I'm back in the saddle again !- Mtbr.com
    Because I am !

I'm back in the saddle again !

What a great feeling ! Back on the bike after 5 1/2 weeks of healing the grade 3
    separated shoulder and fractured collar bone. The doctor wanted me to stay off
    it for another couple weeks but I couldn't stand it any longer. The weather was just
    great and with the trees all changing in our area I had to get on the trails. I originally
    was going to just get warmed back up on the rail trail but the thought of riding some
    sweet singletrack this time of year was just too overwhelming. My son and I headed
    for Mountwood Park.

Couple shots from the parking lot.

I was going to ride a couple of the easier trails with few to no log overs, rocky sections,
    steep climbs or downhills. Well, by the time I got to the park it had eaten at me long
    enough. I knew I had to ride that same trail that put me in this shape in the first place.
    I had to make sure I wouldn't chicken out when I got to the dreaded drop.

The climbs weren't as hard on my shoulder as I had thought. Here we are making our
    way up Copperhead trail, headed for Trip to the Moon.

The first log over was a bit painful so I changed my approach on the next ones. That
    seemed to help a bunch. However, I found out quickly that the bunny hope was out
    of the question for a while. While flying down the plateau on Copperhead I got so
    caught up in the ride I forgot about the shoulder for a moment and leaped over about
    a four inch log at speed. Wow, that hurt ! Don't do that again.

Here is Scott24 and I along Trip to the Moon trail.

We climbed Savanna, rode across the Moon and started down the other side of
    Trip to the Moon toward Apollo 13 trail. (Location of the drop I crashed on last month).
    I didn't know how I would feel about going down this extremely rocky section of trail
    nor what I would do when I got the that drop. I did feel a bit nervous when I started
    down the rocky section. I went a lot slower than I usually do ( shoulder was beginning
    to ache a bit ) and the moment of truth came as I approached the drop. I chose to go
    off a little to the right instead off the middle ( Still a sketchy line ) and rode over and
    let it go. It was like a weight had been lifted off my sore shoulder. I did it and it didn't
    bother me as bad as I had thought. The rest of the ride was even better than the first
    because the fear of that hill was now gone again.

What a beautiful day to be riding with my son and enjoying the fall colors and the smell
    of the fall woods again. Here are some more shots along the rest of our ride.

It was so awesome I forgot about the shoulder again and hopped another log. Not
    good, that hurt and by the time we got to the valley I decided that was enough for
    the first time out. So we took the road back to the truck. Short but very sweet ride.
    It's great to be back in the saddle again as the song goes.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Welcome back ODN. Good to see those action photos again. Just don't try to take pictures 1- handed while riding. Slow and easy for a while.

mtbr member
    Welcome back on 2 wheels! I hope this means I can look forward to more of your awesome ride reports before the snow flies. Ride on.

Repo

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Where is this at? Don't recognize any trail names. Congrats getting back on & riding the "culprit" section of trail.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Where to start?

Jealousy? You suck.

Concern for friend? Don't be stupid and reinjure that shoulder! You could do permanent damage because you couldn't wait a few more weeks.

Happiness for recovering friend? Nice pics, ODN!

Yeah, I'm sticking with jealousy. You suck.

Had my first post-op follow up today. 3 more weeks in sling. 3 more weeks until I can drive. 8 weeks of rehab. No snowboarding this year, period (they were very adamant about this one, probably because I asked the question about 10 different ways).

Glad to see someone having fun. Tell Malibu I said hey.

"Lefty"
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

down and out...

davis what happened? bike crash? i wrecked 7 weeks ago and broke both my wrists and my, collarbone, seperated shoulder, and recieved a nasty concusion. must be the season of bad luck. hiking is boring and trainers suck. stay positive. a positive attitude leads quicker healing.

http://ridealotwv.blogspot.com/

peace. joey.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Hey Joey-

Just recently heard about your crash and the carnage caused. Saw your pic on iplayoutside and was glad to see that you were still smilng! Hope your recovery is quick and complete. I had to have surgery to repair my right rotator cuff. Two torn tendons, two torn muscles, removal of some arthritic bone spurs and grinding off of the end of the collar bone. I was originally misdiagnosed as a grade 1 AC seperation, so the surgery was put off for a more convenient time. When the time came, I was given the correct diagnosis from another doc. Are you at the shop at all during your recovery? Hope al is well for you and the mrs.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

work?

Quote Originally Posted by davis
    Hey Joey-

Just recently heard about your crash and the carnage caused. Saw your pic on iplayoutside and was glad to see that you were still smilng! Hope your recovery is quick and complete. I had to have surgery to repair my right rotator cuff. Two torn tendons, two torn muscles, removal of some arthritic bone spurs and grinding off of the end of the collar bone. I was originally misdiagnosed as a grade 1 AC seperation, so the surgery was put off for a more convenient time. When the time came, I was given the correct diagnosis from another doc. Are you at the shop at all during your recovery? Hope al is well for you and the mrs.
    my grandma just had that surgery. how old are you? just kidding. i have been at work a bit but not really "working" at least not getting paid for it. mandi has been holding down the fort and bringing home the (veggy) bacon. she can work on bikes but dosen't like it. i have been walking alot and running a bit. do not ever endo at 35mph and land on your head!

http://ridealotwv.blogspot.com/

joey.

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by casey441
    Where is this at? Don't recognize any trail names. Congrats getting back on & riding the "culprit" section of trail.
    casey441, these trails are at Mountwood Park, located just off U.S. Rt.50, 15 miles east
    of Parkersburg, WV. Our local trails. Our Mountain Bike Club, the RVMBA ( River
    Valley Mountain Bike Association ) has built most of the trails and maintains them.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome back on two wheels. It's been very difficult to
    stay off the this long, however it's also difficult to get back on it. Still going to be tough
    to get back in shape with the weather turning bad now. Definately don't want to crash
    again for a while longer so I'll have to be extremely careful. Hope to get out a few more
    times before it gets too bad.

ODN

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by joeywv
    my grandma just had that surgery. how old are you?
    joey.
    joey, he's getting up there. We may have to get him into assisted living by the
    time that new little one of his is out of diapers .

joey, glad to see you healing up. Heard about your mishap just after I got busted
    up. Hiking does suck, however I got all the trails at Mountwood GPS'ed and new
    maps made while I was off the bike. Keep healing and hope it goes quickly.

ODN

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Glad to see you're back at it again!

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoornut
    joey, he's getting up there. We may have to get him into assisted living by the
    time that new little one of his is out of diapers .
    Think it's going to get a bit confusing around there with two different sizes of diapers? Of course one box will say Pampers and the other will say Depends.

ODN, glad to see you back on the bike. Once I am able to get back on mine maybe we can get together. It's been about 2 1/2 weeks since I've ridden.

Joey, hope you are able to get back to your version of "normal" as soon as possible. Same goes for you Davis.
    Don't bring me down..........

Jul 2006
    Hey ODN - Glad to hear you are back at it.

Of course, there goes my plan for riding with someone actually at *my* level for a change

Just be careful and don't reinjure cuz you're being a cowboy

Davis,
    Hang in there dude. Make sure your Physical Therapist includes diaper-changing in your OT rehab.

Members who have read this thread: 0