hunting season warning for Frederick water shed users- Mtbr.com
    bikeboatbrewski

hunting season warning for Frederick water shed users

While standing by my car in the parking area near Whiskey springs several gun shots flew through the trees just feet behind me today. I was getting ready to change into riding attire but threw everything back in my car and heading back up the road(Gambrill park rd). About 100 yds from where I had been two kids come out of the woods one holding a 22 rife and flung it in the back of a Jeep Cherokee.

Long story short I pulled over and read them the riot act for irresponsible hunting. It may be squirrel season but not knowing where you are shooting is ****ed up. I am a hunter too and would never do this.

Be careful out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I keep NRP's phone number on me for things like that. What day was it?

bikeboatbrewski
    Monday about 1530 hrs.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    I heard those shots, I was riding out Skink at the time. Thanks for the heads up, for safety I'm going to limit my weekday riding to Gambrill.

bikeboatbrewski
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6
    I heard those shots, I was riding out Skink at the time. Thanks for the heads up, for safety I'm going to limit my weekday riding to Gambrill.
    s

Saw a truck at the Sand Flats PL. I was gonna get a quick ride on Salamander and Skinks, after the close call I figured there is always Sunday. Good thing I did not park where I usually do, would have been bad.

mtbr member
    Do you guys usually ride in the 'shed during bow season? I was looking to be in western MD over Thanksgiving. Looks like firearms season starts that Saturday so I'd definitely avoid that, and I'll be leaving Sat or Sun.

So is the 'shed/Greenbriar safe on Thanksgiving and/or day after?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    Do you guys usually ride in the 'shed during bow season? I was looking to be in western MD over Thanksgiving. Looks like firearms season starts that Saturday so I'd definitely avoid that, and I'll be leaving Sat or Sun.

So is the 'shed/Greenbriar safe on Thanksgiving and/or day after?
    I would stay away from the watershed on Turkey Day and Black Friday. Basically any day but Sunday during firearms season. Greenbrier has a well-defined hunting zone but if you want to keep out of the zone that takes out more than half the trails. Gambrill is a good choice, no hunting allowed there.

I agree with the viewpoint that we can ride year-round but hunters only have a few weeks. Let them have their fun and ride Sundays in the shed, elsewhere on other days.

mtbr member
    OK, I thought Thanksgiving/Black Friday were still just bow season, not firearms, I must have read the chart wrong.

bikeboatbrewski
    Rode the shed on Sunday 10-31, a no hunting day, on our ride through Knuckle Buster we found where someone had strung up a fishermans gill net(nearly invisible monofiliment) between two trees. If you have ever been cut by monofiliment you what it can do.

1 410 260-8888 is the MD DNR number to report this activity to the land manager.

SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE! The more people that call and complain to the DNR they will have to do something, ie step up patrols in the area at least.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottybinwv
    Rode the shed on Sunday 10-31, a no hunting day, on our ride through Knuckle Buster we found where someone had strung up a fishermans gill net(nearly invisible monofiliment) between two trees. If you have ever been cut by monofiliment you what it can do.
    1 410 260-8888 is the MD DNR number to report this activity to the land manager.
    Saw that yesterday as well, once again thanks for the head's up!

mtbr member
    strung up a fishermans gill net(nearly invisible monofiliment) between two trees.
    What is the point of this? Is this just the fu*k with mountain bikers or something legitimate?

mtbr member
    Ok, bumping this since I read on MORE people saying that bow hunting season is NOT an issue for riders, and riders are not an issue to bow hunters, but it is modern firearms that is the real issue. From what I can tell, this is bow season until Friday, then Saturday starts firearms. I was looking at riding this Weds or Fri depending on weather. Let me know if I'm wrong on when the rifle season starts or about bow hunting in general. Thanks.

My little friends
    Firearm season is Nov 27-Dec 11, excluding Sunday. Bow season is until the end of January, but you don't need to concern yourself with that. Gambrill is off limits to hunting within the park, but wear bright colors if you choose to ride there just in case.

I bowhunt right off the Volkswagon trail; I have waved to dozens of bikers who have never seen me!

