GW Nat'l forest multi-day ride...- Mtbr.com
    Shop *****

GW Nat'l forest multi-day ride...

Doing a huge trip, 5-7 days of biking/camping/fishing, etc at the GW Nat'l forest. Been checking out regulations rules and etc, and just wondering what I should bring up there.

So far what I'm thinking is...

Dakine Apex or Nomad
    1 person tent
    Sleeping pad
    My fishing rod and reel (Awesome $200 combo from my dad.. Really light, carbon and Ti rod and reel, feels great)
    Some hooks, sinkers and arti. bait
    Foldable shovel
    Essentials (Spare D hanger, Chain tool, Spare Rear D, Extra chain links, etc)
    Gatorade Powder
    Matches and a lighter
    2 packs of freeze dried food

Trying to keep weight down.
    Taking my soon-to-be-built Transiton Covert w/ Magura Wotan fork.
    Planning on going around the end of school (June/July)

Anything else I should be worried about? Anyone else want to go? It's gonna be laid back and scenic, not 40 miles a day fast, no breaks crap. I want to have a good time, go swimming, camp, tell stores... Generally have fun.
    Anyway, thanks for looking...
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

www.justthebonnet.com
    most important...water purifier. Need to drink clean water to live and just cause the creek looks clear doesn't mean it is safe.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

Shop *****
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    most important...water purifier. Need to drink clean water to live and just cause the creek looks clear doesn't mean it is safe.
    I was gonna do the boil-for-3-minutes trick, but I might also pack a filter. I've been reading up on REI's backpacking tips and tricks.

Shop *****
    Anything else, or do I have everything I need?

I am the owl
    Where are you planning on riding with your loaded bike? Fire roads or singletrack? Because if it's singletrack, be prepared, it won't be easy. You can scroll to the July 5th entry here and see what I mean.

Water is another huge thing that's been touched on here, but probably not enough. Depending on where you are going and what time of year it is, it can be scarce and far between if you are strictly going to filter.

Also, it's bear territory, take the usual precautions with food and cooking.

Question: 2 packs of dried food? How much food is in each pack that will carry you 5-7 days?

Go as light as possible, every pound adds up fast.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Shop *****
    Well, I read the whole writeup, that's about where I was planning on going (Near the SM100 trail)
    By water, you mean Potable water, with no filter.
    I am talking mountain streams, brooks, lakes, etc. Places I can go out of my way for an hour and swim at, camp near, stuff like that. Also, I don't have any real destinations, except for making it to the end of the trail in 7 days, if all's good. Possibly longer if I am likin' the time out.
    I want to go fishing for food, camp under the clear sky without light polution... All the stuff any teenager coming out of High School wants to do.. Eh? I am imagining it to be something like the experience of Alaska, which your writeup proved. Lots of rock, hiking, but also DH and fun stuff. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
    Also: Taking more freeze dried food, and possibly my dad.

I am the owl
    You will have a fun time, no doubt. We were a good deal north of SM100 territory. The trails down there are where the race is held are less rocky, so you can make better time - don't worry, they are still plenty challenging and lots of fun, one of my favorite places to ride.

About the water: We were carrying a filter. It was back country, no chance of potable stuff around. Where we were any water sources were scarce. A lot of mountain streams dry up after spring. Just do your research so you know you'll have a ready source for drinking and rehydrating your food. There are a couple of decent sized streams/rivers around the SM100 stuff and a couple of good lakes (Todd Lake is one).

Have fun and go out on an overnighter or two before you do your big trip so you can shake down your equipment and get a feel for what you are are dealing with. Also, a few back up items like zip ties, dental floss (for sewing tires, tents, etc.), duct tape and a couple of spare spokes can save your trip. Your bike is going to be carrying a heavier than normal load and stuff will fail easier. Speaking from experience here from other trips, we made some great MacGyver repairs in the field that have kept us from having to pull the plug.
    Last edited by riderx; 09-20-2007 at 06:43 PM.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Shop *****
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    You will have a fun time, no doubt. We were a good deal north of SM100 territory. The trails down there are where the race is held are less rocky, so you can make better time - don't worry, they are still plenty challenging and lots of fun, one of my favorite places to ride.

About the water: We were carrying a filter. It was back country, no chance of potable stuff around. Where we were any water sources were scarce. A lot of mountain streams dry up after spring. Just do your research so you know you'll have a ready source for drinking and rehydrating your food. There are a couple of decent sized streams/rivers around the SM100 stuff and a couple of good lakes (Todd Lake is one).

Have fun and go out on an overnighter or two before you do your big trip so you can shake down your equipment and get a feel for what you are are dealing with. Also, a few back up items like zip ties, dental floss (for sewing tires, tents, etc.), duct tape and a couple of spare spokes can save your trip. Your bike is going to be carrying a heavier than normal load and stuff will fail easier. Speaking from experience here from other trips, we made some great MacGyver repairs in the field that have kept us from having to pull the plug.
    For sure. I plan on getting a 130mm travel F/R bike to take on the trip, as compared to my 45lb FR rig. So, I know what it's like to pedal 45lbs of suction up a hill. It's not fun to say the least... Good idea on the zip ties and dental floss. That is a good idea, for sure. I am gonna go to some of the lakes in the area, but I also want some techy DH.. Which it sounds like an awesome time
    You are making me more pumped up and ready to go.. Damn you! It's still almost a year off

I am the owl
    I think you need to go down and do some reconnaissance rides

A few pix of the GW to hold you over.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Shop *****
    "Recon" missions sounds good.. Hmm.. Hey mom, I'm going to a friends house.. For 5 days.. lol

Members who have read this thread: 0