IMBA Trail School Visit to Carvin's Cove- Mtbr.com
    CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

IMBA Trail School Visit to Carvin's Cove

We had a great crew for yesterdays IMBA trail workshop. I believe the number was 56. Half a day was in the class room, half a day building trail. I found the slide show most informative. After the class and lunch, we all headed to Carvinís Cove for some hands on trail building. The new section will extend from 4 Gorges to somewhere near the top of Comet.

The Crew

Virgin Hillside

After several hours of hard work. I had forgotten how hard it is.

Kapusta and his demon root

The walk out, done for the day

Matt and his crew serving up some berm

Big daddy black snake wondering why all these people are suddenly in his neighborhood

Bill, builder of so many trails in the Roanoke area with the Mid-Week trail crew. He is an inspiration to do what he does at his age and always come back for more.

East Coasters feeding the crew

Good day, met several MTBR folks for the first time. I look forward to riding some new trails over there in the future.

mtbr member
    Ran into Brian in the parking lot today. He was so thrilled with the turnout for the trail building day. He said 56 or 59 people came, I can't remember now. I hate that I couldn't join in the work! He was thankful to see new faces as well and wondered how many were there because of the posts on here. I hope several! I promised him that I would try my best to get out there to help. (I'm usually covered up with stuff because of Grad School work).

Thanks for posting the pictures!!! You are an awesome ambassador for our trails as well.

Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    UUUUUGH, THAT ROOT!! I must have spent 2 hours on that! I am really sore today.

I am so stoked about this. Steve and Morgan (the IMBA crew) have been doing these trail clinic/work days for about a year and a half, and apparently this was the biggest turnout they have had (56 people). The next biggest was Portland, OR (a city with a huge biking culture) with 45.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Thanks BikerJen, I'm blushing. I had not heard of this until you posted the notice, so thanks too for that.

Kapusta, thinking there ought to be a power tool for that - backpack ditch witch or something.
    It was nice to see so many people there interested in trails and trailwork. Mostly mountain bikers there, but there were some trail runners, hikers, and horse folks there too. There were some there that traveled in for the training, but I think most were from somewhere in western VA.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider
    Kapusta, thinking there ought to be a power tool for that - backpack ditch witch or something.
    I think it is called a chainsaw.

In retrospect, I think we could have gone over it. Next time I will look into that more seriously. It is a beautiful big tree, and I am a little worried that the root I cut out was important for it to cling to that hillside.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Apr 2011
    Thanks for posting the pics up. I should have brought my camera too...and my gloves. Forgot both in the truck down at the parking lot.

Was good to meet the handful of people I did. That section we worked on should be really fun.
    Skin that flick, she's such a little DJ.

Members who have read this thread: 0