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker
    I bowhunt right off the Volkswagon trail; I have waved to dozens of bikers who have never seen me!
    Tree stand or on the ground ? Either way I'll be sure to wave the next time I take that trail

My little friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6
    Tree stand or on the ground ? Either way I'll be sure to wave the next time I take that trail
    Up in a tree on the level section before the drop down to the creek!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    As a hunter, I registered on here simply because I am bewildered that people have no idea what the hunting seasons are, yet trek off into the woods anyway. I was out during rifle season this year near an offshoot of the AT (not on it, and well within my right spot to hunt) and along come two hikers and their dog, blissfully unaware it was deer season and they were in public hunting land. Not a stitch of orange....and after talking with them, they just didn't get it that they could be standing in the line of the hunter and deer and we would not (or could not-depending on how thick things were) know it. Idiots.

You should realize that there is not only rifle season, but muzzle-loader season as well. Not all of us are dip$hit redneck hunters that don't hunt safely and don't shoot if we can't tell what it is, but if you're out there now and not wearing orange, you're a complete idiot...now through January 8th. If you're not visible, we won't know you're there....wear something orange, even if it's just a couple of patches or a hat. We will see you if you do that.

If you're completely unaware, just google Maryland Hunting Seasons or go to the DNR web site. I found you...now you can go find us. Generally speaking, 2nd or 3rd week of October through January's first weekend, wear some orange if you're on land that's open to hunters.
    Last edited by JFWilder2; 12-13-2010 at 11:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    Ok, bumping this since I read on MORE people saying that bow hunting season is NOT an issue for riders, and riders are not an issue to bow hunters, but it is modern firearms that is the real issue. From what I can tell, this is bow season until Friday, then Saturday starts firearms. I was looking at riding this Weds or Fri depending on weather. Let me know if I'm wrong on when the rifle season starts or about bow hunting in general. Thanks.
    Ok...the "from what I can tell" thing really bothers me. You people on this site are smart enough to be on an internet forum and posting and find obtuse trails to the middle of nowhere, yet you can't simply GOOGLE the info on the hunting seasons? Here - I'll do what Gen-X and Gen Y simply have no apparent ability to do...THINK...RESEARCH BEYOND THE OBVIOUS...here is what you need:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/allspecies.asp

Oh...and we're in Region B here near Frederick. They are WHITE TAIL deer (not Sika)...and they are brown, furry, and rather timid most times. Some have antlers...some don't. We hunters (or what many of you refer to as FREDNECKS)..we wear orange...see...that's that bright color out there you don't normally see in fall unless you're staring into the evening sun. Of course your mothers all told you not to stare into the sun, but somehow I don't think all of you got that message. So..I'll hold your hand and tell you what your moms didn't...don't look into the sun, stupid, or you'll fry your eyeballs .

Cripes...what next?! I also found a complete "Shed" topographic map

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/...tershedmap.pdf

since it seems a lot of you can't find that either .

Sorry...but the more I read posts in this topic, the more I can picture some REI-clad geek on a bike that's never shot a BB-gun or done anything other than blog online. OK Ralphy...go ahead...you won't shoot your eye out.
    Last edited by JFWilder2; 12-13-2010 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    While standing by my car in the parking area near Whiskey springs several gun shots flew through the trees just feet behind me today. I was getting ready to change into riding attire but threw everything back in my car and heading back up the road(Gambrill park rd). About 100 yds from where I had been two kids come out of the woods one holding a 22 rife and flung it in the back of a Jeep Cherokee.

Long story short I pulled over and read them the riot act for irresponsible hunting. It may be squirrel season but not knowing where you are shooting is ****ed up. I am a hunter too and would never do this.

Be careful out there.
    Yeah...I would say those guys were morons...should have taken their plate # and turned it in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I ride their every Saturday morning and run my dogs in the afternoon. Its not just public hunting land its open to all at all times.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinbill
    I ride their every Saturday morning and run my dogs in the afternoon. Its not just public hunting land its open to all at all times.
    I don't disagree that it's used for many purposes, but being aware that it's multi-use and a FOREST with DEER and also PUBLIC HUNTING land...common sense (there's that phrase again) dictates that you should be aware of what is going on aside from your own interest in that area and do the appropriate thing. 99.99% of hunters are safe and won't shoot if feel their bullet will carry somewhere dangerous if they miss.

