help with a new rear wheel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

help with a new rear wheel

my rear wheel in my bike is about to give out, so i am trying to order a new one before it totally gives out. i ride a 1999 k2 zed v. up untill last summer i rode sporaticly at best. last summer i rode real hard, so that's why the wheel is about to give out. i don't have a clue what i need. if someone could help i would certainly appreciate it. somewhere on line or a local store would be great. i am in the gaithersburg area.
    one more question. is that something that i could install myself once i get it. i can handle basic bike repair, and occasionally something a little bigger.
    thanks for any sugestions

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976
    my rear wheel in my bike is about to give out, so i am trying to order a new one before it totally gives out. i ride a 1999 k2 zed v. up untill last summer i rode sporaticly at best. last summer i rode real hard, so that's why the wheel is about to give out. i don't have a clue what i need. if someone could help i would certainly appreciate it. somewhere on line or a local store would be great. i am in the gaithersburg area.
    one more question. is that something that i could install myself once i get it. i can handle basic bike repair, and occasionally something a little bigger.
    thanks for any sugestions
    One acronym: LBS. Go to your local bike shop with said wheel. They'll look at it and figure out what's going on, if it's salvageable, and probably have the parts you need in stock. That's better than us trying to figure out from a very unspecific description on the web. Here's half a dozen stores 20 minutes away from you. Good luck.
    Last edited by Drevil; 06-26-2005 at 11:47 AM.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    One acronym: LBS. Go to your local bike shop with said wheel. They'll look at it and figure out what's going on, if it's salvageable, and probably have the parts you need in stock. That's better than us trying to figure out from a very unspecific description on the web. Here's half a dozen stores 20 minutes away from you. Good luck.
    i know its not salvageable. the last time i was at HTO getting my bike serviced, the bike tech told me it was about to go. he told me what to look for, and its happening. unfortunatly getting to a shop may be a little difficult for me with my work schedule, that's why i am trying to figure it out on my own. i have found a wheel that i think will work. if anybody has any input, i would appreciate it.
    link

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You should be able to find a compatible wheel either from an online bike store or on ebay for a decent price and have it shipped. Depending on how many gears you have in the back, you may be able to find a wheel on ebay with a matching cassette(gears in the back) so all you would have to do is remove your old wheel and pop in the new.

I believe 9 speed wheel in question is backwards compatible with 8 and 7 speeds, but it may require some spacers for the 7. How many gears are on your bike?

If you get one without a cassette you will have to either remove the one you have now to put on your new wheel or buy a new cassette (but beware, if you get a new cassette, you may need a new chain, in which case you may need new chainrings for your crank...these components generally wear together and when you start mixing and matching, it results in poor shifting)

In any event if you have to change any of this you will need a cassette tool and perhaps a chain whip, so it may be cheaper to take it into a bike shop if you don't see yourself changing it out much in the future. Take a look at this link for more info: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQcogs.shtml

Take a look at these websites as they provide a wealth of info on repairs.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    thanks for the advice. i got the new wheel from a local rei. the bike tech there told me what i would need to do the work. i used the cassette that i had. it took me about a half hour to pull the ole wheel off, and get the new one on.