Gunpowder trails from Rt. 7?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Gunpowder trails from Rt. 7?

Is there a entrance to the Gundpowder trails via Rt.7 (philadelphia Rd.)? I drove North past New Forge Road, and thought I saw an drop into some trails, any good riding back there?

I am the owl
    Just a few miles. Nothing special. Check the MD DNR website, I think they have info on the trails there.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

kevboz
    Jul 2007
    Did you get an answer to this. I drove down RT 7 just yesterday and saw a few bikes parked right next to the river. They were on the right while I was heading east.
    I normally park at the entrance on Rt 1. Plenty of parking

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I haven't found an answer yet regarding an entrance to trails on rt.7. But it looks like you could park at that biker bar across the street and ride into the park. There is some sort of gate there, looks locked for cars, but passible for a bike. I wonder if there are trails in there.

I am the owl
    Did you miss post #2?
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The DNR site didn't mention anything specific to an entrance on Rt.7. I'm more curious to know if trails can reach Belair Road while enter from Rt.7

I am the owl
    As I recall, the trail listed here connects to Rt. 7 even though it doesn't explicitly state it. It's been years since I've been on it. Just pop in there and go exploring.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Sep 2007
    I was at Gunpowder (Lost Pond loop) this past weekend. I was parked at the Rt 1 (Belair Rd) entrance. It was my 1st time there, and I somehow got off the regular trail. I ended up way back next to 95. I didn't see anything that appeared to take you under 95, but you might be able to find a way along the river. I only mention it because it might be easier to find a way throughfrom the north side of 95.

Ride.Recover.Beer.
    If you cross the main river, via the huge rocks in the middle, there is a trail on the other side that takes you under 95 and beyond. How far beyond, I don't know.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by briank10
    If you cross the main river, via the huge rocks in the middle, there is a trail on the other side that takes you under 95 and beyond. How far beyond, I don't know.
    Cool, thanks for the tip. It was my first time there, and I didn't have the Baltimore trails book yet. The big rocks you mentioned in the river, are they the ones right before the trail hits the rocky section and starts to climb inward? I thought I saw a trail over on the other side, but didn't know how to get there, or if it was a valid trail (valid meaning a trail of any length). How difficult a trail is it? I am still a rookie, and I found the trails somewhat technical on the regular Lost Pond loop.

Ride.Recover.Beer.
    I haven't been on the far side of the river since this past winter, but I know, or atleast assume there is a trail that will run to 95 on "our" side of the water. After seeing 2 hikers, a lone MTB'er, & a park ranger on a horse, coming from under 95 towards 7 when I was on the far side, there has to be a trail right? Once the brush & tick's die down, and leaves fall, I'll go exploring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Any updates? I'm thinking of heading out this weekend. Again, ideally I'd like to park by that Gunpowder falls Biker Bar, and enter at the gate across rt. 7.

When parking at rt.1, what trail do you follow?
    I tried going down the trail that parallel the stream for the most part, but it became all rocks, not passable by bike. Do you need to cross the stream to find a biking trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There's no parking available with the exception of some beat-up bar right there but there's a paved entrance into the Gunpowder where it cross rt. 7.

Your best bet is to take Jones Road (I think) which is a beat-up country road that connects 7 and 40. There's an official Gunpowder parking lot there. If you find your way down to the trails and under the railroad tracks, it's actually a nice relaxing ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0