If you're out there and NOT wearing orange in hunting season, www.darwinawards.com is awaiting you to join the ranks of the uninformed and, so they thought up to the point they joined, invincible. The Appalacian Trail sites and other related trail sites I visit generally warn trail-goers to wear orange when hunters are out in fall months. DNR sites usually warn us hunters that there will be those fools out there who still think we can see you if you are wearing tree-colored clothing. Being aware of the seasons is YOUR responsibility if you're out there. Assuming you're out there somewhere too is my responsibility. If I can't see you because you blend into your surroundings and choose not to follow common sense enough to put on a bit of orange (and then assume we can still see you) who's fault is that? YOURS!!!
    Last edited by JFWilder2; 12-13-2010 at 01:53 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JFWilder2
    I don't disagree that it's used for many purposes, but being aware that it's multi-use and a FOREST with DEER and also PUBLIC HUNTING land...common sense (there's that phrase again) dictates that you should be aware of what is going on aside from your own interest in that area and do the appropriate thing. 99.99% of hunters are safe and won't shoot if feel their bullet will carry somewhere dangerous if they miss.

If you're out there and NOT wearing orange in hunting season, www.darwinawards.com is awaiting you to join the ranks of the uninformed and, so they thought up to the point they joined, invincible. The Appalacian Trail sites and other related trail sites I visit generally warn trail-goers to wear orange when hunters are out in fall months. DNR sites usually warn us hunters that there will be those fools out there who still think we can see you if you are wearing tree-colored clothing. Being aware of the seasons is YOUR responsibility if you're out there. Assuming you're out there somewhere too is my responsibility. If I can't see you because you blend into your surroundings and choose not to follow common sense enough to put on a bit of orange (and then assume we can still see you) who's fault is that? YOURS!!!
    While wearing orange is certainly a good idea, most of the general public doesn't know when hunting season starts/ends. You're the guy with the gun, and if you are shooting across commonly used, public hiking/biking trails. You're the idiot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator
    While wearing orange is certainly a good idea, most of the general public doesn't know when hunting season starts/ends. You're the guy with the gun, and if you are shooting across commonly used, public hiking/biking trails. You're the idiot.
    The law actually REQUIRES me to wear orange during gun seasons. It has for years. I would even if there weren't a law, because I want hunters to see me too and not shoot. I known this since before I could hunt at 12. I took hunter's safety...and it's a requirement in MD too for most hunters unless grandfathered from hunting pre-1977. Did you? Just because the law doesn't state explicitely that you have to wear orange doesn't mean you should ignore common sense, or wear black at dusk just to piss us all off (we think some of you do).

Info on the seasons for hunting and what is public hunting land is widely available and easy to find. I cared enough to find this site and post here it for you. Generally, we do know where trails are. Rules say at least for the AT, we have to stay 150 yards away..not so for the "shed.". AT even advises non-hunters to wear orange during hunting seasons. Your trails are the same part of the natural environment we are hunting, so I'd suggest if you want to venture out in fall, put on some orange. Don't gripe at us if you're out there wearing forest colored clothing and we can't see you. Wear so much as an orange hat and I can see you easily.

You act like we are all intending on infringing on your trails with malice and intending on shooting too close to you on purpose. Get off your high horse and feeling of self importance and realize that we would rather not have to call your wife to tell her we shot you because you decided to be a dumb$hit and ignore a pretty general safety rule when riding in a forest during hunting season. See and be seen! You put a light on your bike at night, don't you? I put one on in daylight too. You're the guy on the bike, riding through what is commonly known to be public hunting land and deer country. Same philosophy. Take some responsibility yourself to find out when seasons are if you want to trek into the woods. Hunters were there long before mountain bikes were even invented.
    Last edited by JFWilder2; 12-13-2010 at 02:27 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The law actually REQUIRES me to wear orange during gun seasons. It has for years. I would even if there weren't a law, because I want hunters to see me too and not shoot. I known this since before I could hunt at 12. I took hunter's safety...and it's a requirement in MD too for most hunters unless grandfathered from hunting pre-1977. Did you? Just because the law doesn't state explicitely that you have to wear orange doesn't mean you should ignore common sense, or wear black at dusk just to piss us all off (we think some of you do).

