I'm in pain, so I must have gained (SMT 100)- Mtbr.com
    I live to bike

I'm in pain, so I must have gained (SMT 100)

exactly what I gained may be debatable. I sure didn't gain any prizes or awards. But I did gain some personal pride and adoration from my family. A 13.5 hour grueling ride on my rigid 29er SS, whew!

The Shenandoah 100 was an awesome ride yesterday. The weather was perfect, the scenery beatuiful, the volunteers friendly and oh so very helpful, the family was encouraging, the bike working. An excellent mix of singletrack and fireroad with a little bit of road mixed in made for a varied terrain that challenged you every pedal stroke of the way.

My goal was to finish under 14 hours, which I managed to do. The first 57 miles (up to aid station 4) were great; I would not necessarily say it was a breeze, but I didn't have any trouble managing them. A couple hike-a-bike sections (for me, anway), but overall, I was able to make good time, riding at a rate that would easily put me under 13 hours. I would pass a bunch of squished gearies up the hills, then they would bomb past me on the descents. (Not that I was even worried about how I did in comparison to others, but it was interesting to see).

Miles 57-88 were killer, and I almost thought I wouldn't reach my goal. 57-81/82 were all uphill, at first gradual, but then got fairly steep with very little respite. Then from 82-88 was mostly down, but it was down some pretty gnarly, rocky singletrack. Which wouldn't have been bad, but my arms, back, and hands were getting worn out on the rigid bike. I was having a hard time holding on to the handlebars and squeezing the brake levers. At points, I was going down slower than I had gone up!

I managed to roll into aid station 6 before 7:00, feeling pretty beat. I wasn't sure if my arms and hands could hold on well enough to finish the ride, but I figured, if it got tough, I would just walk the bike, even if it meant a 15 hour finish. I was going to finish no matter what! Luckily, the last 10 miles were pretty mellow. A decent road and fireroad climb followed by a singletrack descent. I realized up the climb that if I stayed on the bike and didn't walk, I could still have a chance to meet my 14 hour goal. So I huffed and puffed and worked my way up the climb walking as little as possible. I was a little worried about the descent because I was told it was "somewhat technical" and I wasn't sure my hands were up to anything remotely technical. Thankfully, the descent was not bad. Only a few technical spots, and so was actually quite enjoyable! It was just starting to get dark, but I managed to make it to the finish without the need for lights, crossing the line about 20 minutes shy of the 14 hour mark.

Anyway, it was a great ride. But if I do it again, I am definitely not going to be on a rigid bike. I will put a squishy fork on it; it justs hurts too much from not having any suspension!

Thanks to Shenandoah Mountain Touring for putting up a great race, thanks to all the volunteers who filled our camelbaks and gave us food and cheered us on, thanks to my family for all the morale support!

Feb 2006
    13:30 huh? We must have been riding together a bunch. I came in at 13:25. Were you on the Orange Niner or the SE by chance? I was rolling the Blue Salsa. Great 29er showing this weekend!

I'm definitely hurting today as well. My ass is toast! What a gorgeous day. Weather couldn't have been any better.

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    13:30 huh? We must have been riding together a bunch. I came in at 13:25. Were you on the Orange Niner or the SE by chance? I was rolling the Blue Salsa. Great 29er showing this weekend!

I'm definitely hurting today as well. My ass is toast! What a gorgeous day. Weather couldn't have been any better.
    I was on the Brown Karate Monkey. Pretty sure I was talking to you on the way up Hankey Mountain, and you mentioned the second half of the descent would be awesome on the rigid. 'Course you didn't mention that I might die on the upper half getting to the lower half! And we passed back and forth a couple times after that.

Maybe it's strange, but the only part of my body that doesn't hurt is my butt, but I guess I didn't do much sitting on the SS.

I live to bike
    Hey, what did others get for elevation gain on their GPS? My GPS showed just about exactly 12,000 ft. But when I download the track to motionbased or to topofusion, it shows 13,477 on motionbased and 13,600 on topo fusion. I don't really understand why it shows differently than what was saved on the GPS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I got 11,650 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    Hey, what did others get for elevation gain on their GPS? My GPS showed just about exactly 12,000 ft. But when I download the track to motionbased or to topofusion, it shows 13,477 on motionbased and 13,600 on topo fusion. I don't really understand why it shows differently than what was saved on the GPS.

That was the barometric altimeter on my Edge 305. When I uploaded it to motionbased it said 17K+!!! I think the uploaded tracks use the topo lines to "measure" elevation gain. So it tracks every little bump. Plus, I'd guess the inherent inaccuracy of the GPS would lead to to false numbers when you're winding through hilly areas.

BTW, I think I saw you out there on your KM. I have a rigid KM and I was thinking how brutal it would be do the SM100 on it. It ain't smooth

Dave

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    I was on the Brown Karate Monkey. Pretty sure I was talking to you on the way up Hankey Mountain, and you mentioned the second half of the descent would be awesome on the rigid. 'Course you didn't mention that I might die on the upper half getting to the lower half! And we passed back and forth a couple times after that.

Maybe it's strange, but the only part of my body that doesn't hurt is my butt, but I guess I didn't do much sitting on the SS.
    Yup, I definitely remember talking with you and yo-yo'ing there much of the day. I figured it was better to leave out the bit about upper Dowell's descent after climbing Hankey as to not discourage anyone too much. How did you like that bottom half? Typically it is not so bad overall, but it was quite rutted out yesterday.

By the time little bald descent came along, my strength didn't keep me up off the seat enough when it should have.

glad to be drinking out of that pint glass

Feb 2006
    My Edge 305 died about halfway down Little Bald, but I know it was up around 11,000 at that point.

I live to bike
    Yup, I definitely remember talking with you and yo-yo'ing there much of the day. I figured it was better to leave out the bit about upper Dowell's descent after climbing Hankey as to not discourage anyone too much. How did you like that bottom half? Typically it is not so bad overall, but it was quite rutted out yesterday.

By the time little bald descent came along, my strength didn't keep me up off the seat enough when it should have.

glad to be drinking out of that pint glass
    You were definitely right about the bottom half -- it was a blast! But that upper section was ROUGH! I had to walk part of it. But once it opened up and smoothed out it was a ton of fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Huh

My Edge 305 died about halfway down Little Bald, but I know it was up around 11,000 at that point.
    I finished in 12:30, and I kept it on for 30 minutes or so afterwards and it still showed 1 bar. I guess I got one of the good ones

veinte nueve pulgadas
    my forerunner lasted me till i finished @ 11:38. it had been saying low battery for 1:45 or so. i got lucky. without the barometric altimeter, the elevation data is crap, but MB Gravity adjusted it to an awfully high 17k.

a fine day is was. nice work Rich.

http://k29er.blogspot.com/

Feb 2006
    Thanks Kevin, and congrats on the nice SS finish!

I wanted to come down to the cambc corral to hang for a bit, but after shoveling my face full of baked beans, scud fries, hot dog and burger... and, uh, a couple of beers, I was shot and crashed immediately there after.

Edit* Too funny K, I just read your blog. We had the exact same meal at crack'ho barrel, except I went for the sweet tea. That was a damn good meal to come back to.

Members who have read this thread: 0