Henry Clay 30K course- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Henry Clay 30K course

Could anyone tell me what the course route for the Henry Clay 30K has been in the past?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Start at parking lot for the furance. 1.5 to 2 mile road/hill climb to first trail across from The Furnance downhill/crosscounrty ski trail. Go thru dirt parking lot, across street and down scotts run. Climb the old "money" climb. Cross street to fire road and make right on first single track. FLY thru single track. From there it's winding around the trials and they usually change it around a little yr to yr. I could take you thru it on a ride, but I describe it. I know that towards the end you head down the furance downhill and make a right at the end of the trail for a mile of technical climbing back to the parking lot. At least every yr that I did it. Sport is about 16 or 17 mile. Good luck. When is the race?

mtbr member
    The race is this sunday (sept. 11). Thus far the weather is looking nice. As of yesterday the course was marked, but it's a bit confusing in spots. I assume they'll have people out in those arrows point the way to the finish.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoses
    The race is this sunday (sept. 11). Thus far the weather is looking nice. As of yesterday the course was marked, but it's a bit confusing in spots. I assume they'll have people out in those arrows point the way to the finish.

DON'T assume that. I usually only see them at the major intersections. I don't think you'll see anyone giving directions after the money climb until it's time for the beginners to split off. Then they point everyone where they needed to go. After that I don't recall seeing directions pointers until the bottom of the Henry Clay Furnance trail where they point people towards the parking lot.

It's a great race and I always enjoyed it. I've done it 4 or 5 times. My profile pic is of the last time I raced in it. Fast and technical enough to keep ya interested. Becareful after crossing the the street to Scotts Run at the start of the race. Very fast, very tight. not much time to stop you or the guy in front of you goes down. The Money climb thins the crowd out some. Unless you're in top notch shape, I wouldn't waste the energy climbing it. Too many people at that point. A fun climb on a regular ride though. Watch out for hikers though. Have seen a couple out there during the race before who seem oblivous to the fact that there's 200 people flying by them.

Good luck. Is this your first race? We expect a write up w/ pics sometime next week.
    Last edited by crashedandburned; 09-08-2005 at 06:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Not my first race, but am a first timer in the henry clay. Yea, coopers is quite a place for the hikers. I'd love to see the look on the face of some hiker out on the trail for a nice, peaceful sunday hike with their dog and then BAM! dozens of bikers come screaming down a hill staight for 'em. Its almost like one of those mastercard commercials: Clif bar-$2, Race entry fee:$30, seeing the look on a hikers face when suddenly confronted by a rabid herd of adrenaline pumped bike racers-priceless. God I love this sport!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoses
    Yea, coopers is quite a place for the hikers. I'd love to see the look on the face of some hiker out on the trail for a nice, peaceful sunday hike with their dog and then BAM! dozens of bikers come screaming down a hill staight for 'em. Its almost like one of those mastercard commercials: Clif bar-$2, Race entry fee:$30, seeing the look on a hikers face when suddenly confronted by a rabid herd of adrenaline pumped bike racers-priceless. God I love this sport!

Ya, I admit, I get a little sick pleasure out of to. What I REALLY love is when I'm taking a break at the Coopers overlook and someone comes up to ask me if I REALLY ride my bike on such rough trails.

You live in Mo-town now? I'm going to be be camping at Sandsprings in a couple weeks.