Info on the seasons for hunting and what is public hunting land is widely available and easy to find. I cared enough to find this site and post here it for you. Generally, we do know where trails are. Rules say at least for the AT, we have to stay 150 yards away..not so for the "shed.". AT even advises non-hunters to wear orange during hunting seasons. Your trails are the same part of the natural environment we are hunting, so I'd suggest if you want to venture out in fall, put on some orange. Don't gripe at us if you're out there wearing forest colored clothing and we can't see you. Wear so much as an orange hat and I can see you easily.

You act like we are all intending on infringing on your trails with malice and intending on shooting too close to you on purpose. Get off your high horse and feeling of self importance and realize that we would rather not have to call your wife to tell her we shot you because you decided to be a dumb$hit and ignore a pretty general safety rule when riding in a forest during hunting season. See and be seen! You put a light on your bike at night, don't you? I put one on in daylight too. You're the guy on the bike, riding through what is commonly known to be public hunting land and deer country. Same philosophy. Take some responsibility yourself to find out when seasons are if you want to trek into the woods. Hunters were there long before mountain bikes were even invented.
    Why would I have taken a hunter safety course? I'm not a hunter.

The only one that seems to be on a high horse here is you. I'm not claiming you do stupid things, like shoot across publicly used trails, but if you do, and you shoot somebody. It's your fault.

I wear a bike like at night so I can see the trail, not so other can see me, so that's a stupid anology

And obviously if there are people out on the trail during hunting season without orange on, then it's not commonly known hunting land and you should be more careful.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Why would I have taken a hunter safety course? I'm not a hunter.

The only one that seems to be on a high horse here is you. I'm not claiming you do stupid things, like shoot across publicly used trails, but if you do, and you shoot somebody. It's your fault.

I wear a bike like at night so I can see the trail, not so other can see me, so that's a stupid anology

And obviously if there are people out on the trail during hunting season without orange on, then it's not commonly known hunting land and you should be more careful.

Dude, where are you coming from with this? JFWilder is obviously just trying to spread some info on the hunting going on because he is a responsible person. Why would he come on here and get in some stupid flame war over your sense of entitlement. Give it a rest. Hunters have a right to hunt. Don't be a DB and give the guy a hard time for spelling out some common sense. Oh, BTW, i'm not a hunter, but i do ride bikes, and i can see his point.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fracaxis
    Dude, where are you coming from with this? JFWilder is obviously just trying to spread some info on the hunting going on because he is a responsible person. Why would he come on here and get in some stupid flame war over your sense of entitlement. Give it a rest. Hunters have a right to hunt. Don't be a DB and give the guy a hard time for spelling out some common sense. Oh, BTW, i'm not a hunter, but i do ride bikes, and i can see his point.
    You guys are rich with this 'high horse' and 'entitlement' crap and you bring nothing to the conversation by calling names.

I already conceded the point that one should wear orange. All I'm saying is, if you see lots of people/bikers on a trail not wearing orange, then it's not commonly known as hunting land or hunting seasons aren't common knowledge. Take your pick. And if you see lots of people on these trails, then point your gun elsewhere. Just common sense.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You guys are rich with this 'high horse' and 'entitlement' crap and you bring nothing to the conversation by calling names.

I already conceded the point that one should wear orange. All I'm saying is, if you see lots of people/bikers on a trail not wearing orange, then it's not commonly known as hunting land or hunting seasons aren't common knowledge. Take your pick. And if you see lots of people on these trails, then point your gun elsewhere. Just common sense.
    I see too many people, I would go elsewhere for sure or move further off the trail...but this late in the season, I wouldn't expect it to be too crowded. If you do see orange...just wave and generally most hunters wave back to acknowledge we saw you and recognize you're out there...sort of our unspoken rule between hunters. Fair enough?

