of my old bikes and ride. He claims that there's nowhere to ride near him. I've heard great things about Patapsco Valley State Park. Using the trail review section and the search tool I've also found mention of Gambrill (probabaly too technical for him), and some trails near Arundel and Annapolis High Schools. Are the Annapolis High trails still maintained? One thread mentioned that they might be abandoned.

Are there any other areas near Arnold/Annapolis that would be good for a beginner? Are there any good shops or young rider clubs in the area that he might be able to hook up with?

Any info would be appreciated!

HH

I am the owl
    The Arundel trail system was always small and not well maintained from what I recall, but the closest to where you are probably. Rosaryville State Park should be a reasonable drive and it's a roller coaster of smooth trails and well marked - it's probably the best bet for a newer rider. Patapsco is great stuff but more challenging, order a map if you can from the DNR web site so you can maximize your fun. Gambrill is technical but well marked, depends on the kid's skills, but lots of 16 year olds have what it takes or will give it a go.

Check www.more-mtb.org for trail descriptions and directions to all of the above.

Cool to hear that he is digging the trails. I bet there's some stuff in Iowa depending on where he is, maybe just need to do some digging for info.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Rosaryville State Park in Upper Marlboro would be about 30 mins. away and the best choice for him. Well marked trails, beginner friendly, tons of fun.

Annapolis HS: 15 mins. from Arnold. Small trail system used by runners alot. Just go behind the football field scoreboard to the practice fields. From there you will see a sign for a 1 mile running loop and arrows marking it. Follow the arrows, but venture off the beaten path and explore the singletrack. Some of it is pretty challenging. It's hit or miss, depending on what he finds back there.

I'd send him to Rosaryville.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Check www.more-mtb.org for trail descriptions and directions to all of the above.

Cool to hear that he is digging the trails. I bet there's some stuff in Iowa ...
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroG
    Rosaryville State Park in Upper Marlboro would be about 30 mins. away and the best choice for him. Well marked trails, beginner friendly, tons of fun.

Annapolis HS: 15 mins. from Arnold.
    Thanks, riderx and RetroG ("G" as in grouch?) for the info! I'll send this along to my nephew. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but I really appreciate the help.

riderx, I've gotta chuckle about the Iowa comment. I actually live in Idaho. No one ever gets the two states straight, though. A local journalist even wrote a book called "Is Idaho in Iowa?". Shoot me note if you're ever out this way - I can show you some unbelievable trails!

Thanks again! Whenever my nephew comes to visit me he's really active, but when he goes back home he settles back into the couch-and-video-game routine. This just might help him break that habit!

HH

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    send him to Rosaryville
    It is fast rolling single track. great stuff for beginers and the xc speed freaks. When he goes to the park. have him ride like he is leaving the parking lot and the trail will be directly ahead of him. The first section has alots of up and down hill but then the trail will become flatter as he goes around the loop.

Members who have read this thread: 0