mtbr member

Hunting in DE and MD?

I was wondering if anyone knows if hunting is allowed in either White Clay/ Middlerun or Fair Hill? I was looking to ride at one of these places this Sunday, but would rather not be mistaken for a deer. I guess you could throw Brandywine in there as well. I rode at Wiss last weekend and was looking to change it up this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky351
    I was wondering if anyone knows if hunting is allowed in either White Clay/ Middlerun or Fair Hill? I was looking to ride at one of these places this Sunday, but would rather not be mistaken for a deer. I guess you could throw Brandywine in there as well. I rode at Wiss last weekend and was looking to change it up this weekend.
    There is no hunting in PA, DE, or MD on Sundays.

Hunting is permitted at both White Clay Creek and at Fair Hill. At Fair Hill, it is almost exclusively bowhunting (I believe they have had special shotgun hunts in the past) and is never really a problem. No trail closures result.

At White Clay Creek, there is bowhunting from September to about the end of January, but trails are never affected. There are three 2-week shotgun seasons in November, December, and January that result in trail closures (excepting Sundays). Check the DNREC/White Clay Creek State Park websites for the exact dates (I'm too lazy to do it for you). Be aware that sometimes the rangers forget or do not get around to removing the trail barriers on Sundays during the shotgun season, but there is no hunting on Sunday and all trails are ridable.

There is generally no hunting in the Middle Run sections of the White Clay Creek State Park/Middle Run Natural Area trail system. They did have a special 2-day bow hunt last year, but I have not seen any notice of that this year, certainly not this weekend. If/when I see the signs go up for a special hunt, I will try to post the info.

Tim S

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info troutboy. Due to what looks like will be a bummer of a sunday, I probably won't make the trip. But for coming weekends it's good to know I shouldn't be getting shot at. At least not on Sunday's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I saw signs up at Middle Run yesterday

I saw signs up at Middle Run that the park will be CLOSED Dec 17 and 18 and also 2 days in January(I forget which, I think the 6th and 7th ?).
    Sir Dabs-alot

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    I saw signs up at Middle Run that the park will be CLOSED Dec 17 and 18 and also 2 days in January(I forget which, I think the 6th and 7th ?).

I saw the signs, too. I think the January dates are the 7th and 8th, so both December and January hunts will be Monday/Tuesday.

Of course, judging by the local forecast, it may be mid January before the trails are rideable!! And twice a week is my limit for spin class...

Members who have read this thread: 0