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    I see too many people, I would go elsewhere for sure or move further off the trail...but this late in the season, I wouldn't expect it to be too crowded. If you do see orange...just wave and generally most hunters wave back to acknowledge we saw you and recognize you're out there...sort of our unspoken rule between hunters. Fair enough?
    Thanks for the info. from another point of view. For me staying out of the Shed on weekdays and Saturdays during the rifle/muzzle season is not that big of a deal as bikes get full run of the place for the other 10 months. As for the Shed not being commonly known as hunting land, there are signs posted on trees ("public hunting area") and large signs on Gambrill Park Road, at the Hamburg Rd. and Sand Flats parking areas, and the other smaller lots throughout the Watershed.

Low Rep Count
    I appreciate you coming on here and providing some links. I appreciate how easily, someone can get shot while out there on their bikes with hunters in the area. I for one do not want to get shot or shot at. I got enough of that when I was in the Army. I don't hunt but I do ride. While I don't wear orange, I do wear a bright yellow jacket. Something a deer would not be caught dead in.

Unfortunately, I have only been to the shed once and my friend had a mechanical .49 miles into the trail so it was not much of a ride. But I can say that Schaeffer and the Hoyles mill area both have signs posted about the hunt that was going on as well as noted signs on a portion of the greenway trail. Honestly, I thought it was great to see the signs posted with dates of closures posted well in advance of the event. To know that the county or at least someone out there recognizes that we idiots are out there riding, walking, running...is great.

I will admit, every time I am out on the bike now I am actually looking for hunters. I am actually trying to see if I can find them. Unfortunately, they must all be frickn snipers because I have yet to see one. That or they are actually playing by the rules and only hunting when and where they are supposed to be.

Thanks again for your point of view and taking the time to spread the word. If I ever spook a deer while you and I are both out there, let me apologize right now. Especially since you will be the one with the gun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Actually...you bikers help keep some of the deer moving! Now if we could only get you to ride through some of those real nasty thickets for the stubborn big ones....

mtbr member
    I don't get why there's one party clearly at fault (the one with the guns) getting defensive. Thats like the dude who rear ends you at a red light and then gets out pissed like it was your fault.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I still don't get why fault is been thrown around. Awareness just serves to keep people safer. I'm sure the hunters don't want to accidentally shoot at someone just as much as people don't like to get shot at.

My little friends
    I still don't get why fault is been thrown around. Awareness just serves to keep people safer. I'm sure the hunters don't want to accidentally shoot at someone just as much as people don't like to get shot at.

Well said!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I am pretty sure the reason is because certain posters felt it necessary to repeatedly refer to others as "Idiots", "Stupid", "lacking common sense", "REI Clad Geeks".

This whole thing could have been handled in a more friendly manner and I am pretty sure there would not have been any "flaming".

We all know it is hunting season and what we "should" be doing, and the same goes for both the hunters and the recreational users. Unfortunately, there are users on both sides that dont always do the smart thing. Always has been and probably always will be.
    Ride Your Bicycle

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Just an FYI

If you look at the Maryland DNR hunting laws/regulations hunters can hunt (firearms) Monday - Saturday year round when hunting certain furbearers such as Coyote, Woodchuck and Nuticia at most state parks (including the Frederick Watershed). I just wanted to point this out so everyone is aware that it's not just Deer that get hunted. If I was going to ride in the Shed I'd ask popsicle to be my sponsor create the Creamsicle uniform for me to wear while riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

bikeboatbrewski
    How many Coyote, Woodchuck and Nuticia have you seen in the WS? More over what are the prefered settings for hunting the same?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

I'm not claiming you do stupid things, like shoot across publicly used trails, but if you do, and you shoot somebody. It's your fault.

So it may be his fault but you'll be the one dead.
    The guy is trying to get a point across that it isn't to bright to be out in the woods without some kind of blaze orange on during hunting season. Is that so difficult to comprehend?

Obviously they are clueless. They should be the ones being more careful! There are a lot of idiots in the world, hunters, hikers and bikers included. Don't become a statistic.
    I don't hunt. I do ride Mountain bikes but I don't usually go where there will most likely be hunters.
    It's actually against the law to be out in the woods, hunting or not, without blaze orange on in Virginia during hunting season. You can be ticketed for it!
    I always where an orange knit hat over my helmet from fall till spring even on Sundays. It's just good common sense!

