How to get into racing?- Mtbr.com

May 2008

How to get into racing?

I just started riding this summer and now I am totally hooked. I ride 4-5 days a week and feel that I'm in pretty good shape and would like to try out a race to see just how slow I am . I guess there aren't many this time of year but where can I find out about amateur races in the area?

www.justthebonnet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Harolev
    I just started riding this summer and now I am totally hooked. I ride 4-5 days a week and feel that I'm in pretty good shape and would like to try out a race to see just how slow I am . I guess there aren't many this time of year but where can I find out about amateur races in the area?
    Not sure what your area is. Obviously google your state name & mountain bike racing & you should come up with some regional races.
    Also, www.usacycling.org will have a listing of races.

Then there is always www.bikereg.com that has regional & state listings.

The simplest way is to talk to local riders/racers & find out some websites or local shops that put on races. In the mid atlantic area there are always races.

Then go race & have fun. Watch the semi-pro races & pick up some points.

Keep riding & keep racing, you'll eventually get better on a level. Ride with people faster than you so you learn to push your limits & appreciate suffering. On the mtn bike, learn your technical skills. Bike handling is huge.

When you feel confident on the trail, pick up a road bike & expand you base aerobic capacity. Work hard on the road.

Congrats, now you are ready to dominate the sport class. Man-up & move on to expert & suffer on a whole new level!!!!

When all this fails, resign to drinking lots o beer & appreciate the "ride".

Welcome to Mtn biking, its addictive
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun

When all this fails, resign to drinking lots o beer & appreciate the "ride".
    Can I get an "AMEN"??!!
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    http://www.masuperseries.com/MASS2008/index.html

This is the series I raced the last 2 years...tons of fun and great people...be prepared...4-5 days of riding cetainly is good but you'll be very surprised how it's just the tip of the iceberg as to what you think your fitness level is...go out to your favorite riding area...hammer it for 1.5-2 hours...don't stop...pegg it...legs burn...feel like your going to puke....there ya go....now your racing...

http://www.mountainbikeracer.com/upcomingraces/list.php

Here is another location for race listings...it becomes very addictive, then very expensive (cause ya gotta have it all),then when ya keep getting spanked, you start becoming a weight weeny, cut the weight ya...get a little faster....cut some more....agian faster....then the money starts getting ridiculous, so YOU start dropping weight, watching what ya eat, no more drinking, just water, lots and lots of water...oooppss now for the supplements, damn I'm getting really hooked and obsessed...oh what the heck lets just go for a ride and celebrate afterwards with an awesome burrito and beer!

Go give it a try man it really is a blast...hanging out with tons of people that love MTBR is a blast...

Ed

Because I am !
    davis, I'll 3rd that - Oh, AMEN! All those in favor say, hell yeah !

Well said Capt

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

W.M.A.
    a perfect intro race - http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=7175

for me it was my gateway race a few years ago that started the addiction... which as CG mentioned above led to involvement with the more hardcore stuff - www.masuperseries.com

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=459890

May 2008
    thanks for the help everyone. The marsh creek race was the only race I found that I'd be able to do to and I will try to get out there next weekend. Its a little further than I wanted to travel (2 hours from towson) but I can swing it. Its nice to hear that it is a good beginner race but I'm a little worried about racing my first time on that trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Also check out EX2. They have a good local race series. Wakefield is a good beginner racer track.

http://www.ex2adventures.com/

Not that bad of a drive from the Townson area.

Their race calendar comes out January 1.

mtbr member
    I second that any race at wakefield is a good race to get into it. Racing is a heck of a lot of fun, but like its been said, you just gotta be ready to push your body really hard for a decent amount of time. knowing the course helps a lot, lets to know where your strengths are, and weaknesses, where to go as fast as you can, where to take it easy, etc etc. riding 4-5 times a week is pretty good, that marsh creek beginner class is only a 9 mile race. get yourself a cycle computer, its a great training tool, helps you track your performance, as far as time, average speed, etc... so, just give it a shot, and have fun, and be ready to SUFFER! haha. you'll have a blast. Honestly the best way to find out what you need to do to get ready to race, is go racing.... you'll know pretty quick. heh.
    have fun!

mtbr member
    That place is very good for a beg...just go do it...They have a pre-ride tomorrow...or get there early and preiride in an easy spin, would be a good warm up...welcome to racing dude, like everyone said, SUFFER but worth it, next spring is the time to really start racing. Training hard in Jan...to reach a good peak by Jun...IT does get easier but that,ll be about the time you need to move up to Sport . Drive times in this area if you want to race every weekend can be from one hour to five...Once hooked you will drive...heck last 2 yrs Nationals was in Vermont, this summer it,s in Colorado!

Ed

Members who have read this thread: 0