hey WVa folks!- Mtbr.com

Thread: hey WVa folks!

i worship Mr T

hey WVa folks!

a friend of mine and i are heading your way for the July 4 weekend. woo hoo! can't wait.

we'll be camping in the New River Gorge area and would love suggestions for trails etc. wouldn't mind company either!

thanks!

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

the unvarnished nonsense
    sorry *rt*, but that's not my neck of the woods so no suggestions from me, unless you're planning on driving up to the Monongahela Nat'l Forest. I bet LowCel knows some of the trails in that area, though.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I would recommend....

PM'ing Lowcel for a ride at Kanawha Forest. Here's a link to a few weeks ago when I was out there in my ol stomping grounds. It's about an hour from where you'll be.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=105672

I'd, of course, would LOVE to join ya, but I'll be in Cincinnati this weekend and I don't think the GF would like me being gone all day for a ride in Charleston.
    New River also has alot of great riding. I would recommend visiting Ridge Riders there for one of the tours, but I've heard that they've closed down. I really don't know who gives tours out there nowadays. Morgantown also has some great riding, but it's a couple hours drive from where you'll be at. I just did the Morgantown gathering last weekend, but haven't gotten a chance to do a write up yet. Sometime next week.

Anyhow, hope you have fun there and remember .....if ya hear banjo pickings out in the woods.....RUN.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    sorry *rt*, but that's not my neck of the woods so no suggestions from me, unless you're planning on driving up to the Monongahela Nat'l Forest. I bet LowCel knows some of the trails in that area, though.
    yeah, i figured we'd be a bit far from your stomping grounds. bummer

i'll give LowCel a shout.

thanks!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    PM'ing Lowcel for a ride at Kanawha Forest. Here's a link to a few weeks ago when I was out there in my ol stomping grounds. It's about an hour from where you'll be.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=105672

I'd, of course, would LOVE to join ya, but I'll be in Cincinnati this weekend and I don't think the GF would like me being gone all day for a ride in Charleston.
    New River also has alot of great riding. I would recommend visiting Ridge Riders there for one of the tours, but I've heard that they've closed down. I really don't know who gives tours out there nowadays. Morgantown also has some great riding, but it's a couple hours drive from where you'll be at. I just did the Morgantown gathering last weekend, but haven't gotten a chance to do a write up yet. Sometime next week.

Anyhow, hope you have fun there and remember .....if ya hear banjo pickings out in the woods.....RUN.
    hmmm, can't PM from work, but i'll try paging him. thanks for the suggestion.

ya, don't think the GF would be too thrilled with you if you disappeared for a day! next time!

don't know if we need a formal tour (though that might be nice) but any recs on good rides that we can get would be excellent. i'll definitely try to get ahold of LowCel.

thanks!

rt - riding as quickly as possible at the first sound of banjos picking!!

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    hmmm, can't PM from work, but i'll try paging him. thanks for the suggestion.

ya, don't think the GF would be too thrilled with you if you disappeared for a day! next time!

don't know if we need a formal tour (though that might be nice) but any recs on good rides that we can get would be excellent. i'll definitely try to get ahold of LowCel.

thanks!

rt - riding as quickly as possible at the first sound of banjos picking!!

Another sugestion....ya might try Ace Whitewater if you're looking for a tour. I'm not sure if they do and tours of the Gourge or just their own trails. I wish I could help ya some more, but it's just been too long since I've even been to that area and that was for a race 3 yrs ago. Even so, I was just starting to get to know the trails there when I moved away. Well, I hope you 2 have a great time and honor us w/ a write up and pics of your adventure to Wild, Wonderful West "By God" Virginia!

mtbr member
    If you'll be in the southern end of new river gorge its not but 1.5 to 2 hours from blacksburg, VA. You could go check out some of their rides (brush mt).

mtbr member

another 1.5 hr driving option

I wish I had closer-in suggestions; I hear the New River Gorge is super-cool. Certainly there is great whitewater nearby. If you're already thinking about driving a short distance, the beloved Douthat State Park is 1.5 hrs east over the Va. border, pretty much a straight shot on the interstate (mapquest to Clifton Forge for an idea).

Not sure what to type?

Better late than never...

Sorry for the late reply but I just got back from some fun in the sun at Myrtle Beach.

It won't do you any good now but maybe someone will get some use out of it.
    I used to ride in the New River Gorge area allot when I lived in Summersville, WV which is about 30 minutes away. The two main trails that I rode are Kaymoor to Cunard and Cunard to Thurmond.

The Kaymoor to Cunard trail is a pretty tame trail the winds along the side of the gorge. It's about 8 miles long and has some great view of the gorge with the river below.
    This can be an out and back trail or make a loop by taking the paved roads back to the parking area.
    The Cunard to Thurmond is a mostly flat trail the follow the New River for about 7 mile to the little town of Thurmond. You can ride across the river and check out the out train station. This trial is definetly an out and back trail unless you want to ride US Rt 19 back to Fayetteville.
    You can get more info on trail in the area by check with the folks at New River Bike. A great group of folks that bought out the old Ridge Rider shop.

Hope this helps some people and have fun on the trails.
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!