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by FreekShow
    Just an FYI

If you look at the Maryland DNR hunting laws/regulations hunters can hunt (firearms) Monday - Saturday year round when hunting certain furbearers such as Coyote, Woodchuck and Nuticia at most state parks (including the Frederick Watershed). I just wanted to point this out so everyone is aware that it's not just Deer that get hunted. If I was going to ride in the Shed I'd ask popsicle to be my sponsor create the Creamsicle uniform for me to wear while riding.
    There is very little hunting activity up there outside of fire arms deer season and the short spring and fall turkey seasons. Obviously be aware, but regulars don't even think twice outside of those times. BTW, the Shed is not a state park, it is a municipal forest owned by the City of Frederick and managed as a wildlife management area by MD DNR.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scottybinwv View Post
    How many Coyote, Woodchuck and Nuticia have you seen in the WS? More over what are the prefered settings for hunting the same?
    There are tons of Coyote's up there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm a hunter and biker. I've been hunting up there since I was a kid. It can be a dangerous place at times even for a hunter wearing orange. No one is at fault here but the fact is bullets fly and high powered rifle bullets fly long distances. You wouldn't catch me out there riding during any of the gun seasons. There is more than one gun season BTW. Also there are a few days that you can hunt on Sundays now as well. Not sure if you can up there as I have not hunted that area in a while. PS: It's not a state park. Another thing. If I see a buck on the other side of a trail I'm well within my legal right to shoot at it as long as it's a safe shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schwin26 View Post
    Also there are a few days that you can hunt on Sundays now as well.
    Unless they changed it, this only applies to private land in certain counties.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Old thread , but maybe some of you are still around,
    I only started riding the WS 1.5 years ago. I take my dog with me a good bit of the time so I've always made damn sure I know when hunting seasons are in. He stays within 20-30 feet of me 99% of the time,( he used to chase deer/ critters but his recall is much better now/ using an e collar/ lots of training ) and we both wear bright orange hunting colors always.
    I think it is great that JFWilder has reached out here. Maybe he or someone else with considerable hunting knowledge can chime in.
    Due to their specialized/advanced nature, would you say that bow hunters and muzzle loader hunters are apt to make a mistake and shoot a human or dog with hunting vests on? Both of those weapons just seem like they would take so much skill and concentration to hit a target that the shooter would know exactly what they are shooting at, correct?
    I don't even think about going riding up there during regular firearms season, 'sept on Sundays. Unless this sign is wrong, as of Nov 16' when I snapped this pic, hunting is not allowed on Sundays anywhere in the 'shed.
    Another question. Do hunters view a biker riding down a trail as hurting or helping their chances of spotting/bagging a good kill?
    Other than the above, I realize anything can happen at anytime....kids with .22's , the guy who's just a pissed off gun owner having a bad day, vehicles going 60 on the gravel roads up there.....which I don't think you can ever have any control over, so I don't worry about those instances, otherwise we should all just stay home!
    Thanks for any help.
    Heres the current hunting calendar
    http://dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide...s_Calendar.pdf
    hunting season warning for Frederick water shed users-shedsign1.jpg

My little friends
    You are right about bowhunters; virtually no chance of them taking a wild shot, and most black powder hunters as well. Regular rifle season? Ride Sundays only! Most muzzleloader hunters are only out early or late in the day, so a mid day ride with bright colors "should" be safe. I'm sure some hunters view us bikers as a problem for them, while others feel that the deer will move around more, or get used to humans in the woods. A good hunter will not be hunting just off of any commonly used trails anyway. Of course; it's not the "good" hunters you worry about!

I am the owl
    There is still no hunting on Sundays in the watershed, only on private property in Fred. Co. I tend to stay out of the Shed during firearms deer seasons (including muzzleloader, although I've made a few exceptions on that one). Blaze orange if you are going to be out there. Also, hanging a bear bell off your seat rails will give an audio warning that you are passing by.

Most hunters I talk to like trail users because they keep the game moving, but some just don't like us at all.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Members who have read this thread: 0