Hunters & Sherando- Mtbr.com
    I like Monkeys

Hunters & Sherando

A few of us are planning on heading up to Sherando next weekend. We'll be doing the same loop that the MTBR group did earlier in the year (up white rock to the parkway and down torry to slacks). I know that much of the trail is near the parkway but what can we expect from hunters in the area? We may go up on Sunday just to be safe.

Thanks. VA
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    A few of us are planning on heading up to Sherando next weekend. We'll be doing the same loop that the MTBR group did earlier in the year (up white rock to the parkway and down torry to slacks). I know that much of the trail is near the parkway but what can we expect from hunters in the area? We may go up on Sunday just to be safe.

Thanks. VA
    Who did you discuss this with? We were just talking about doing one next weekend (Sat) at the Tuesday night ride. HAHA.

I am about to have shoulder surgery again (it's an annual tradition at this point ) and wanted to hit up Sherando again beforehand.

Feb 2006
    We'll be up there this weekend for the CAMBC wild ride weekend. Doing Big Levels/Sherando Saturday and Whetstone Ridge Sunday. I'll likely just be hitting up a little bit of white rock Saturday as It will be my first ride back during my recovery (been off the bike for almost 4 weeks now). I'm also going to show up for the trail work session Saturday A.M.

www.cambc.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    We'll be up there this weekend for the CAMBC wild ride weekend. Doing Big Levels/Sherando Saturday and Whetstone Ridge Sunday. I'll likely just be hitting up a little bit of white rock Saturday as It will be my first ride back during my recovery (been off the bike for almost 4 weeks now). I'm also going to show up for the trail work session Saturday A.M.

www.cambc.org
    Recovery? From what? You ok?

Too bad I'll miss this weekend, as I have obligations already.

Feb 2006
    Yeah, I was off my feet for a bit due to some severe inflamation in my hip. It was actually almost at the point that they were going to detach all of my muscle tissue, tendons/soft tissue at my hip to release pressure off my sciatic nerve, which was completely pinched to the point that I lost all motor control from the hip down. It was pretty bad, and the steroid treatment I had to go through to get the inflamation down was absolutely hell on earth for a while. I was on such a heavy dose I was having severe hallucinations (think very very VERY bad trip) and a lot of other mental and physiological side effects. I hope I never go through that again.

Feeling much better finally though.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was off my feet for a bit due to some severe inflamation in my hip. It was actually almost at the point that they were going to detach all of my muscle tissue, tendons/soft tissue at my hip to release pressure off my sciatic nerve, which was completely pinched to the point that I lost all motor control from the hip down. It was pretty bad, and the steroid treatment I had to go through to get the inflamation down was absolutely hell on earth for a while. I was on such a heavy dose I was having severe hallucinations (think very very VERY bad trip) and a lot of other mental and physiological side effects. I hope I never go through that again.

Feeling much better finally though.
    Dang bro! Maybe you were pushing it just a tad much, eh?

I like Monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Who did you discuss this with? We were just talking about doing one next weekend (Sat) at the Tuesday night ride. HAHA.

I am about to have shoulder surgery again (it's an annual tradition at this point ) and wanted to hit up Sherando again beforehand.
    I talked to Scott about it. He said that he had both days available, we could do both days and a friend who has never done it has to work on saturday. So it looks like we're probably shooting for Sunday which will also solve the hunter problem. I know that probably takes you out of the picture;-(

Edit: I wish we could go on Saturday but we're trying to get a trip for those who haven't been able to make the other two trips we've done up there. This will allow them both to go.
    Last edited by VaughnA; 10-25-2007 at 07:21 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You probably already did this trip, but I'll share my experience. I went to Sherando the first week of December last year, and I wouldn't do that again. There were more hunters than there could've been deer and none of them waved, said hi, or anything more than slowly watch us drive by. Some were drinking and I saw one guy hiding or retrieving something from behind a door panel.

As for right now, it's only bowhunting season. I would say much safer and kinder hunters. I ran into one on monday near the Confederate Breastworks who asked us how long we'd been out and how far we were going, and told us about another route.

After muzzleloading season starts (sometime in the next couple weeks), I'd stick to local parks for a couple months.

I like Monkeys
    But Sunday should be ok unless someone is poaching, I hope!

mtbr member
    if you go during the week and saturdays it's probably best to stay away from the Big Levels area. i think the White Rock-BRP-Torry-Slacks-White Rock loop is fairly safe given its proximity to Sherando and the BRP. but i still wouldn't go on any day but Sunday.

i'm planning to hit the loop this Sunday if anyone wants to meet up.
    will there be beer?

I like Monkeys
    We have a group leaving Lynchburg around 9, we should be there around 10-10:30. Maybe we'll see you there.

VaughnA

Feb 2006
    Tom, you should meet up with Vaugh and the L'burg crew. Fun bunch to ride with!

I wish I could be thewre tomorrow guys. Have fun and rip some single track for me.

I like Monkeys
    Tom, you should meet up with Vaugh and the L'burg crew. Fun bunch to ride with!

I wish I could be thewre tomorrow guys. Have fun and rip some single track for me.
    I'm bringing the missus and one of her friends, It will be an easy and fun pace. I wish you could be there tomorrow as well. The spring trip spoiled me for Sherando, this route is great for everyone.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Scott & I ended up doing a different ride today. One I try & do at least once a year, but hadn't been for 2 years. It is VERY technical and super epic. The ~18 mi. loop takes at LEAST 3 hours.

What a super day!!! (this pic is from the last time I rode it)

I like Monkeys
    Well Scott should be glad he made yesterdays ride. His car broke down and he needs to fix it today. So yet again he's missing Sherando. So far I've had no responses on the emails. So it may be me, my wife and her friend. It's going to be a beautiful day.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter

Nice, where is this place?

mtbr member
    Rich, it's Jefferson National Forest, Petite's Gap area. 95% Singletrack ride along Sulfur Springs/ Balcony Falls/ Glenwood Horse Trail/ Belfast Trail with a 1.5 mi connector along a fireroad from Belfast to Sulfur Springs. Absolutely beautiful vistas along the ridgelines that comprise 60% of the ride...Balcony Falls trail is extremly rocky & littered with log crossings. I sliced my rear tire pretty bad on a rock & was a bit concerned I may have to walk it out. Fortunately, I macguyver;d it with some spare tube & duct tape

mtbr member
    I ended up going to Walnut Creek in the afternoon. Too much tailgating before & after the UVA-Wake Forest football game on Saturday prevented me from motivating in the morning.

I hope the ride was a good one!
    will there be beer?

Members who have read this thread: 0